Use family license of 1password 7 on an older version

nomve
nomve
Community Member

Hi,

I have the opposite problem of most people in that I have a family license for version 7, but a family member is stuck on an older version of macOS which is only supported by 1password 4. When I installed v4, I only see the option for a license file, which I don't see where I could download. I guess with v7 there is no license file, since it's a subscription. I don't really remember how I registered my version, it was over a year ago. Is there a way to get this done without a macOS update so v7 can be used (which is unfortunately not an option).

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nomve! Welcome to the forum!

a family member is stuck on an older version of macOS which is only supported by 1password 4

Can you please let us know what version of macOS this is? Thank you!

• nomve
    nomve
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana it's 10.9.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nomve:

Thank you for the confirmation. That version is indeed extremely old now. You are right that the only version of 1Password that can run on such an old operating system is 1Password 4, but in order to use a 1Password account, you need at least 1Password version 6.6.

Is there a way to get this done without a macOS update so v7 can be used (which is unfortunately not an option).

A macOS update will be necessary I am afraid. 1Password 7 requires at least macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later. And even the older version 6 requires at least Yosemite 10.10 or later.

• nomve
    nomve
    Community Member

@ag_ana I understand v7 requires a new macOS, but this is not possible. I mean it is technically possible, but then other software will not work.

So just to be clear: it's not possible to use a family license from v7 for v4?
    And also: would it be possible to use a v7 license for v6? I might be able to upgrade to 10.11.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

How did you get that family license for v7?

AgileBits has mentioned multiple times on this forum that they do not sell family licenses for v7, so I'm surprised that you have one.

Instead they offer:

• individual licenses for v7
    • 1Password.com Family subscriptions
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nomve:

So just to be clear: it's not possible to use a family license from v7 for v4?

Correct, it's not possible.

To clarify: what you are referring to as a "family license" is actually a 1Password Families account, which is paid with a subscription instead. As per my previous post, in order to use a 1Password account, you need at least 1Password version 6.6 in order to use 1Password accounts (including Families accounts) in the app.

And also: would it be possible to use a v7 license for v6? I might be able to upgrade to 10.11.

If you can install a recent version of 1Password 6 (at least version 6.6), you will be able to add your Families account there ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@XIII:

He is actually referring to 1Password Families:

I guess with v7 there is no license file, since it's a subscription.

You are correct that we do not sell family licenses for 1Password 7.

• nomve
    nomve
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

@ag_ana @XIII yes, correct. I have a family subscription. Anyway, we will then try to upgrade to 10.10 or 10.11 and use v6. It will probably be too much of a hassle, but it's an option. Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! If you need any help in the process, we are always here :)

This discussion has been closed.