Understanding version 7 (old version 6 user)

hallygally
hallygally
Community Member

For years after we have used version 6 we now changed to an online account and upgraded to version 7. The reason was that version 6 had serious sync problems with dropbox (don´t let´s discuss this here please). A handfull of problems came up and I try to understand the overall changes and the new concept. So here are my questions:
1. My wife and I always had separate vaults in version 6 which was pretty easy to organize. We do not need a separation with the new version 7, so this is no problem (I know we can update to family). However, after sign up online and installing version 7 I now have more accounts than needed: an online personal account, another online account with a given name from me, two accounts on my mac (mine and the one from my wife) and last one account on my dropbox. What are the differences between the one "on my Mac" and "In Dropbox"? I have 2 vaults separatly on the dropbox though, my wife´s doesn´t seem to appear in the "In Dropbox" section.
2. A new Login which I created does only appear on my Primary vault "On my Mac" and is not synced with the other ones. Why? I want all my logins accessable on all my devices. How can I do this?
3. I cannot rename the "Personal" account to any name?

Thanks for helping

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hallygally!

an online personal account, another online account with a given name from me, two accounts on my mac (mine and the one from my wife) and last one account on my dropbox. What are the differences between the one "on my Mac" and "In Dropbox"? I have 2 vaults separatly on the dropbox though, my wife´s doesn´t seem to appear in the "In Dropbox" section.

Since you decided to start using a 1Password Membership, you should only use that one to sync your data, to avoid confusion. It looks like you still have multiple vaults stored in multiple places. I recommend migrating them to 1Password.com to you can manage them more easily.

1. A new Login which I created does only appear on my Primary vault "On my Mac" and is not synced with the other ones. Why? I want all my logins accessable on all my devices. How can I do this?

That's because you stored them in your Primary vault, which is not synced with your other devices. You should move your data to your 1Password.com vault in order for it to appear on all your other devices.

1. I cannot rename the "Personal" account to any name?

That is correct, the Personal vault cannot be renamed. It's the only vault with this requirement: any other vault you create in your 1Password.com account can be named as you please, but the Personal one is the exception.

• hallygally
    hallygally
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply @ag_ana . Regarding migrating, I followed the steps yesterday as described but my vaults were always greyed out. So in the end I just moved all data into the primary account and they are now synced. Still some questions popped up:
    Can I delete every other vault/account ("In Dropbox" and "On my Mac")? Just keep the primary account? Will there be any vault left on my mac and where do I find it?

Thanks for the help

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hallygally:

If you want to use your 1Password account, you should not use the Primary vault anymore. Your Primary vault is not stored inside your new account, but somewhere else (on Dropbox in this case). The only vaults you should use are the ones in your 1Password account, not viceversa (to see which vaults are inside your 1Password account, you can login in a browser, because on the 1Password.com website you will only see your online vaults).

Instead, you should move everything from your Primary vault and to your 1Password account.

• hallygally
    hallygally
    Community Member

So if I understand it right I need to be online to use 1Password. I’m living next to Switzerland which is extremely expensive to use mobile data. If I turn off mobile data I can’t use 1P?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020

@hallygally:

You don't need to be online to use 1Password: a copy of your data is downloaded to your device so you can use it even when you are offline, like before when you were using Dropbox to store your data in the cloud.

• hallygally
    hallygally
    Community Member

Ah, ok thanks. There is an option for travellers mentioned. What does this is for? Sorry if I’m annoying you..

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@hallygally:

No worries at all, I am here to help :)

Travel Mode is a features that removes certain 1Password vaults you specify from your device. It is useful when you are crossing borders, for example, or anytime you don't want to carry all your 1Password information with you. You can read more about Travel Mode here.

• hallygally
    hallygally
    Community Member

thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.