Just starting, Firefox problem

I just downloaded and installed 1password. I am using Firefox 8.0. 1password doesn't help me with passwords. I tried various combinations of going in and out, clicking on various things. No luck.

I don't use IE, but of course it is on my computer. I started it up and in 2 minutes had 1password working. My test case was my Yahoo email. The first time in, 1password asked if I wanted to save the password I had typed in. I said, yes. I then closed IE. When I reopened IE and went to Yahoo mail, I didn't even see a password screen, I went straight to my mail. (I'm guessing that is the expected behavior).

How do I get 1password to work with Firefox?

Thanks and happy Thanksgiving!

Mark1

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2011
    Welcome to the forum, Mark1!

Please see the following articles for tips:
    I hope you won't mind my suggesting that you take a few minutes to read the Introduction, Getting Started, and Tutorials sections of the user's guide. They're short, and they'll give you the information you need to get up to speed quickly. As you use 1Password for Windows, we believe you'll find the FAQ section to be a useful resource, too.
  • >I hope you won't mind my suggesting that you take a few minutes to read ...

Ok, but no help. Consider your tutorial "Saving a Login item". Following the instructions puts me in an infinite loop:

>1. Enter your username and password, but do not submit the form yet.Ok.
    >2. Click the 1P button in your browser’s toolbar; then click the Save Login button.
    OK. Clicking the 1P button brings up the "1Password" dialog. Clicking 'save login' brings up the 'Save this xxxx login in 1Password' dialog.
    >3. Set the Action field to Create New Login (or to Replace login-name, to update an existing Login item).
    OK.
    >4. Click the Save button.
    OK, but this just throws me back to the ''1Password' dialog. If I click 'save', I go back to the 'Save this xxx login' dialog, then back to the '1Password' dialog. It is an infinite loop.

I rebooted my computer, and still go the same behavior.

Also, I went back to IE and discovered that I had 'alway login' selected. When I unselected 'keep me logged in', I ended up with the same problem (infinite loop when trying to save).

I have not installed dropbox, but that shouldn't make an difference.

Ugh. 3 hours and no progress.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2011
    mark1 wrote:

...Following the instructions [in the "Saving a Login item" tutorial] puts me in an infinite loop:
    1. Enter your username and password, but do not submit the form yet.
      Ok.
    2. Click the 1P button in your browser’s toolbar; then click the Save Login button.
      OK. Clicking the 1P button brings up the "1Password" dialog. Clicking 'save login' brings up the 'Save this xxxx login in 1Password' dialog.
    3. Set the Action field to Create New Login (or to Replace login-name, to update an existing Login item).
      OK.
    4. Click the Save button.
      OK, but this just throws me back to the ''1Password' dialog. If I click 'save', I go back to the 'Save this xxx login' dialog, then back to the '1Password' dialog. It is an infinite loop.

No loop—just closure. :)

The tutorial ends with step 4, because you're done: you've saved a new Login item. You can close the 1Password extension dialog box.

Besides, that's the hard way (as noted in the tutorial) to create a Login item. Did 1Password not offer to save a Login for you when you logged into the site?

I rebooted my computer, and still go[t] the same behavior.

I'm not sure why you thought you might need to reboot after saving a Login item. I wouldn't expect that to effect any change.

Also, I went back to IE and discovered that I had 'alway login' selected. When I unselected 'keep me logged in', I ended up with the same problem (infinite loop when trying to save).

Those sound like IE options. You should have all of IE's built-in password-related options (saving and filling) disabled. They just get in the way of 1Password doing its job.

I have not installed dropbox, but that shouldn't make an difference.

It shouldn't, indeed. Dropbox has nothing to do with any of these issues.

Ugh. 3 hours and no progress.

On the contrary, it seems like you got the extension for Firefox enabled, which was your original question. :)
  • 1Pasword is 'on'. I'm just doing my typical activities.

1Password pops up and grabs passwords the first time it encounters a login screen for a site I hit. I select save and the dialog goes away.

The next time I hit that site's login, nothing happens and I have to log in manually.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Mark, as documented in Can 1Password automatically detect a form and fill it for me? in the FAQ section of the user's guide (and, tangentially, in Using a saved Login item in the Tutorials section), 1Password doesn't automatically log you into a site—you have to let it know (by any of the documented methods) that you want to log in.

I hope you won't mind my recommending that you take a few minutes to read the Introduction, Getting Started, and Tutorials sections of the user's guide. They're short, and they'll give you the information you need to get up to speed quickly. As you use 1Password for Windows, we believe you'll find the FAQ section to be a useful resource, too.
  • mark1
    edited November 2011
    Ok. I seem to have the two step.

Thank you for your assistance.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Glad to help!
This discussion has been closed.