To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

A few security and usability questions

joaobarcia
joaobarcia
Community Member

I understand the benefits of 1password and am considering buying a membership. However, there are a few security and usability questions which I still haven't been able to answer.

• Isn't it a bad practice to "put all your eggs in one basket"? If my 1password user/pwd combination gets phished/hacked/keylogged/whatever the attacker would have an exposed list of every service I use and associated password.
  • Let's say your phone gets stolen and you want to log onto your google services from another device to revoke login from that device and try to active theft protections. How do you login to google now?
  • 1password has an add on that is directly integrated into the browser, but how does one login on a mobile app? Do you need a 1password manager app > open it > login > select service > copy password > paste password into the other app?

Thanks everyone

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @joaobarcia! Welcome to the forum!

Isn't it a bad practice to "put all your eggs in one basket"? If my 1password user/pwd combination gets phished/hacked/keylogged/whatever the attacker would have an exposed list of every service I use and associated password.

It is of course extremely important that you protect your login information, and that you change them if you suspect that they have been compromised. However, typically if you don't use a password manager, things are more dangerous: you maybe end up reusing the same password on multiple places, or you use weak passwords. With a password manager you can use different strong passwords for every account you have.

Let's say your phone gets stolen and you want to log onto your google services from another device to revoke login from that device and try to active theft protections. How do you login to google now?

You would login from another device where you have 1Password installed (like your tablet if you have one, or your desktop or latptop computer). With a 1Password Membership, you can also login in a browser on 1Password.com.

1password has an add on that is directly integrated into the browser, but how does one login on a mobile app? Do you need a 1password manager app > open it > login > select service > copy password > paste password into the other app?

You can use AutoFill feature on iOS and Android, which does not require a browser extension :)

• joaobarcia
    joaobarcia
    Community Member

Thanks a lot for your quick reply @ag_ana !

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.