1Password extension for Microsoft Edge [Available now in the Windows Store]

1234568»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bern: 1Password 7 will support both 1Password.com accounts and local vaults. It will not be a free upgrade. 1Password 4 cannot work with Edge, as integration with the new browser requires Microsoft's newest tools. That's one of the many reasons we've built a brand new Windows app: to make sure 1Password can take advantage of the latest technology there.

• Bern
    Bern
    Community Member

Thanks Brent, I think I get it now. Are you able to indicate if 1P v7 will be offered on a subscription-only basis - or also by outright purchase? Also, what's it's current ETA?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Bern: No ETA, but we'll be selling licenses for 1Password 7. :)

• lhagan
    lhagan
    Community Member

1Password extension does not work in Edge after the system hibernates with Edge running. Terminate both Edge and the main 1Password program (Right-click in notification area to select Exit) after waking up to fix this. {OPW-1420}

I'm seeing this issue not just after hibernation, but also after connected standby. Basically, 1Password stops working in Edge anytime the screen is turned off.

Manually restarting everything is kind of a hassle, so I created this PowerShell script to automate the process. I've set the script to run whenever the system wakes from connected standby or hibernate -- happy to provide instructions on how to set this up if anyone's interested.

`

terminate Edge

Stop-Process -name MicrosoftEdge

terminate all 1Password processes

Stop-Process -name AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop
    Stop-Process -name 1Password.Edge.Universal
    Stop-Process -name 1Password.Edge.Native

wait a few seconds

Start-Sleep 2

restart Edge

start microsoft-edge:

give 1Password some time to start up

Start-Sleep 5

close the 1Password window

Get-Process AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop | Foreach-Object { $_.CloseMainWindow() | Out-Null }
    `

• lhagan
    lhagan
    Community Member

Sorry about the double (or now triple) post -- I was trying to edit my original post to fix the code formatting, but something clearly went wrong. Unfortunately, I can't edit or delete my previous posts, but here's the properly formatted code:

# terminate Edge
    Stop-Process -name MicrosoftEdge

# terminate all 1Password processes
    Stop-Process -name AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop
    Stop-Process -name 1Password.Edge.Universal
    Stop-Process -name 1Password.Edge.Native

# wait a few seconds
    Start-Sleep 2

# restart Edge
    start microsoft-edge:

# give 1Password some time to start up
    Start-Sleep 5

# close the 1Password window
    Get-Process AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop | Foreach-Object { $_.CloseMainWindow() | Out-Null }

• @ihagan: Nice! Thanks for that! I don't run into this problem often at all, but every second saved is valuable and I'm sure this will help some folks even more. Thanks for sharing! :chuffed:

• deadfrogtoaster
    deadfrogtoaster
    Community Member

@brenty This is such a GREAT thing to hear. A full license with local database will have me upgrading, definitely. I've been using 1password since about 2008 and it's become such an integral part of my professional and personal workflow that I'm just downright ecstatic that there will be a solution for my particular set of needs going forward. Thank you!!!

• Hi @deadfrogtoaster,

On behalf of Brenty, you're welcome.

We've announced the details about standalone local vaults in our blog post about 1Password 6.7 release here.

• ks1
    ks1
    Community Member

is there any way to get this without creating a MS account? i.e. directly through the AgileBits site?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2020

@ks1:

Yes, you should be able to download the Edge extension from our downloads page, without a Microsoft account.

• kurtd
    kurtd
    Community Member

There's usually a skip button when the Microsoft Store asks you to sign in when installing an app.

Why is 1password x in the Microsoft store but 1password desktop extension is only in the chrome store? I didn't think the app was out yet because I kept searching the ms store. The above link works but we have to allow unknown sources which seems to reduce security. When will both apps be available in the MS store?

• To be clear, @kurtd, I don't believe the setting in the new Microsoft Edge allows extensions from unknown sources. That would require you to enable developer mode. Instead, it simply allows installing from other extension stores, like the Chrome Web Store which is where the above link points. You're absolutely right that extensions that haven't been reviewed at all are sketchy to say the least and I'd even go so far as to say extensions generally should be treated with caution as we do generally have to give them quite a bit of access for them to do their job. But, extensions in the Chrome Web Store go through a review process, too. At this time, we have no plans to bring the companion extension to the Microsoft Addons Store. If we were to do so, it would be the exact same extension as what's in the Chrome Web Store already, so unless there's some overwhelming demand for it, we're not likely to invest in the extra review process for each update.

This discussion has been closed.