Has anyone been able to enable 2FA for Uber on Android?

que6ae
que6ae
Community Member

Hello.

I was trying to enable 2FA for Uber, but the Uber app doesn't show a QR code nor does it show you the TOTP secret as text. You can only enable 2FA in the app, not in a web browser.

Instead what the app does is open whatever TOTP app is available. For example, it sends the TOTP secret to Google Authenticator automatically. If you have multiple TOTP apps, then you get a menu that lets you pick which app to use. It would be nice if I could select 1Password as my TOTP app.

Is there another way to do this?

1Password Version: Android 7.3.4
Extension Version: Firefox 1.17.0
OS Version: Android 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @que6ae From what I can tell, it looks like Uber opens your authentication apps. 1Password has a built-in authenticator, but isn't an authentication app, itself, which is why you're not seeing it on the list. I'd recommend reaching out to their support team to ask them to allow you to use other options. :)

• que6ae
    que6ae
    Community Member

Okay, thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of peri, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• FedoraReis
    FedoraReis
    Community Member

If you choose the “My Authenticator is on another device” option it gives you both the QR and the key so you can set it up with 1Password that way.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion @FedoraReis! :+1:

• bhanafee
    bhanafee
    Community Member

I'm guessing "My Authenticator is on another device" only appears if it doesn't find any TOTP app on the device. I can't get it to do anything but launch my authenticator app. In my case, the 3 accounts the authenticator app has now are Microsoft (it's the MS Authenticator), Uber and, ironically, 1Password. I can and will reach out to Uber support, but can you do the same?

• @bhanafee Sorry, but I'm a little unclear. Are you trying to get 1Password as an option for your Uber one-time password, or are you trying to use your default authenticator?

• bhanafee
    bhanafee
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

@peri I was trying to get 1Password as an option for my Uber one-time password. When you set up a TOTP on the Uber app and have a TOTP app installed already, it doesn't give you a choice to use something else. It just assumes whatever it finds is what you want. I eventually worked around it by:

• Changing my MS and Uber settings not to use 2FA at all
    • Uninstalling MS Authenticator (which only had MS and Uber configured)
    • Discovering the hard way that I had Google authenticator installed but not being used
    • Uninstalling Google authenticator
    • Absent any remaining TOTP app on my iPhone, finally getting the option to configure 1Password as the authenticator for Uber manually using the code
    • Reinstalling MS Authenticator
    • Re-configuring MS Authenticator for my MS stuff

Not the smoothest experience...

• Oh, yeah, then configuring 1Password to use MS Authenticator for 2FA, because I'm a glutton for punishment
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bhanafee:

Thank you for the confirmation! From what you wrote, it really sounds like the Uber app is still only looking for existing TOTP apps. It would be great if they could offer the option to the user to show the configuration code even when existing TOTP apps are installed on the device. I think if they hear from enough users they might consider adding this option.

• bhanafee
    bhanafee
    Community Member

@ag_ana I agree. With that in mind...if anyone on this thread can figure out how to even send Uber a request, that would be great. Best I could find is tweeting to @UberEng

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bhanafee:

Their help page says:

Get help in the app
    Just head to Help in the Uber app navigation.

So maybe they are reachable directly from there ;)

This discussion has been closed.