transferring 1password from MAC to new Microsoft laptop

Options

Hello,

Thank you in advance for your help. I have 1Password 6 installed on my desktop Mac and want to transfer the passwords to my new Windows laptop.

I have version 6.8.9 (689001) on my MAC. The registration says "You are licensed!". It was purchased in 12/27/2013 and it further states "This license can be used by 5 people on as many MACS as needed.

I believe my wife may have used 1password on her laptops in the past and used dropbox to sync. But she has not been an active user of 1password for

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• gerome1500
    gerome1500
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I unintentionally hit "post comment". As I was saying my wife hasn't been an active user of 1password for many years, but she thinks she may have set up dropbox to sync 1password with her laptops. I am the only active user of 1password, as I use it to store passwords to our financial institutions and I am the primary manager of our household finances.

Again, my number one goal is to get the current passwords stored in our home MAC transferred over to my new Windows laptop. How do I get the 1password app on my Microsoft laptop and fill it with my passwords from the MAC?

Further clarification on the 1password architecture would help me. Are my current passwords stored in the cloud? Or our they stored only on my hardrive and whatever back up drives I have been using?

My desktop MAC has OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6 installed. I do not have any extensions installed for 1password.

Thank you

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gerome1500,

Thank you for reaching out!

It sounds like you have been using a local vault in 1Password 6 on your Mac and your previous purchase did not include the latest version of 1Password for Windows. If you want to use 1Password on several devices with different platforms, I would recommend you to sign up for 1Password account and migrate your data there. Here is how you can do that:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

This way your encrypted vaults will be stored on our servers and you won't have to worry about syncing your data across devices. You can learn more about other benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you are interested in the security bits, please check the following article out:

About the 1Password security model

Let me know if you have other questions, we are always happy to help. :) Thanks!

++
    Greg

• gerome1500
    gerome1500
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Greg,

Thank you! How much does the 1 password account cost? Is there a yearly fee as well?

What would be the exact sequence? Would I first open the new 1password account on my old Mac which has the password vault stored locally? Will the transfer of the old password vault to the new 1password account on my Mac then be a click and drag type of operation? Why do I need to erase the locally stored vault after the transfer?

Sincerely, Chris

• A 1Password membership for a single user is currently $3.99/mo or $35.88 per year, plus any applicable taxes, etc. Transferring, assuming you follow the guide Greg linked, should be largely automatic – your data will be automatically migrated and you'll be asked to remove your old standalone vault from your app. This is done to avoid confusion moving forward – having just your account in your vault ensures items are saved and updated in your account and also that you're using your account's Master Password to unlock your app. This does not, however, delete your old vault file. That will remain on your sync service unless and until you decide to delete it so if you want to hang onto that for a bit you can. :+1:

• gerome1500
    gerome1500
    Community Member
    Options

Do I need to download 1password 7 for my Mac first? Currently I am using 1password 6.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gerome1500:

You can also do it from 1Password 6 for Mac if you prefer, and then install version 7.

• gerome1500
    gerome1500
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.

The more I think about my needs and how I use 1password I don’t really believe I need the subscription service. I am really only concerned about the passwords for my bank, brokerage account, and 7 credit card accounts. For these high priority accounts I will only conduct business online using my new Windows laptop. I will never use a mobile device for high a value purpose such as online banking or brokerage account business, so I don’t really need the seamless syncing across multiple platforms. Any passwords I use on my iPhone I am comfortable storing them on Apple keychain since they aren’t that important anyway.

So, can I buy a 1password license for my new Windows laptop? I currently have nothing on it. Then I will need assistance/guidance transferring the vault (1password version 6) on my 12 year old Mac to the Windows laptop.

Thank you

• You certainly can if you'd prefer, @gerome1500, though I would encourage you to consider managing everything in 1Password. For one, it helps having everything in one place – when you were using a Mac, you had access to your Apple Keychain on both your Mac and your iPhone. Windows won't have any access to that Keychain so if you use those lower value accounts on Windows, you'll need to have those passwords somewhere and changes aren't going to sync between the two devices unless you use something cross-platform like 1Password potentially leaving you without a password on the device you're using. Even if that's for a "lower value" account, it can still cause some frustration to say the least.

In addition, while you're certainly correct that some accounts pose a greater danger if they're breached, you'd be surprised what sorts of personal information is available via those lower value accounts. From the basics like your name, e-mail and birthdate, to things like your credit card information if you allow it to be stored on shopping sites (as is sometimes unavoidable), even very basic and rarely used accounts can have data very much worthy of protection.

Obviously it's totally up to you – but just something to think about. If you decide you'd prefer a license, you can purchase that in 1Password 7 for Windows. To get your data from your Mac to your PC, you'd need to sync it yourself using one of these sync methods:

https://support.1password.com/sync-options/

• gerome1500
    gerome1500
    Community Member
    Options

I decided to subscribe to the 1password account. I successfully transferred the existing stand alone vault on my Mac to the 1password account and then deleted the stand alone vault from my Mac. I then successfully installed 1password on my new Windows laptop and see all my old
    Passwords in the account.

Now I want to install the web browser extensions on my new Windows PC and I am not able to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

• gerome1500
    gerome1500
    Community Member
    Options

Very frustrated. This should be simple but it isn’t.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gerome1500:

Now I want to install the web browser extensions on my new Windows PC and I am not able to do it. Any help would be appreciated.

What is the issue that you are experiencing exactly?

Also, in what browser are you currently trying to install the 1Password browser extension?

• gerome1500
    gerome1500
    Community Member
    Options

I decided to subscribe to the 1password account. I successfully transferred the existing stand alone vault on my Mac to the 1password account and then deleted the stand alone vault from my Mac. I then successfully installed 1password on my new Windows laptop and see all my old
    Passwords in the account.

Now I want to install the web browser extensions on my new Windows PC and I am not able to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

• gerome1500
    gerome1500
    Community Member
    Options

I am trying to install the browser extension for google chrome. It keeps telling me I need to have chrome installed, but it already is. Am I really supposed to get the extension from the chrome web store?

• gerome1500
    gerome1500
    Community Member
    Options

Alright, I have successfully installed the 1passwordX browser extension on google chrome.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gerome1500:

Am I really supposed to get the extension from the chrome web store?

Yes: browser extensions for Chrome are available in the Chrome web store, including 1Password.

And I am glad to hear that you managed to install 1Password X :+1:

This discussion has been closed.