One-Time Password not visible in iOS

swkent
swkent
Community Member

I use and LOVE 1Password for managing my, my family's and my clients' passwords. I have an "early adopters" version of 1Password Pro as well as a Family account.

I am having an issue with one particular account though. I use 2FA everywhere possible and it is great how easy 1Password makes it to manage and use these extra security measures.

When I setup 2FA for todyl.com, I can see the "one-time password" in the chrome extension and in the Desktop copy 1P. However if I open the iOS app, the field is blank and has a red circle with a 0 in it where the countdown timer would usually be.

I have tried to disable and re-enable 2FA on this account but to no avail.

Anyone else seen this or have any suggestions? All apps and extensions are up to date.

Thanks for any insight,

SK

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Hi @swkent

Thanks for taking the time to write in and for the overall kind comments about 1Password. If you set up a different app, such as Authy or Google Authenticator, to do the TOTP for this site... do those work as expected? e.g. Is it just 1Password that isn't properly generating the codes?

Please let us know.

Ben

• swkent
    swkent
    Community Member

I'm not just blowing smoke. Been using 1P for over a decade and have tested just about every other password manager out there.

It does work using Authy. I had been creating the OTP using 1Password X extension so I tried adding it through the iPhone app. Unfortunately came up with the same result. Just to be clear, it does create the OTP and I can see and use it in the desktop app and 1Password X, it is only the iOS app that gives me the 0 in the red circle. Most of the time it is not an issue but there are times that I need to access that site from my iPhone or iPad and I cannot.

Thanks for looking into this.

SK

• @swkent,

I'm not just blowing smoke.

I didn't expect so. I was just trying to narrow down the source of the difficulty you're facing. :) I'm going to add this to our list of things to test, so hopefully we can improve the experience in the future.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4546

• @swkent,

I've spoken with development about this issue. Current versions of 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS are using the exact same code for generating TOTP (2FA) codes. If they're provided with the same data they'll provide the same result. Could you please let me know:

1. The specific versions of 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS you're seeing this problem with
    2. Are your items syncing between Mac and iOS? If you edit the title on the item in question from your Mac do those changes appear on that item on iOS?

We're also having some difficulty as it doesn't appear this site allows accounts to be freely created, and as such we have no real way of testing it ourselves directly.

Ben

• swkent
    swkent
    Community Member

Mac
    1Password 7
    Version 7.4.1 (70401002)
    1Password Store

iOS

Changes are definitely syncing. Just added "test" to the name and it came right through.

There is a 30 day trial on Todyl.com. It does require a credit card and that you cancel if you don't want to use it. I can reach out to the owner to see if I can get you an account to use just for testing. Or I may be able to create an account for you to test with under my account. Obviously don't want to send creds through the forum. How should I get the info over to you?

SK

• And after adding "test" to the name and having it appear on both devices, 1Password for iOS still shows a "0" and 1Password for Mac shows the correct code?

If an account for testing purposes can be established please send the credentials to support+forum@1password.com and include a link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/544868/#Comment_544868. When you email in you should get an auto-responder from BitBot that contains a support ID. Please post that ID here.

Ben

• swkent
    swkent
    Community Member

So in order to create an account for you, I have to add name and email address through the dashboard. I will therefore not get the BitBot autoresponder message as it will go back to Todyl's servers.

Any way you can PM me an email address that I can use to set it up?

• I'm not sure we're set up to facilitate that, @swkent. Could you please answer the question I asked above?

And after adding "test" to the name and having it appear on both devices, 1Password for iOS still shows a "0" and 1Password for Mac shows the correct code?

Ben

• swkent
    swkent
    Community Member

That is correct. After making changes, they sync among all devices and the code is viewable on Mac and in 1Password X but still the same in iOS.

SK

• @swkent

I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/110727/one-time-password-not-visible-in-ios#latest
    • Your forum username: swkent

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.