Password generator with German (or other) words?

DenalB
DenalB
Community Member

I didn't know where to post this because it is a feature request for all plattforms.

When generating passwords with words there is only English language.

I think that I will not remember English words more better than German words because this is my native language. It would be very nice to be able to select the language for generated words.

When searching for this point I found a thread from September 2017:
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/82258/password-generator-with-words-in-an-other-language

But this was more than 1 year ago. Is this feature still on your todo list?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

I would even go a step further:
    If this is ever implemented, please also make it possible to mix languages which would make it even harder to be victim of a dictionary attack!

Also, please make the "nonsense"-syllabes available that already exist in 1Password X.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

If this is ever implemented, please also make it possible to mix languages which would make it even harder to be victim of a dictionary attack!

That's a great idea @peacekeeper . :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's definitely not feasible currently. We still have a lot of work to do localizing 1Password itself, and there are a lot of problems with trying to create multiple Wordlists in different languages. It was hard enough doing English, and that work is ongoing, as we continue to tweak it even now. I think that probably German would be less problematic than some others, but then we're still leaving those out -- some of which, not using the Latin characterset, may never be viable. So for now our focus is on making the exiting Wordlist the best it can be, and filling the gaps in app localization.

• jimthing
    jimthing
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

While added languages would obviously be a great future function. One tip on how I currently use these split words passwords...

1P may suggest:
    bindery-grog-consume-fiend
    but then I manually add numbers/chars and change to words that don't exist:
    brindr3-gr8dz-Cronsoome-?fiently9
    as I want cracking dictionaries to have the least opportunity to have said words within them.

Still relatively easy to manually type when necessary, just with added complications for cracker software.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for sharing! The only real downside is a bit less randomness, and 1Password will also treat user-created/modified passwords as less strong as a result. But in some cases it's necessary of course. :)

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

That definitely makes sense, @DenalB.

We'd love to do it. One reason that we haven't so far has to do with our inability to remove taboo words from such a list. Sure the obvious terms words like "Scheiß" could be purged from easy to obtain lists, but it takes people more deeply embedded in the culture to manage the less obvious ones. We do have Germans working here, but we haven't really freed up their time to work on it. And with English, we are able to find more resources for this as well.

One possible approach is to start with Peerio's word lists. Their lists are designed for slightly different kinds of passwords (things that are closer to our Secret Key which are not expected to be memorized, and only very rarely entered), and so they use longer words than we allow. So we would still have to modify their lists to work for passwords that people are expected to type.

If you take a look at the guts of our new password generator, you will see that it is capable of using any word list. If you are extremely adventurous you might want to play with a pre-alpha-work-in-progress command line interface for that. (It is so pre-alpha and not ready for public consumption that we are only distributing the source).

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

@brenty

So for now our focus is on making the exiting Wordlist the best it can be, and filling the gaps in app localization.

Thanks for your explanation! :)

@jpgoldberg

If you take a look at the guts of our new password generator, you will see that it is capable of using any word list. If you are extremely adventurous you might want to play with a pre-alpha-work-in-progress command line interface for that.

That looks crazy and I don't understand very much of it. This was only an idea of mine and you all from 1Password are doing your best to give us all of the features we want to have. So take your time and try to do what is possible. That's not an urgent wish from me. All is fine. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for being passionate about 1Password, and localization as well! I wish we had all the bandwidth to do everything on our wishlist too, but we'll keep cranking away bit by bit -- pun sort of intended. :)

• JochenRLP
    JochenRLP
    Community Member

Is there any update on this? I can live with using English locales but having to remember English words I never use and I do not know the translation is not a good idea. Using only the words I know is limiting the password security.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@JochenRLP:

We have nothing to announce at this time. We will however make sure to keep your feedback in mind going forward :+1:

This discussion has been closed.