Why no second address line for an identity?

octothorpe8
octothorpe8
Community Member

My work address requires a second line, for a suite number, but 1Password doesn't offer a second address line. Most every form online offers this space for an apartment, suite, PO Box, etc. I see numerous requests on this forum, going back years, for 1Password to support this, but it remains unaddressed. Why?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:identity address second line

Comments

• @octothorpe8

I see numerous requests on this forum, going back years, for 1Password to support this, but it remains unaddressed. Why?

Not enough hours in the day, unfortunately. What probably seems like a fairly easy request to implement would actually require an update to every one of our client apps including the web interface for 1Password.com. As a long term goal we are looking at the possibility of making templates more flexible / customizable such that all of the clients don’t have to be updated for every template change. That is still in the brainstorming phase at this point so I couldn’t say for sure when (or even if) that would happen. But fingers crossed. That is likely the form this will eventually come in.

Ben

• VernagoVI
    VernagoVI
    Community Member

I'd just like to second this request, and add an interesting note: I have an identity that I originally put in many versions ago (looks like August 2009) with a line return in the address field (this is no longer possible to do- any edits to that field now delete the line return), and a lot of the time when I fill the identity, it properly fills "address second line" fields, so apparently there's some existing code to handle two-line addresses.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@VernagoVI - that's fascinating. I don't use 1Password much for address-related items, and I've never lived or work anywhere that required a second line...but I'm surprised to hear something like that actually works. It might be interesting to see whether it's actually the website in question that contains logic to interpret line-breaks like that as "next field" -- because to my knowledge 1Password has never had such login within it. Whatever the case, Ben's thoughts above are what holds here: even seemingly small changes now have to be accounted for across four different platforms (Mac, Windows, Android and iOS) as well as the 1password.com server back-end and the web client, so what seems trivial is often far less so than it looks. And when you combine that with the myriad of other items vying for limited developer hours, well, that's where some decisions have to be made about what to work on and what to leave until "someday." Thanks for adding your voice and your use-case to this issue. :)

• WakeArray
    WakeArray
    Community Member

I'd like to see this worked on as well. I live in an apartment "Unit 208" and using a return character in the first address field doesn't and hasn't worked for me once since I moved into this apartment roughly 7 months ago. Given, I'm using Chrome on Windows (I didn't feel like it was necessary to open a new topic in either Windows or 1Password X areas), but it's been annoying. It's the only field I always have to fill manually every time. It's annoying that so many sites require that you put your apartment number on the second line when it isn't USPS standard (from what I've seen online, technically the address line two is supported as more of a general comments area, rather than actual address information), but this is the world we live in and a lack of support for it, is an inconvenience. :/

Of course, I understand there's a lot of priorities so you guys don't need to repeat what you said in the earlier posts. I'm just speaking up, so you have a record of it being an issue for one more person.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@WakeArray - yep. Thanks for making your voice heard. We really do appreciate it, and for what it's worth, I'd like to see this implemented as well. It's -- as you noted -- a matter of available time/developer hours. Stay tuned. :)

• sleepyjackson
    sleepyjackson
    Community Member

adding my support to this one. Perhaps not the end of the world, but for those of us who have a PO Box that requires a second line, the current implementation is definitely a limitation.

thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sleepyjackson! Thank you for your feedback on this issue, we really appreciate it.

Have a wonderful day :)

• djguitar
    djguitar
    Community Member

Yes, me too. I use the Identities feature to auto complete several addresses I have. Lack of a second line is a deal breaker at times. That aside I still love 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the encouragement! A "second line" would still necessitate a lot of work to update all of the client apps, but would not be very useful unless we can find a good way for 1Password to detect and fill information into a "second line" of address information on websites. Hopefully we'll be able to accomplish that in the future though. :)

• evbart
    evbart
    Community Member

I came here looking for the same thing. Dashlane does this, and I've been considering switching from them to 1password. When I set up my identity and credit cards its the first thing I noticed was missing. Why would it be harder for 1Password to do than other people? Pretty sure chrome and safari also both do this .

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@evbart:

I think it's a matter of priorities. As brenty wrote, this change would need to be done for every 1Password app, and this is not something that comes up very often as a request, so our developers are working on other features. Of course it would be nice to be able to work on everything at the same time, but we need to prioritize our work, which unfortunately means that some changes will have to wait longer than others.

• evbart
    evbart
    Community Member

I guess I'm surprised because besides logging in the next most frequent use for the app I assume would be shopping and putting in credit card information which needs a second address for shipping and billing?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2019

Certainly while for some percentage of the population (myself included) it is true that a second address / second line on the address is required, that isn't universally the case. Either way, it is something we'd like to address as scheduling allows. :)

Ben

• bsulla
    bsulla
    Community Member

Adding my vote for a 2nd address line please and thank you. No need to reply as your status for this request has been consistent. Dashlane was already mentioned so I will add Lastpass also has a 2nd address field. Would love to see for 1Password.

• Thanks. :+1: :)

Ben

• zeppelin
    zeppelin
    Community Member

Adding my vote. I need it for the new Canada Post Flex Delivery addresses (hold parcels at the post office). Surprised a second field isn't already there.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your feedback as well :)

• fergluke
    fergluke
    Community Member

Adding my vote! Lots of addresses in the UK have two lines.

• Thanks @fergluke :)

Ben

• shane_lawrence
    shane_lawrence
    Community Member

Please allow a second address line.

• Thanks for the feedback @shane_lawrence.

Ben

• fns
    fns
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Hi guys, just wanted to voice my support for this feature as well. Interesting note is that I've been using 1Password for about 8 years now, and in that time I've lived in 4 different places in two states in the US, 3 of which were apartments where a second line item was required for filling addresses (apartment / unit number). This is extremely common in the US, actually. By default, for instance, our postal service system and every other shipping service out there (Fedex, UPS, DHL, etc) support it too.

Is this the right thread to bring some visibility into this issue?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@fns:

Is this the right thread to bring some visibility into this issue?

Yes, thank you for taking the time to share your use case too :)

(I have also deleted your duplicate post for you)

• jaredjxyz
    jaredjxyz
    Community Member

I just wanted to +1 myself here.

This is an annoyance for every 1password user that lives in an apartment which sticks out like a sore thumb in the seamless experience 1password usually is. This thread doesn't have many posters, but as someone that lives in a big city (so knows mostly people living in apartments), all of my friends that use 1password find this frustrating.

• Indeed. It also affects PO Box users such as myself. I'm really hoping it is something we'll be able to address.

Ben

• Hi all,

Please try adding your address to the address field of an identity item separated by a comma, i.e. in the format:

Address line 1, Address line 2

Such as

123 Main Street, Apt 4

Does that fill into line 1 and line 2 as expected? There is a video of it in action here. I can't promise it'll work on every site, but generally that should help. Please let us know.

Ben

• ben41password
    ben41password
    Community Member
    edited February 2021

The comma trick seems to be working for me most of the time, @Ben ! Thank you!

• Most excellent news @ben41password On behalf of Ben, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.