Import from Avast Password

Pix0r
Pix0r
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of moving to 1password as I don't trust avast at all anymore. For the life of me I can't figure out how to export/import my database from avast passwords to 1password.

First of all, avast password MAC only seems to export to JSON not CSV, although the PC version seems to have a more capabilities (I don't have access to a PC) Secondly, 1password doesn't seem to be able to import JSON. I've tried converting the JSON to CSV but it turned out unreadable. I also tried the mrc-converter-suite which I found somewhere online, but unfortunately it doesn't support avasts database (maybe a different profile might work?)

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@PixOr

Would you like me to explore creating a converter for Avast for the converter suite ?

• Pix0r
    Pix0r
    Community Member

@MrC That would be beyond awesome!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2020

@Pix0r

The export of Avast Passwords records is straight-forward and the data is trivial. I'll work on the converter today.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2020

@Pix0r

The Secure Notes and Login types allow assigning a color - in the export, this is exported as a number, from 1 to 10 representing the colors selected. I can export these as Tags if you'd like (e.g. Color 1, Color 2, ... Color 10, or I can just add these as Key/Value pairs in Notes, or they can go as custom fields.

What is your preference?

• Pix0r
    Pix0r
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

@MrC

Colors I guess. I don't use the secure notes, only really differentiate between logins and credit cards.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Pix0r ,

OK, the converter is done and seems to be working. I'll finish the documentation and put out a release in a few hours.

• Pix0r
    Pix0r
    Community Member

Thanks very much :-)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Pix0r ,

I have updated the converter suite to include the Avast Passwords converter. Download the suite and follow the directions in the README.html.

Please let me know how this works for you.

• Pix0r
    Pix0r
    Community Member

@MrC

Thanks so much for all your help. Unfortunately I'm getting an error in the command line:

Error parsing time at /System/Library/Perl/5.18/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Time/Piece.pm line 469.
    Time::Piece::strptime('Time::Piece', '0-00-00', '%Y-%m-%d') called at /Users/Pix/Desktop/mrc-converter-suite/./Converters/Avastpasswords.pm line 208

Followed by another 6 or so related errors.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Pix0r

I'm sorry about that! I forgot to test for empty dates in a credit card entry. I've just posted a converter suite update which should handle this.

• Pix0r
    Pix0r
    Community Member

@MrC

Perfect, worked like a charm! Thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Pix0r

Excellent.

Enjoy 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.