1Password 7.4 for Windows Beta 2 is here! [Released on 2020-02-04]

Hi guys,

We've released 7.4.740 Beta 2 on 2020-02-04, here's the changelog:

[IMPROVED] Improved our proxy auto-detection to validate and exclude empty URLs sent by certain router configurations. {OPW-4454}
[IMPROVED] Updated translations from our awesome Crowdin translation team. {OPW-4445}
[IMPROVED] Include the 1Password account name in certain sign-in error messages. {OPW-3266}
[FIXED] Right-clicking the vault (or clicking "..." next to it) in the Vaults sidebar would crash the app. {OPW-4443}
[FIXED] The diagnostics report tool was using incorrect version data for the version property. {OPW-4417}
[FIXED] If the diagnostics report tool caught an error, it would halt and generate a 0-byte file instead of skipping over and generate the rest of the report. {OPW-4452}
[FIXED] 1Password mini wouldn't show up correctly on certain monitor setups. {OPW-1903}

7.4.738 Beta released on 2020-02-01

Hi guys,

We're happy to announce 1Password 7.4 Beta 1 for Windows is here! This is a massive update that's been in development for several months with the focus on internal changes to make it quicker, more secure, more polished, and more prepared for the future.

I normally post the changelog here for your reading but it contains so much that the forum would block me due to reaching the max characters, check it out here.

The biggest change is under the hood, we're been rewriting a lot of our codebase into Rust for performance, memory safety and more. If you pay attention to your task manager, you may notice multiple short-living processes will run and disappear; so if 1Password does a sync, it'll run a separate sync process and it is gone once it is done. The same is true if 1Password locks, it'll terminate itself and spin off a new process ready for you to unlock.

The next big change that many of you will love, you will no longer have to click the Windows Hello icon to use Hello, it'll now be automatic. We also now prevent any thing you copy in 1Password from being stored in Windows 10's clipboard.

You can now drag and drop any fields in 1Password to paste it in other app windows; when I was uploading a file in WinSCP (file transfer program) and it asked for my password, I can bring up 1Password mini, right-click the FTP account and dragged the password to WinSCP's password field and I was done.

Speaking of drag and drop, you can now drag and drop items into vaults in the sidebar.

And so much more, go read the awesomely-long 100+ changes here.

Direct link to the installer for some of you that asked for it every time.

We would love to hear your feedback!

Comments

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

I just enabled update to Beta and now I am on the beta.

• Welcome back, @r1ma. Thanks for helping us test the betas.

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

I guess final version will be out very very soon, right?

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

What happened about talking about the details of:
    "Added support for an upcoming feature for the 1Password memberships, more details will be revealed soon. {OPW-3904}"

• MikeT
    edited January 2020

Hi @r1ma,

I guess final version will be out very very soon, right?

No, because of the scale of the changes, we'll need to have it tested for more than a few weeks before we decide if it is ready to go stable. There are a few more beta updates planned.

"Added support for an upcoming feature for the 1Password memberships, more details will be revealed soon. {OPW-3904}"

This is adding support for 1Password Advanced Protection; we've released details on our blog post here: https://blog.1password.com/introducing-advanced-protection/

I'll update our changelog about that, thanks!

• r1ma
    r1ma
    Community Member

Its for 1Password Business customers, right? I am a regular user.

• Its for 1Password Business customers, right? I am a regular user.

Yes, that is correct.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Looks like it's time to start testing again :)
    Thank you very much for this completely new build @MikeT and the other team members!

At the first glance it got one more time, faster and got a new great look :+1:

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

Drag any field to any text fields in any applications to fill it in. {OPW-2967}

Could you clarify how this is done? Is this a Type in Feature where it manually triggers the letters, or uses it the same process as before which is called Type in Window?
    If this is a real Type in Feature i might have found something where this doesn't work :unamused:

• MikeT
    edited January 2020

Hi @lumarel,

Looks like it's time to start testing again :)

Yep, with most of the major under-the-hood changes done, we're aiming to go back to the much faster release cycle with smaller but more frequent updates.

Thank you very much for this completely new build @MikeT and the other team members!

On behalf of the team, you're welcome.

At the first glance it got one more time, faster and got a new great look :+1:

The best part is that there are still further performance/optimizations to come in future updates; we haven't touched all of the areas just yet.

Could you clarify how this is done?

Sure, here's how it works:

[Here's the link to the video.](https://s3.amazonaws.com/com-agilebits-users/mike/drag-to-paste.mp4)
  • MikeT
    edited January 2020

Note, you can do the same with the main 1Password interface:

[Here's the link to the video.](https://s3.amazonaws.com/com-agilebits-users/mike/drag-to-paste-from-main.mp4)
  • lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Yep, with most of the major under-the-hood changes done, we're aiming to go back to the much faster release cycle with smaller but more frequent updates.

That's really nice to hear, now with the finally also available time I will gladly participate :)

The best part is that there are still further performance/optimizations to come in future updates; we haven't touched all of the areas just yet.

Even better if there is always room for more performance :+1:

Sure, here's how it works

I did mean with that if this is done by copying into the window or if it types every character
    Tried some different programs, all except one case worked really flawless (Windows Permission, Websites in different Browsers, Into a Remote Desktop Session, ...):

This is a Remote Management Window from VMware Workstation/Remote Console, so in this case it would only be able to insert it by typing every character.

• SergeyTheAgile
    edited January 2020

@lumarel it does actually simulate mouse click and then pressing keys for you. That way it works with most Electron based apps too, one of my favourite is Steam client. Finally I can drag & drop my credentials there.

VMWare seems to take one mouse click away though, we are looking into improving it.

ref: dev/windows/opw#4362

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Ah yes that makes sense, or more exactly it would have to make a click in the VM view, then it would also work with one click.
    But this is really nitpicking, it's such a great feature to be faster in 99,9% of all used programs :chuffed:

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Is the process logging now asynchronous (not real time anymore)? Or was it ever for the logfile?
    Because as now the console is missing, I fell back to my normal action, monitoring the logfile with the Configuration Manager Log Trace Tool (Realtime Log Reader).

• @lumarel we've removed the console from the 1Password app, it was causing problems but your method works as well. You may notice the log file no longer have the HTML formatting either, so it should be cleaner as well.

We have a way to read the log file using the shell like CMD or Powershell and passing env variable op_console to 1Password process (clean). Basically, for Powershell, terminate 1Password, enter $env:op_console=1 and then start 1Password.

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

Oh wow, thank you @MikeT, that's a really clean way to implement a realtime debug console :chuffed:

• lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member
    edited January 2020

I don't know if this is even intentional, there are some Error Messages right after an Unlock and Lock (the Error for the Unlock is only seen in the logfile, not the console)

• Oh wow, thank you @MikeT, that's a really clean way to implement a realtime debug console

You're welcome. It's especially fun to use them in Windows Terminal Preview with the CRT effect:

I don't know if this is even intentional, there are some Error Messages right after an Unlock and Lock (the Error for the Unlock is only seen in the logfile, not the console)

These two are normal:

1. the first NIM_DELETE, just means 1Password couldn't remove itself from the system tray icon. Since we terminate after locking, it won't find the icon anymore. This will be cleaned up in a future update.
    2. pipe has been ended, just means the process that was originally talking to the Native Message Host for 1Password extension is no longer there because we've just terminated it. This one is a bit harder to clean up because it is basically a timing error; it talked to something that no longer existed because we've just spun off a new process. It's safe to ignore.
  • lumarel
    lumarel
    Community Member

It's especially fun to use them in Windows Terminal Preview with the CRT effect:

I will have to try that, looks beautiful!

And thank you for the short explenation :+1:

• @lumarel, you're welcome.

Hi @Naxterra,

I upgraded to Beta and performance seems a lot better now.

We're glad to hear that.

Issue is, when you manually lock 1Password, it is restarting app, which takes time. In stable version it was instant.

How much time we're talking?

In 1Password 7.4, we terminates everything and start a new process cleanly; this allows us to clear everything in memory but we do share a few things to the next lock process, such as how to unlock with Hello. This will take a few seconds but it depends on your system.

Prior to that, locking would leave the process running locked without terminating it, so it is instant.

We will not be able to bring it back to the same speed for locking anymore.

First feedback is, when you hover mouse cursor on an item and use keyboard combos to copy username and password, it selects whatever is selected previously, instead of item which has cursor on it.

Do you mean you're not selecting the item first, just hovering? This is expected behavior; you have to tell 1Password which item you want to copy the username/password from, hovering is not enough information.

Second one is, 1Password is not remembering my last place. For example, I selected a login from my favs but next time I open app, either on mini mode or full screen mode, it goes to vault first login.

Both modes are not supposed to focus on the same selected item, they're two separate interactions.

However, this is definitely something we need to improve on but haven't gotten to it for 1Password 7.4. This requires a bigger change than expected.

Third one is password generator is still same. It should allow customization, according to our needs.

Can you clarify what you mean, it does allow customization:

The Password Generator hasn't been touched for 1Password 7.4 though, it is something we plan to fix in the near future. There are work ongoing across platform teams regarding this to unify it and we hope to start benefiting from them soon.

• @Naxterra,

In my rig, it takes 7 seconds to reload 1Password app after I lock it.

Hmm, that's a bit too long. To get better data, can you open your Task Manager and keep it aside 1Password, you may need to see the process id (PID) column if it is not there. If you lock the app, how fast do you see the original process terminates and then new 1Password process show up before you see any lock view?

If I left click it, it will open web page. I am not sure how I can make selection more smoother.

Ah, I see what you mean now. This is one of the reasons why we're planning to overhaul the design of the mini, we're doing too much in a small UI. I know we're been saying this for a while but hopefully, with 7.4 out, we can get to that sooner.

For now, I only have two suggestions:

1. Right-click to click the copy icon:
    2. If the idea is to use the shortcuts instead of your mouse, press tab and arrow to select the item (it turns blue). You can also type the first character to filter down the list right away.
    3. There's the new 7.4 feature where you can just drag the field to the other app fields.
  • @Naxterra,

@MikeT new PID came after 8 seconds and old PID got deleted after 13 seconds

Can you send us your 1Password diagnostics report? There may be something slowing it down. Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

In mini mode tab is not viable for me because I have around 500ish logins. Quicker the better.

I have 10K items, I open mini, type the name, tab+down, shift + control + c to copy either username or password. I bring up mini and previously selected item is still here, so I shift + control + c to select password.

I do agree, it's a very long process to simply copy either username/password from keyboard only. We'll keep this in mind when we redesign the 1Password mini.

• Thanks, I got your email!

ref: AQI-36867-977

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member

Thanks 1Password team! Way to go! So far so good! This version is a lot faster and speedy! Plus deleted items now actually get deleted from trash! I am sure there is many other fixes I haven't seen yet but are there.

Thanks again for doing a job well done!

• Thanks for the kind feedback and you're welcome on behalf of the 1Password team.

This discussion has been closed.