A question about family accounts and login under 1 Mac OS account

funkyPassword
funkyPassword
Community Member

Hi,

I would like to use family account for my son, wife and myself. We each have our own iphones but we share an imac that is logged in under one mac os user account. I was wondering how does 1password determine which master password should be used. Does 1password allow you to toggle between different peoples 1password accounts?

Thank you so much

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @funkyPassword! Welcome to the forum!

If you have three user accounts on your Mac, each of you can install a copy of the 1Password app and add your account to the app. You cannot switch between accounts belonging to different people inside the same app.

• funkyPassword
    funkyPassword
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Hi @ag_ana

Thank you for the welcome. We only have one user account on mac and don't really want to create accounts for each one of us. If i understand you correctly, it sounds like the one 1password account is linked to the os profile so we cant just input register three accounts and based on the master password used would determine whose password faults would appear.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@funkyPassword:

That's correct: you will need separate user accounts on your Mac to do what you are trying to do. If you only use one user account and one 1Password app, from the point of view of 1Password you will all be the same person, and therefore it won't be possible to distinguish you when you unlock the app.

• funkyPassword
    funkyPassword
    Community Member

Thank you for the clarification.

How do I downgrade my subscription from family to individual. I am still within the trial period but I think I might just end up using the passwords on my own.

• funkyPassword
    funkyPassword
    Community Member

not to worry about my question about downgrading, I managed to find the option and have now downgraded. thank you for the fantastic support

• @funkyPassword

Thank you for the kind words, and for letting us know, you found your answer. If we can assist in the future, please reach out.

This discussion has been closed.