Family - create private vault that is hidden to other family members?

Stokkie833
Stokkie833
Community Member

Hi,

I am not a subscriber yet (been a user since V4) and before I do go for it I want to know
if there is a way to create a personal vault which only I CAN SEE and access. I want it not
to be visible for my other family members.

Although I do want to share passwords and logins and stuff, certain stuff I still want to remain private.
I know I can add vaults and invite people for it, but Is that vault seeable for them if I do not invite or add them?

1Password Version: V7 family
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.3 + iOs 13.3.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Stokkie833!

A Private vault that is only visible and accessible by you is created automatically as soon as you create your 1Password Families account ;) This is your default vault, and you cannot share it or invite any users to it.

• Stokkie833
    Stokkie833
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana, thanks your speedy reply!

ok, this sounds like I want it. And if I create a new vault myself besides this one, does anyone else see this new one?
    or do I need to invite them to it for them to be able to see the vault itself?

• And if I create a new vault myself besides this one, does anyone else see this new one?

No, not unless you invite them. I have about six vaults that I have not given access to anyone other than myself.

As the Family Organizer, you would need to invite them to that additional vault or not. :) Our help topic on Create and share vaults sounds like a great spot to direct you to. That topic should help you along with your information quest.

--

To add a little personal perspective, I have one vault that stores all of our travel data, such as ID's and Passports. Before a trip, I grant my teens access to this vault. I do that so that if something happens to my phone, I can access it from their device. Additionally, if something horrific happened to me, they have access to any emergency items, like those Passport's, and ID's. When I return home, I remove my kid's access. My setup was based upon Travel Mode.

I also set up Account Recovery, to allow my family to gain access to a lifetime of valuable data. This may or may not be something you also wish to set up. I, however, strongly encourage you to read the subject matter, because it's a valuable resource available to you, in a situation such as to a forgotten Master Password.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Is it still true that only Family Organizers can do account recovery?

If so, they can also get to that (second) "private" vault...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@XIII:

Yes, only Family Organizers can do account recovery.

How so?

• Stokkie833
    Stokkie833
    Community Member

Hello @ag_tommy,

Geez thanks for the very detailed info! Sounds good to me. Even your flow for gong on vacation looks as a good thing to do.

I read each time that I can give family membets acceess to a vault. But if I don’t give anyone access, then they can't even see that vault, is that true?

I will read the article you sent me in a bit, when I het home.

Sorry to ask again but it’s important to me as I also store work passwords etc. I need to be sure that not only no-one can access the vault they are in but also cannot see that vault (so no questions asked).

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

How so?

Can't they give themselves access to any vault, except primary ones?

(note that I wrote second)

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

@Stokkie833

If the individual is part of the family and not a Family Organizer, they would only see their Personal vault and the account-wide shared vault.

If the individual is part of the Family Organizer group, then yes, they could have knowledge all of the vaults via their account login. They can also add themselves to the vault.

• They cannot see your Personal vault, even if they are a Family Organizer.

I tend to think of the Family Organizer as having the keys to the kingdom. There are several options here for consideration.

1. You could sign up for a Business plan, which includes a free family account, that would keep your work data separate, and no one will be able to access it.
    2. Using both a Family account and an Individual account would accomplish the same level of separation of your data, and ensure no access.

Please note that for proper security, you should not be sharing OS user accounts. When you unlock one vault, you unlock them all. Any other individuals would need a separate OS login. 1Password is not designed to work for multiple users under one OS login.

cc @XIII re:

This discussion has been closed.