1Password extension for Microsoft Edge errors on install

This has been happening for some time now. Trying to install the 1Password extension for Edge from the Microsoft Store and get the following error:

`Something unexpected happened

Reporting this problem will help us understand it better. You can
wait a bit and try again or restart your device. That may help.

Code: 0x80073D05

[Report this problem] [Close]`

I'm not entirely sure the hex code is the same every time but the general outcome of trying to install is the same each time. The issue has been happening for months and I just haven't bothered reporting it here, I have used the "Report this problem" button on the dialog box. I don't use Edge much but might use it more with the chromium version hitting.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: ? Store doesn't tell you
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.1836
Sync Type: AgileBits account
Referrer: forum-search:1Password extension for Microsoft Edge errors on install

Comments

• The Microsoft Store handles that install process, @mercurial, so anything going wrong there would be out of our hands. You're doing the right thing by reporting it, but that report would go to them, not us so I won't have any more insight into it that you do. That said, the Chromium version of Microsoft Edge uses an entirely different extension – the same one that we offer in the Chrome Web Store. So, if your concern is that you'll have the same issue with the new version, don't worry. Promising you won't have problems at all is how I jinx myself so I'll steer clear of that, but the fact that the Microsoft Store is giving you issues doesn't at all mean you'll have issues with the new Microsoft Edge. It has its own store with totally different extensions and a totally different install process. :+1:

• mercurial
    mercurial
    Community Member

I just installed the beta and that does seem to work correctly with the 1Password X though I've long had mixed feelings on that version versus the (older? retired?) method of extension -> helper executable -> 1Password app. Though that's a different thread along with the wish there was a native Linux client (not just the browser).

• If you prefer the companion extension, @mercurial, you can still use it. The new Edge allows you to install pretty much any extension available in the Chrome Web Store and the companion extension is available there. You'll need tweak a setting to allow installing extensions from the CWS – choose ... > Extensions in Edge, then toggle on "Allow extensions from other stores". Remove 1Password X, install the companion extension from CWS and you're set.

With that said, I would really encourage you to give 1Password X a chance. I'd count myself among the initial doubters when we first released it and definitely stuck with my trusty old extension for quite some time. But, when the time came to release the stable version of 1Password X, I'd honestly come to prefer how it fills. It was so easy to navigate with the keyboard my old extension felt clunky by comparison. Of course, that's just me – you may well be different and that's obviously okay. I just know that like most humans, I don't like change and almost missed out on something that ultimately works better for me because I wasn't giving it a chance. :chuffed:

• djlajoie
    djlajoie
    Community Member

“Are you going to make a version that will work with the new Edge or is there a workaround until there is an update?

• djlajoie
    djlajoie
    Community Member

I see there is a beta on the store but it states it is for Chrome (I understand it works). Is there going to be a release that is specifically written for Edge Chromium?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@djlajoie: 1Password extensions for the new version of Edge are already available for download on our website. Here are the direct links:

Please note that in order to install 1Password companion extension, you will need to enable the following setting in the new Edge: go to ... > Extensions, and toggle on "Allow extensions from other stores".

Let us know how it works for you. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• mercurial
    mercurial
    Community Member

I was really thinking why 1Password X versus the companion extension bugged me and I think it boils down to one thing. I have passwords I have to enter into apps and I have multiple browsers that I use (as part of my software dev job) and with the companion, as long as the app was unlocked, the browser extension was too. But with X, I will end up opening that app to put a password into a program. Then end up in a browser (or 2) shortly after that and have to unlock X all over again. I guess that just felt a bit clunky even if it was a better solution. Also, when setting up a new machine (which I do more often that most folks most likely) the app has a way to scan a QR code to get the master secret but the X version (at least last time I remember setting it up from scratch) didn't have a way to access the camera for that. Minor but slightly annoying.

Thanks for the feedback. Now I'll just quietly wait for 1Password for Windows dark mode and some day 1Password for Linux that isn't just a snap app wrapping the website. ;)

• For whatever it's worth, @mercurial, we are working on desktop app integration with 1Password X. It's nowhere near close enough for an ETA, but it's on the list. That would sort out the unlocking problem and setting things up fresh. As for filling in apps, you can drag and drop from 1Password X and avoid the desktop app completely, if you'd like. I personally prefer that over copy/paste from the desktop app given I'm usually in my browser already and over Type in Window as I've always found that to be a few too many clicks. Might be it works well for you too. :chuffed:

• mercurial
    mercurial
    Community Member

Glad to hear that the integration/coordination in on the road map. Usually just pop up the mini-browser (Ctrl-Alt-) and either copy/paste or use "type in window" though the later sometimes fails or certain windows don't show up at times. The only minor gripe I have with that is, it disappears immediately on loosing focus and doesn't remember the search on next popup. That would be nice to have as a setting like "stay active for X seconds" so the next hotkey just brings it back to the front for the next field (or even temporarily stay on top) and/or the ability to remember the last search field for a short period of time. Minor things but would be nice for QoL enhancements.

• That's another on the list, actually, and I'm to blame for it. Going off my memory here so I might be a bit off, but I believe that if you access mini by clicking the extension icon in your browser, it'll remember the search but it doesn't do so when accessed from your system tray. Obviously, the former request the companion extension so only helps under the right circumstances. Again, though, an issue we're aware of and not something we consider correct behavior so we'll get that fixed up. :+1:

• Danielon
    Danielon
    Community Member

Hello @bundtkate

is it possible to make 1Password X extension compatible with windows hello? I like 1Password X more than companion extension but I like the windows hello feature from the companion extension.

Are you planning to intergrate it please ?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Danielon:

Our focus right now is integrating 1Password X with the desktop app. You can read more about it here.

This discussion has been closed.