Proxy auto-detection doesn't work for my setup [Fixed in 7.4.740 update]

jmart75
jmart75
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Having issues getting 1Password to sync changes between my computer and 1Password.com account. I'm not sure if this started with the beta or when I switched over to Malwarebytes Premium. I found in other comments it's a good idea to whitelist the application and 1Password.com in Malwarebytes but that didn't seem to fix the problem. I turned off Malwarebytes' real-time protection and that didn't solve the problem either.

I'm seeing the following errors:

• ERR opw_ipc:80 > failed to create and wait for client on port main: opw-ipc\src\lib.rs:296 CreateNamedPipeW (error code 231: All pipe instances are busy.)
  • WRN opw_app::api:95 > could not get network configuration: opw-ipc\src\lib.rs:125 WaitNamedPipeW (error code 121: The semaphore timeout period has expired.)

1Password Version: 7.4.738
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 - Firefox
OS Version: Windows 10 1909
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• Hi @jmart75,

Thanks for reporting this. The errors you have is saying that when 1Password is trying to get the network settings, it couldn't do so in time and that for certain tasks, it couldn't talk back to the main 1Password process as it was too busy. This is usually a sign of interference.

Beside Malwarebytes, do you use anything else for security or network-related tools like a proxy, VPN, etc?

If you exit 1Password via the 1Password menu > Exit, wait a few seconds, and then restart 1Password, unlock, does it seem to fix itself?

• jmart75
    jmart75
    Community Member

@MikeT,

I appreciate the speedy reply, you guys are amazing!

I do have VPN software installed but I rarely use it. Do you think using the VPN and getting a server not in my local area may have caused problems? I don't have travel mode enabled. I'm experiencing this issue on both Windows 10-1909 machines running the same beta build on completely different networks (one corporate and the other at my house)? Unfortunately, exiting 1Password does not fix the problem nor did a restart. I'm sure I just need to sign out but from reading the forums there's a chance any changes I've made will be lost. I will go to the offline files and make notes so I can update those if you suggest I sign out and sign back in. My main reason for submitting the question was to see if anyone else was experiencing issues with the beta and syncing since it seemed to happen yesterday when I updated both machines to the 7.4.738 build.

• @jmart75,

Please do not sign out, that will result in the loss of any local edits, and that shouldn't be required at all as it is not related to these errors.

Do you think using the VPN and getting a server not in my local area may have caused problems?

No, it should not matter where you sign in. We have a notification that tells you if you're in a blocked region if you have a 1Password Business plan with firewall rules set to block certain locations.

Can you try rebooting into safe mode with networking to see if that lets you sync? Here's how: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

• jmart75
    jmart75
    Community Member

@MikeT

Starting in safe mode fixed the sync issue 8-).

The only other thing that changed on both systems in the last few days is adding Malwarebytes Premium. I figured adding 1Password.exe and 1password.com to the whitelist and disabling real-time protection then restarting would be enough to stop it from interfering but I guess it wasn't. I will see if I can mess with the setting. If not I will remove Malwarebytes and see if it works. Thanks again for your time!

• @jmart75,

That's good, at least you're on the right track.

Please do keep us informed of your progress, we'd love to know what you have to do to get 1Password to work as I'm sure other MalwareBytes users would appreciate that information as well.

Thanks in advance.

• jmart75
    jmart75
    Community Member

@MikeT

I'm currently going through this forum post on Malwarebytes' webiste: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/254739-ransomware-protection-interferes-with-roboform-extension/. They mention 1Password in there but I'm wondering if it's a separate issues since it mentions it with the Chrome extension not the 1Password app.

• MikeT
    edited February 2020

Hard to say without knowing what they're doing but likely a separate issue. At least they are working to resolve the issue, so it may be helpful to let them know what you're seeing now.

I'll see if I can reproduce the issue next week and report it as well if I do.

• jmart75
    jmart75
    Community Member

@MikeT

Awesome, thanks!

• You're welcome.

• jmart75
    jmart75
    Community Member

@MikeT

Well, I just completely removed Malwarebytes and it still isn't syncing. I've been syncing this way, basically with Windows Defender as the only AV solution, for several months so I don't think Windows Defender would be it. I'm not sure what else it could be but I will keep testing and let you know.

• Hi @jmart75,

Are you seeing the same errors with not able to get the network configuration? Try checking the proxy settings in the 1Password Menu > Settings > Advanced. Switch to no-proxy server option, this will skip any configuration we need to do in real time.

• jmart75
    jmart75
    Community Member

@MikeT

I didn't check the log again as I ran out of time yesterday evening but doing as you suggested and turning it to no-proxy versus auto-detect proxy fixed the problem. I tested it without Malwarebytes Premium installed and with it installed and it worked fine both ways. I won't be using a proxy at home or at work so leaving it off won't cause problems. Thank you so much for this suggestion/solution as I would not have figured it out.

Best Regards!

• Interesting, I wonder why it couldn't work with auto-detect on your setup but then again, it worked fine in safe mode? Technically, it is supposed to fall back to direct connection/no-proxy if it cannot detect anything.

Could you email us your 1Password diagnostics report? There may be extra details it can collect about your network setup that might tell us something. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@agilebits.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• jmart75
    jmart75
    Community Member

@MikeT

Yes, everything worked fine in safe mode with networking not changing any of the proxy settings. I emailed the diagnostic report a few minutes ago. Please, keep in mind I didn't switch anything back to the way it was before when it was broken before creating the report. If I need to change things back let me know.

• Got the report, thanks. We'll review and reply to your email as soon as we have something.

• jmart75
    jmart75
    Community Member

@MikeT

@neil_jordan sent me a test build that seems to handle the auto-detect proxy issues. I wanted to post here in case anyone else is having this same issue. I appreciate both of your help!

• That's great news. We're going to validate and make sure it doesn't cause a regression elsewhere, if it doesn't, we'll ship it in the next beta update.

• Hi @jmart75,

We've just shipped 7.4.740 Beta 2 with the fix, please give it a try and let us know it is still working fine.

• jmart75
    jmart75
    Community Member

I tested the new build and it worked like it was supposed to.

I switched from 'No proxy server' back to the default 'Auto-detect network settings' and hit refresh. It did not give me the 'Could not connect to your proxy' error like it did on 7.4.738 (as @MikeT and @neil_jordan know I've never been connected to a proxy enabled).

Thank you 1Password Team for being so attentive to my, possibly, unique situation!

• Awesome, thank you for helping us test this.

On behalf of the team, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.