What are Sections and labels in secure notes? Is there are secure note overview?

I started with 1Password today and am confused about Secure Notes. I saw the post about using Markdown for the note, which is cool. But where can I find out about what the Section and Label fields are for?

I thought I could use them to put sections in my notes, but it doesn't seem to work like that. and the labels don't make sense at all (to me at least!)

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:secure notes overview

Comments

• Blake
    edited February 2020

Hey there @madbaker 🍞😡

As a longtime 1Password user, I've made extensive use of Secure Notes. This feature is mostly literal, meaning it's your notepad that takes all of your scraps of information and organizes them into one place. Because this is 1Password, they're safe and sound, protected by my Master Password and end-to-end encryption.

Sections and Labels are for more permanent things that you'd associate with a particular login item. Such as security questions, PINs, multiple contact numbers, addresses etc.

For instance, you store your bank login information, but you always want to keep the address of your local banks branch, the number to your banker, and the security question and PIN number associated with your account? That's the kind of information you'd want to store nice and neatly using Sections and Labels.

Here's what it would look like if you were storing things using both the sections and labels, in addition to keeping notes about that particular item stored there.

• madbaker
    madbaker
    Community Member

Got it! Thanks Blake!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Blake, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.