1P starting to suggest instead of fill-in.

I suppose it started with new version (7.3.2). When I use the shortcut for fill-in for some sites, 1P mini opens and suggests that site only.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: 10.14.6 (18G87)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @june8

I'm not entirely sure I follow, as the way I'm reading your description sounds like how 1Password is supposed to work... For example if you're on 1Password.com and open 1Password Mini, you'll only be offered Login items that have a website field with 1password.com in them. You won't see any Login items for google.com. That is intentional, and is how 1Password has always worked.

Could you please clarify the difficulty you're having?

Ben

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

I open a window which requires a password to sign-in. Then I press fill-login shortcut (not Show 1P shortcut) . 1P opens 1P mini window and suggest only that particular site, instead of fill-in the password. This happens for some sites, not for all.

• @june8,

Gotcha. So, there is only one match suggested, but instead of automatically filling it, the mini UI shows up? If that's the case could you please post an example of the URL you're viewing when this happens as well as the contents of each website field on the Login item you want to be filled?

Ben

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

I uploaded a sample video:

https://youtu.be/CbAl--6LN9Y

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the video @june8. I wonder if this is something specific to this website. Is the same thing happening on other websites?

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

Yes, it happens some other sites as well. Weird thing is; for example if it happens for a site in Safari, it does not happen in Firefox for the same site, vice versa.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@june8:

Are you able to share a URL where this happens and that we can test? Unfortunately the video you posted shows a website that we cannot access, so we would like to test this and see if we can reproduce it here.

• june8
    june8
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

[removed by 1Password staff because it included personal information-- this is a public forum]

For example: https://www.artiway.com.tr/

Giriş

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@june8:

Thank you. I have also removed the screenshot from your post for you since it included some personal information.

I have just tried filling on that website and things works for me without issues. I noticed however that your Login item only includes a password field, no username. Since the login process for the website is split over two pages, can you please try adding your username in your 1Password login item and see if that helps when you try to fill?

• june8
    june8
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

Thank you very much for your reply. I added username field and my mail address as username. In Safari, this time 1P filled the username without displaying a suggestion. But, it displayed the suggestion when I used the shortcut again to fill the password in the second prompt. In Firefox, 1P still displayed the suggestion, but there were no any site info in that suggestion.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@june8 – I want to make sure I'm following. When you mention the word suggestion, are you referring to the 1Password mini pop up that allows you to select which Login you'd like filled?

When using the keyboard shortcut ⌘-\ (or Control + \ on Windows), if you have a single Login item for that website, it'll fill right away. However, if you have multiple Logins for the website you're visiting, 1Password mini will appear so you can select which Login you'd like filled.

Here's a video showing the behavior when I use the keyboard shortcut and have one single Login item stored for twitter.com.

Here's a video showing the behavior when I use the keyboard shortcut and have multiple Login items stored for twitter.com.

With that information in mind, can you let me know how 1Password is acting out of the ordinary when filling?

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

kaitlyn, Thank you very much for your detailed reply.

But the problem is: there are no multiple logins.

Also, while 1P fills properly without suggestion for a site in Safari, same 1P displays mini and wants me to select a login for that same site in Firefox, or vice versa.

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

For example:

https://www.sikayetvar.com

1Password fills properly in Safari, but display 1P mini in Firefox.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

I see! Thanks for the confirmation, @june8. In your last video, it looked a bit like there were multiple Logins, but I'm realizing those are Identity items with custom icons. Let me test it out with the site you just gave me, and I'll let you know what I find.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Alright, @june8. I've tested everything I can on https://www.sikayetvar.com, and when I have one Login saved, 1Password is filling the credentials automatically (without showing 1Password mini) on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.

When you press Command-\ in Firefox and 1Password mini appears, what do you see there?

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

First of all, I should say that my shortcut is not Command-\ (because I have Turkish keyboard layout and Command-\ is not possible to use as a shortcut) but I don't think this cause a problem.

Before I give you the sample site, I tested it first with Safari, and Firefox. 1P filled properly in Safari but displayed 1P mini in Firefox. There were no site name related to that site in the mini display but all other logins.

But, I did the same test again with both browser and 1P filled properly with Firefox too. I don't know why sometimes this problem arrises.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@june8 – Interesting! It seems like 1Password mini was appearing without knowledge of what URL you were visiting in Firefox. Hence why it was showing all of your Logins rather than only suggested items.

I'm glad to hear that's working for you now. If you come across the same situation in the future, feel free to post the URL here so we can test it out on our end.

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

Again, with a same site, 1P fills properly with Safari, but opens mini with Firefox.

https://giris.turkiye.gov.tr/Giris/

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @june8 ,
    Just to make sure here, I'd like to clarify one more time how are you trying to autofill - are you only using the keyboard shortcut when you are already on the website, or are you first trying to open and fill from the 1Password desktop app or mini popup?

I'm asking because trying to open and fill from 1Password while Firefox/Chrome has no open windows might cause the issue you are describing, but trying to autofill while you are already on the page should work properly.

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

I am using the keyboard shortcut when I am already on the website, with both browsers.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for confirming.
    I'd like you to try and save a new login for one of these websites manually and see if the new login works properly in all of your browsers.
    Here's how:
    1. Open 1Password and delete the current login you have for the website (temporarily copy the username/password to a save place before deleting).
    2. Go to the website's login page.
    3. Manually fill in your username/password and then save it as a new login using this method: https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/
    4. Test and see if you are able to autofill with the new login in all of your browsers without 1Password popping up and suggesting it.

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

Did what you said, but nothing changed. 1P opens mini in Firefox instead of filling.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the followup @june8 .
    Can you please check the login in your 1Password and see if the website URL is identical to the website you're actually trying to fill in?

If you are on https://www.sikayetvar.com/ in your Firefox, does the login for this website in 1Password also has that exact URL in its details, or is it a bit different, for example: https://signup.sikayetvar.com/login.html

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

Yes, the website URLs are identical. Interesting thing is that when I just test them, this time 1P filled normally in Firefox but it opened mini in Safari. I must admit that this behavior of 1P not for only this site but some other sites as well.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2020

Thanks for the followup @june8 .

This is strange indeed. I'd like us to try and test things in a cleaner environment, to make sure there are no interruptions by some other 3rd party software. Here's what I'd like you to try:

1. Download and install the latest version of 1Password from our website: https://1password.com/downloads/ (since you mentioned you are running 7.3.2, and the latest is 7.4.1).
    2. Restart your Mac, and as soon as it starts booting hold down the SHIFT key on your keyboard until you see the Apple logo. That will start your Mac in Safe Mode.
    3. It might take a while so give it time to boot. Once it is up, open and unlock the 1Password app.
    4. Open Safari and see if you are able to reproduce the issue. If everything works well, quit Safari completely, then open Firefox and test there. Always quit the previous browser before testing another browser.
    5. When you are done, restart your Mac without holding SHIFT so your Mac can boot normally and let us know the results.
  • june8
    june8
    Community Member

1P filled properly with the both browsers in safe mode.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update, @june8 .

The test results indicate that there's an app on your Mac that might be interfering with 1Password's functionality, since Safe Mode disables all non-system apps on startup. I suggest you go to the login items in your System Preferences -> Users settings and disable all apps that turn on automatically when your Mac boots up, then test and see if 1Password works properly even when not in Safe Mode.

If everything is working as it should, you can then start enabling your apps back on one at a time, and testing after each one you turn back on so you can see which app might be causing this. It's a bit of a hassle but it's the only way we have currently to find the culprit :)

• june8
    june8
    Community Member

I remember the Conflict Catcher :)

Not all login applications are in the Login Items of the System Preferences. Some of them are in the loginitems.XXX.plist file. (XXX is the user code). So, there are so many items to test one by one, and will have to logout and login for each of them. Sorry, but I quit.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

If you have many login items, then doing it by groups is a better idea than one by one. You can go for groups of 5-10 - enable only 5-10 apps on startup and see if the issue occurs. If it does, then you know one of the apps in that last group is the culprit, start narrow it down in that group :)

If you have so much going on in your Mac, perhaps it is time for a little clean up? Who knowns how many other side-effects you are experiencing in other apps without even knowing about it :)
    In any way, I understand this might be a bit overwhelming but at least we have a better clue as to what the problem is. Feel free to take a break from it and get back when you feel it is time. We'll be here to help as always.

This discussion has been closed.