Security Questions Feature Request

Options
calicyclist
calicyclist
Community Member

As anyone who is in the security industry knows, security questions are a terrible idea. They essentially create backdoors into accounts with information that can be public searchable with enough effort. So, how to handle security questions - randomly generate answers to put into them and store them in a password manager such as 1Password,

I can do this right now but it is extremely inefficient. Here is the current process I follow:

1) Go to website and security questions change page
2) Click to select a security question.
3) Open 1Password and click generate password. Change the type to memorable password. Click save and copy
4) Paste the data into the field and update the response.
5) Open 1Password and find the right site. Click Edit. Add a field. Paste in the security question from the site. Paste in the memorable password which you generated, Click Save.
6) Repeat for as many security questions required.

The amount of clicking back and forth and opening and closing 1Password to do this is overly excessive.

It would be really nice if 1Password could add a security question feature that included a generate password button within the extra fields for security questions that auto populated and saved when you filled it.

This feature would be a huge improvement over all of your competition and really make 1Password a innovator in this space.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @calicyclist!

Thank you for your suggestion! We will definitely keep it in mind should we find ourselves working on security questions support in 1Password :+1:

In the meantime, may I recommend a quicker method to do this? When you find yourself on a website where you have to create security questions, I wouldn't recommend using the password generator. I personally switch back to the 1Password app, and create as many password fields as the answers I need, directly in the item:

So at least I don't have to save temporary passwords, and I can just edit the item directly :)

• calicyclist
    calicyclist
    Community Member
    Options

So how are you generating the answers to the questions then?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@calicyclist:

I click on the gear icon next to the dropdown menu to call the password generator directly in that section ;)

• calicyclist
    calicyclist
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

EDIT:

Nevermind. I just read your last post and didn't remember the one above. I never saw I could change the type from test to password and the generator showed up. That is so much easier. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@calicyclist, you are very welcome! :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.