The Mac v7 Duplicate Remover doesn't seem to work very well

Options
jaddison
jaddison
Community Member

I wanted to mention two things:

• it won't deduplicate across sub-vaults (I have Private, Shared, and several other work-related vaults)
  • even within a single vault, it appears to leave duplicates in place (I'm unsure if this is due to a bug, or the duplicate detection criteria are too strict?)

1Password Version: 7.4.1 (70401002)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.2 (19C57)
Sync Type: 1password families subscription
Referrer: forum-search:duplicate

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jaddison!

That's correct, the duplicate removal tool works inside a single vault at the time. It should however delete all duplicates in that vault: if it doesn't, it usually means that the items are not exact copies (perhaps something changed from one to the other since the original duplication).

• jaddison
    jaddison
    Community Member
    Options

Can you share what it uses to determine whether an entry is a duplicate? Visually, the items looked the same (I manually compared them to clean the duplicates up).

• Ben
    Options

@jaddison

I don't have the specifics but I can say that it is very picky about what it considers to be a duplicate. Did you check the 'saved form details' on each item to be sure they're the same?

Ben

• jaddison
    jaddison
    Community Member
    Options

Too late now, I've done it manually - but there's very little likelihood there were many differences, as there were approximately 100 'missed' duplicates - and many of those hadn't been used in a long time (they would fall outside of the window for being changed though normal use).

I mentioned it here purely as a data point for your team to keep an eye out for issues around duplicate cleanup/tagging. Not much can be done for me now. :)

• Ben
    Options

Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback, @jaddison. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.