Block 1Password on a site?

As a web app developer I have customers who wish to block the use of password managers. Other than dynamically generating the login field names, is there a way to do this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:block

Comments

• Hey @billsaysthis! Thanks for asking about this. Historically we've ignored the autocomplete="off" attribute for fields, as this is often abused or used in fields we do actually want to fill, although that would actually be the best method to achieve this goal.

Are these pages already in existence, and if so, would you be able to share the URLs with us so we can collect some page details? We're currently looking at methods for better respecting this attribute while not negatively impacting 1Password's overall usability. If the URLs are confidential, that's okay, or if you'd be more comfortable sharing over email, that's certainly an option, as well. Or if the pages aren't available to the general public but you're willing to help further, we can work with you to have you collect those page details for us, too. :smile:

• billsaysthis
    billsaysthis
    Community Member

The page is https://service.fed.sumologic.com/ui/, although the change that adds autocomplete="off" hasn't made it through to production yet. In most instances, of course, a login page is exactly why you want to use 1Password (which I do myself) but in this instance...

• Thanks for that, @billsaysthis. It does seem like the perfect webpage for 1Password, but I hear you. :frown: Is that the only change in the works? Is there a date for it? I want to send the page details to the dev team, but obviously if they're going to change soon that might not be too helpful. :smile:

• billsaysthis
    billsaysthis
    Community Member

That's the only change in the works (adding autocomplete="off" to the <form> element).

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for confirming @billsaysthis .
    Do you have a date for when this change will reach production? We'd rather collect the page details when it is complete so we will have the exact structure of it from the live version.

• billsaysthis
    billsaysthis
    Community Member

One week. But there's nothing special about this form, I don't see why you need to wait a week to answer how I can accomplish this. Are you expecting me to believe no one has ever asked this before?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @billsaysthis,
    You cannot accomplish this on your own at the moment, our devs need to adjust 1Password to play nicely in your website as you want it to.

Therefor we need to collect the page details when the page is set and done, so they can address the issue and adjust 1Password accordingly specifically on your website. Please reply here again once the final version of the page is online so we can send it to our developers along with all the details :)

• billsaysthis
    billsaysthis
    Community Member

Thanks Yaron, the offer is appreciated, but after checking with the PM we prefer not to go ahead with this. For it to really work on our side we'd need similar cooperation from other password manager vendors.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thank for the update @billsaysthis ,
    Indeed, most (if not all) password managers ignore the 'autofill=off' attribute, so if you want a global solution that doesn't apply just in 1Password, you'll have to get creative there.

If you do keep the page as is, let us know and we'll happily adjust it on our end regardless.

• billsaysthis
    billsaysthis
    Community Member

Thanks!

• You're very welcome, on behalf of Yaron. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.