Desktop App Does Not Accept My Password

Options

The desktop app does not accept my password. I tried uninstalling the app from my windows pc and reinstalling it using a d.ownload link from your site, but still unable to access the vault. Has anyone else reported this problem? I am on version 7.3.712.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ashleyb_adams,

Have you changed your Master Password recently? If you have, you'll need to finish changing your Master Password in the app. Open and unlock 1Password 7 on your PC using your old Master Password, click the red authentication error banner, and sign in with your new Master Password.

Please try to do that and let me know how it goes. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• jmjm
    jmjm
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

I have the exact same problem this morning. I hadn't changed the MP in several weeks BUT it might have been the case that I have never logged into the desktop app with the new password as I only use 1PX...just guessing.

@Greg I did as you suggested and 1P Windows application does open and I see the logins have now syncd but that was a bit nerve wracking. Why doesn't changing the password get sync'd across all of the 1P platforms instantaneously (I have an individual membership)?
    And it begs the question...what would I have done if I couldn't have remembered the "old Master Password"?

• ashleyb_adams
    ashleyb_adams
    Community Member
    Options

By golly, you did it @Greg!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ashleyb_adams: I am glad to hear that my hunch was correct! Feel free to contact us anytime, we are always happy to help. :+1:

@jmjm: We describe and warn about this behaviour in our article on how to change your Master Password here. See the following paragraph under "If you have a 1Password account and no standalone vaults":

If you’re using 1Password for Windows, you’ll need to finish changing your password in the app. Open and unlock 1Password using your old Master Password, click the red authentication error banner, and sign in with your new Master Password.

We have plans to change this behaviour on Windows in the future, but I do not have any timeframes at this point. As for your question, if you change the Master Password for your 1Password account, you can sign in to your account on 1Password.com with your new Master Password immediately. It means that if you forget your old Master Password, you can always start over with 1Password 7 for Windows and set it up from scratch. It will unlock with your new Master Password after that.

I hope it helps. Please let me know if you have other questions. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.