Vault items lost "never show in browser" flag

finwe
finwe
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Not sure when exactly, but must have been around the last two beta updates: I noticed that at least some of my items lost the "never show in browser" flag. I am sure I didn't touch the items manually. Can you please investigate?

1Password Version: 7.4.740
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @finwe,

Thanks for reporting this. Can you clarify this a bit more; we have not touched that code for 1Password 7.4 as far as I recall.

1. Are you saying when you edit some of your Login items, you don't see never display in browser flag? I checked my items and I still see them:
    2. If it is some of them, can you detect any sort of patterns, are they fairly odd or were imported?
    3. If you create a new Login item, do you see it?
  • finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    1. I see the form element, the checkbox, but it is unchecked with items, that were definitely checked as of last week (noticed this with G Suite logins, I have about a half of them hidden for the mini app).
    2. It seems that the unchecked items were the ones I hid after the discussion in https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/108639/item-not-showing-in-1password-mini-search-shows-in-full-app#latest. Those hidden before the discussion remained hidden. But it's been a while and I do not remember exactly.
    3. N/A, see 1.

I have one more idea about how this could have happened, but it is a shaky one:

As I was testing private builds provided by a 1password engineer fixing another issue, I didn't want to test them on my real life vaults, so I backed up 1Password local app data, created a test local vault, removed 1Pass settings, tested the private build with the test vault, removed the test build and restored the last beta with backed-up app data. The items that lost their settings are stored in Dropbox, I do not know if it is possible for particular items to somehow revert to older versions - I have fresh items in that same vault that i definitely created after hiding the items mentioned above.

Still seems a bit flawed, though.

• MikeT
    edited February 2020

@finwe,

My apologies, I misunderstand. You meant the setting became undone for your items somehow.

I just want to be 100% sure I have this right, do you see any changes you've made between Nov 2019 and the time you tested the private builds?

The reason I asked is that flag is not some metadata that is stored outside of your items; in other words, it is the same as editing any of your items; it's stored within the item's metadata itself and encrypted as well. That's how it syncs to all 1Password apps.

So, it would be very odd that it is only affecting just that flag and you see no other recent changes.

I didn't want to test them on my real life vaults, so I backed up 1Password local app data, created a test local vault, removed 1Pass settings

When you said you removed 1Password settings, what does that mean?

The items that lost their settings are stored in Dropbox, I do not know if it is possible for particular items to somehow revert to older versions

It actually is possible via sync conflicts; if another copy of the vault was introduced and the timestamps weren't accurate. That's why we back up daily if you make any changes.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

do you see any changes you've made between Nov 2019 and the time you tested the private builds?

I have items created during Dec 2019 and Jan 2020. I also see edits in items from mid January 2020.

When you said you removed 1Password settings, what does that mean?

I deleted all content from 1Password appdata and let the structure be recreated by the privat build "installer".

That's why we back up daily if you make any changes.

Is there a safe way I could browse the backups so I could compare the status of "never show in browser" checkbox in affected items?

• MikeT
    edited February 2020

@finwe,

Did you check the item's timestamp to see when it was modified, was it before November or within the last two beta updates?

Is there a safe way I could browse the backups so I could compare the status of "never show in browser" checkbox in affected items?

Unfortunately, no, since they can be individually encrypted; you'd have to manually extract the backup, rename it, and add to 1Password to decrypt and view them alongside the original vault.

(We did build a solution for 1Password accounts via the Item History feature.)

I just tested this; I created an item in 1Password 7.3 with the flag enabled, updated to 7.4 beta 1 and then beta 2, everything remained the same. So, it is not any kind of a migration issue.

It does sound like a conflict caused by changing the database/vault around.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

It unfortunately didn't occur to me to check the modification date before i reset the flag.

With what should the current vault conflict, when the change (turning the flag on) was set a few months back? And how come I noticed the change only with those two (out of about 350) items in my vault?

Anyway, will report if I notice anyting more specific.

• @finwe,

You could try going through Dropbox's activity logs to see if there were any unexpected conflict files created: https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/file-activity

With what should the current vault conflict, when the change (turning the flag on) was set a few months back?

The only thing that make sense is an older copy of a specific band file was copied or sync'ed back.

And how come I noticed the change only with those two (out of about 350) items in my vault?

If these two items were just in a single band file, it's that specific band file that was conflicted with a different copy and it was replaced with that if you were syncing with another 1Password app.

You can make a lot of changes and not touch the same band.

This discussion has been closed.