Firefox Extension Question

Options

Hello,

I've installed Firefox v72.0.2 (64-bit) & the 1PW extension for it on a Windows 10 PC. When I launch Firefox I receive a pop-up stating: "Welcome to 1Password X. If you have a 1Password account sign in to get started." The pop-up also notes "1Password X (Firefox) version 117.0".

Would like to confirm that it's okay to log in at the pop-up or if I should do so only when I want to use the extension. Guessing it's the former because I don't see a way to make the extension work without signing in.

Bottom line, I'm just trying to understand if it's safe to log into my 1PW account AND "stay logged in" within Firefox even when I'm not accessing 1PW.

Thanks in advance for clarifying

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 1Password X (Firefox) version 117.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey there @55208wcgk! 👋

I'm glad you asked. It is required that you sign into your 1Password account in order to use 1Password X. 1Password X is made to be there when you need it, but you always have the option to lock it while you're not actively using it. Locking 1Password X (while your account is signed in) will prevent access to your 1Password data without entering your Master Password. 1Password X also has auto-lock settings built in, so if your computer idles for an amount of time set by you, then 1Password X locks automatically to ensure your data can't be accessed by anyone other than you. If you're curious about the security of 1Password X, I'd recommend taking a look at this article. Towards the bottom of that page, you'll see some tips for how to protect yourself while using 1Password X that may be helpful.

If you have any other questions for me, feel free to send them my way. :)

• 55208wcgk
    55208wcgk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for the reply, Kaitlyn. So my takeaway is that it is safe to sign into the 1Password X extension - in Firefox or Chrome or Safari or... well, those are the ones I use - & to stay logged in afterward. That I can log out of it but would then have to reenter my master PW again to use 1PWX, which seems like it would defeat the purpose of using it to begin with.

Is that pretty much the bottom line?

& just to confirm, this process is the same across apps: Firefox, Google, etc., correct?

Thanks again. 1PW really is my go to app but given the data it houses I really want to ensure I'm following best security practices & not leaving any holes open.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@55208wcgk – You're very welcome!

So my takeaway is that it is safe to sign into the 1Password X extension - in Firefox or Chrome or Safari or... well, those are the ones I use - & to stay logged in afterward.

Just to clarify, 1Password X isn't available in Safari, so you'll be using our desktop dependent 1Password extension there.

That I can log out of it but would then have to reenter my master PW again to use 1PWX, which seems like it would defeat the purpose of using it to begin with.

If I were you, I'd sign into 1Password X when you need it, then lock it whenever you no longer need it. For me personally, I use 1Password X pretty much every time I use my browser because there's generally something I'll need to sign into. You may not, so I'll leave it up to you if you want to sign in to 1Password X right away or not. Either way, it's safe to use your browser while your account is signed into 1Password X. If you want to dive deeper into best practices with 1Password X installed, take a look at the article I linked in my last comment.

& just to confirm, this process is the same across apps: Firefox, Google, etc., correct?

1Password X is available in Chrome, Firefox, and any Chromium-based browser, and the behavior is the same across the board.

Thanks again. 1PW really is my go to app but given the data it houses I really want to ensure I'm following best security practices & not leaving any holes open.

I absolutely love that you're making security a priority! That's really awesome, and it sounds like 1Password will (or potentially already is) work well for you.

• 55208wcgk
    55208wcgk
    Community Member
    Options

Understood. Thanks for your patience & insights, Kaitlyn. Have a great day.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@55208wcgk – Anytime! :)

I hope you have a great rest of your day as well.

This discussion has been closed.