The 1Password 7 extension is disabled in Firefox 72

Options
kuhnza
kuhnza
Community Member

I'm using a clean install of Firefox 72.0.2 on MacOS 10.15.3 with the latest extension (have also tried the beta) on 1Password 7.4.1 and the button remains greyed out no matter what I try (restarts, clean installs etc).

The logs are showing that it keeps disconnecting from the main application.

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Beta
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:firefox 72

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kuhnza! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Did this help?

• @kuhnza,

This actually shows that you do not have a 1Password json file present in your ~/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessageHosts directory rather than it "disconnecting from the main application". I would recommend doing what @ag_ana says and then verify that you have an appropriate json file at the path i mentioned.

• kuhnza
    kuhnza
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_ana and @rudy but no luck. I quit 1Password completely as you suggested and checked ~/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts but no JSON file.

I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password to not avail. Is there a way to force 1Password to regenerate that file?

• rudy
    edited February 2020
    Options

@kuhnza,

Quitting completely and launching 1Password again should regenerate the file. Does that path exist? Do you have permission to write to it?

The file should be ~/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts/2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json

• pynch
    pynch
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

I am having the same problem as kuhnza, with the same OS 10.15.3, Firefox 72.0.2, and 1Password 7.4.3-BETA-0. I have also tried installing/reinstalling 1 Password and Firefox a few times and restarting several times.

I do have the .json file present, and the permissions is set to Read & Write for me only, and Read for "staff" and "everyone".

• kuhnza
    kuhnza
    Community Member
    Options

Bingo, that was it @rudy! Permissions for the NativeMessagingHosts folder were somehow set to root:staff instead of <username>:staff.

As soon as I ran chown <username>:staff ~/Library/Application\ Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts the file appeared and the extension now works.

Thanks

• rudy
    edited February 2020
    Options

@kuhnza,

That's great to hear. We've definitely seen installers for some other extensions create that folder with the wrong permissions. I want to say Skype Business had one. Its not really appropriate for them to be creating folders in the user's home directory that aren't owned by the user.

• pynch
    pynch
    Community Member
    Options

I followed the above thread and still can't get it to work. Running chown <myname>:staff ~/Library/Application\ Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts didn't seem to make any difference. I completely quit 1Password, Firefox, and restarted the machine.

I'm running macOS 10.15.3, Firefox 72.0.2, and 1Password 7.4.3-BETA-0. Any help you could give would be appreciated.

• Ben
    Options

@pynch

What does this command return?

ls -la ~/Library/Application\ Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts

Please let me know.

Ben

• pynch
    pynch
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

@Ben
    Running that returns:

drwxrwxr-x@ 4 [user]  staff   128 Feb  5 08:57 .
    drwxr-xr-x@ 4 [user]  staff   128 Jun  4  2018 ..
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 [user]  staff  6148 Feb  5 08:57 .DS_Store
    -rw-r--r--@ 1 [user]  staff   420 Feb  5 08:57 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json

• Ben
    Options

That looks okay @pynch, so I'd have to say you're having a different issue than the OP. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message and change the To: address to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/110969/the-1password-7-extension-is-disabled-in-firefox-72#latest
    • Your forum username: pynch

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• pynch
    pynch
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben

BitBot just sent the Support ID number:

[#BUG-24937-443]

• @pynch

I see Michael has replied already, let's keep the conversation going via email to prevent duplication of efforts.

ref: BUG-24937-443

• pynch
    pynch
    Community Member
    Options

I sent the following to Michael Carlyle by email, but I am putting it here, too....

Michael,

I implemented your suggestions as you recommended. However, when I got to the creation of Firefox profiles, I did something terribly wrong and destroyed my Firefox preferences and lost all my bookmarks. I was able to recover all my bookmarks, and it took a few minutes to reset the preferences.

Before the recovery, though, I tried installing the 1Password browser extensions, and it started working right away, probably due to almost having a clean install of Firefox.

Then I added a couple privacy extensions back in one at a time, and 1Password continues to work correctly. So everything is good now, and I think you could call this support ticket closed for me.

Just one question: I am currently running the beta of 1Password. Would you recommend that I switch back to using the stable release only?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pynch:

Thank you. Since you have emailed Michael already, I will let him get back to you via email so we avoid replying to you in multiple places.

This discussion has been closed.