1Password 7 won't accept master password after update/upgrade.

zebulon303
zebulon303
Community Member

I updated to version 7 on Mac OS 10.13.14. Then I did the update it suggested. Currently shows as version 7.0.3. Since the upgrade/update it will not recognize my master password. I am 100% certain I am using the same password.

On my iphone app vers 7.0.6 I was able to login using touch ID, and then it let me change my master password (apparently recognizing my previous password.) On the Mac however it still will not recognize either one. I have only ever had one installation (on the Mac and one on iphone) and one vault. I get the same result using the Chrome browser extension on the Mac. The lack of phone support in this situation is extremely maddening and makes me question the trust I've placed in Agile bits.

I look forward to your prompt reply. If by some strange occurrence I actually have to log in to anything to get work done, I'm thinking restoring 1Password 6 from time machine backup is the way to go. Again, really disappointing support options for something so critical as ALL of one's passwords. Thanks.

Lon

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 10.13.14
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:1password 7 won't accept master password

Comments

• zebulon303
    zebulon303
    Community Member

I have posted this two other times and it has just disappeared. No record in my profile, no draft, no nothing. I'll try one more time. I have to say the lack of phone support is rather astonishing for such a mission-critical app.

Installed upgrade to v7 from v6 on MacOS. It would not accept my master password. I was 100% it was correct and I tried 50 times at least. I logged in on iphone version using touch ID, and was able to change my master password (entering the same old version reconfirming it was correct.)

Finally restored to v6 from time machine backup. v 6 did work with changed master password.

I have one vault. Not sure how I have it setup for syncing. Not sure where to find that. Not sure I'll ever want to try an upgrade again....

Its a great product when it works. And I've become dependent on it. So when it doesn't work and there is no support... or like a community discussion forum with little response... it does leave a sour-taste...
    Lon

1Password Version: 7
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: MacOS 10.13.4
    Sync Type: not sure

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@zebulon303: I'm sorry to hear that, but the Master Password is something only you could possibly know. So there just isn't going to be much we can do to help with that. The best option you have is, since it sounds like you have all of your data on the iPhone, to reset the app on your Mac and then sync that data over. At this point, I'd give you instructions to do all of that, but you omitted information on your sync setup. Are you using Dropbox? A 1Password.com membership? iCloud? If you'll let me know how you've been syncing your data between devices, I can tell you how to sync it back to your Mac after resetting. Thanks in advance.

• zebulon303
    zebulon303
    Community Member

brenty,
    Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I have not lost my master password. Version 7 just won't recognize it. The fact that I was able to log on via my iPhone and change my master password confirms this.

Since I really need access to passwords for things like, well, you know... work and everything else... :-/ I just downgraded back to version 6 and it now works again. I will have to wait to find some period of time when I can risk losing access to ... hmm... ALL my passwords... to try out version 7 again. And since I know the only support available is on this forum where I might get a response say, sometime in the next 24 hours, I'm not especially eager to try it again. :-(

1. Can you offer an explanation as to why version 7 might not recognize my master password?
    2. You ask how I have sync configured. I think I set it up to sync through the default 1password website? I don't see any way to tell in the preferences, but I am able to sign into the 1password website and see my one personal vault there. Does this help explain why version 7 doesn't recognize my master password?
    3. Have you considered offering some sort of more immediate customer support (chat? phone? quick replies to email?) for when your customers might suddenly lose access to all of their passwords?

Looking forward to your reply. Thank you.
    Lon

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@misterSunny: I don't think we brag about anything, but regardless I am sorry that it's taken me two days to get back to you. We've been pretty busy replying to others who had contacted us first, which I think is fair, but I'm sorry that meant you've had to wait longer than desired.

To be clear, unless someone else setup 1Password on your computer, the Master Password being requested is one you set yourself. But if you'd used different versions of 1Password over time and setup different Master Passwords for them, you may not be using the one you expect in the new app. For example, Mac App Store versions the one from our website.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report so we can see how you have things setup:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#YYV-27261-486]

If you’re reading this and you are not misterSunny, this Support ID is for misterSunny only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: YYV-27261-486

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I have not lost my master password. Version 7 just won't recognize it. The fact that I was able to log on via my iPhone and change my master password confirms this.

@zebulon303: I'm sorry for not being clearer too. What that proves is that you're using the data you expect on your iPhone, but not on your Mac. There's only one version for 1Password available for iOS, so it's a bit simpler there.

Since I really need access to passwords for things like, well, you know... work and everything else... :-/ I just downgraded back to version 6 and it now works again. I will have to wait to find some period of time when I can risk losing access to ... hmm... ALL my passwords... to try out version 7 again. And since I know the only support available is on this forum where I might get a response say, sometime in the next 24 hours, I'm not especially eager to try it again. :-(

Are you by any chance using the Mac App Store version of 1Password 6? I think that's part of what's going on here, if you've moved to the website version with version 7 and had some old data from the website version of 1Password 6 hanging around.

Can you offer an explanation as to why version 7 might not recognize my master password?

You ask how I have sync configured. I think I set it up to sync through the default 1password website? I don't see any way to tell in the preferences, but I am able to sign into the 1password website and see my one personal vault there. Does this help explain why version 7 doesn't recognize my master password?

The other possibility, if you're using a 1Password.com account, is that you've got a different Master Password setup for the local vault you have in the app that you setup for your account. The best I can do without more information though is speculate. You'd be in a better position to know what you've done.

Have you considered offering some sort of more immediate customer support (chat? phone? quick replies to email?) for when your customers might suddenly lose access to all of their passwords?

It's definitely something we've considered. We don't, however, have a call center and are not equipped to do instant support, as, in both cases, it is impossible to help with an issue like this that way, since you're not going to be able to provide the information we need that way, or follow detailed instructions on the spot. So we'll continue the conversation via email. But I think that it's fair that we reply first to others who contacted us earlier. I know that's not a satisfying answer, but that's the one I have. :(

In order to get to the bottom of the, I'd like you to generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Please send it to support@agilebits.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#VJA-95515-695]

If you’re reading this and you are not zebulon303, this Support ID is for zebulon303 only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. Let me know once you've sent it. Once we see it we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

ref: VJA-95515-695

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@misterSunny -- If you've been using 1Password for several years, then you began with a standalone setup: local data, manual, 3rd party sync, and a standalone license. Did you perhaps recently create a 1password.com account, as part of the upgrade process? If so, did you choose the same Master Password for it as you've been using for years with your standalone setup? To be clear, you can choose the same one...but you also don't have to. Might that be part of the issue here?

If you think about moving forward with an upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac, do you want to keep using a standalone license (you will need to purchase a new one if so; 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade for everyone)? Or did you want to switch to a 1password.com membership/account? Either can be done, but we'll need to have a look at what you may have already done, and what the situation is currently on your Mac. If you're interested in following up, go ahead and send in the diagnostics report brenty' requested, via email. Thanks! :)

• ask
    ask
    Community Member

FWIW we're running into this too.

I bought 1Password 7 on one computer, then on another we opened 1Password 7, everything was grayed out to not be editable (because the license wasn't installed?). Click on the license link in the email, go away from the computer for a few hours and when we come back the master password (not changed for years, still works on the iPhone) doesn't work.

Re-installing 1Password 6 gets the "which vault" wizard with none of the buttons doing anything.

• ask
    ask
    Community Member

Aha – so ...

On this computer the upgrade started because 1Password 6 started saying the vault was damaged (very user friendly).

The 1Password update then came from the app store, first in read-only mode. The license didn't work because it was the app store version (with no error message, again very user friendly), but instead decided to stop letting us open the vault with the correct password. Whoops?

After using AppZapper to get rid of both 6 and 7 and then installing 1Password7.pkg from the website we could open the vault (with the same password as before) and add the license.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @ask! Sorry to hear you're running into difficulties. To be honest, I had a bit of a hard time following exactly what happened and what steps you took, based on your description of it, but it sounds like you're all set now? Let me know if that's not the case.

By the way, we don't recommend the use of app cleaners or uninstallers like App Zapper to remove 1Password, as these can often remove more data than you want -- in some cases, including your actual 1Password data or other key components. If you need to reinstall 1Password, just make sure it's fully quit, then drag the application itself from your Applications folder to the trash.

• zebulon303
    zebulon303
    Community Member

@brenty

Are you by any chance using the Mac App Store version of 1Password 6? I think that's part of what's going on here, if you've moved >to the website version with version 7 and had some old data from the website version of 1Password 6 hanging around.

I don't recall where I purchased version 6. I thought it was from your website. I responded to a notification (within version 6 I believe) to update to Version 7. I don't know what version of Version 7 it would have installed.

One thing I am curious about is the fact that when it offered me to upgrade it did not ask me to pay. It completed the upgrade, but then would not accept my master password in Version 7. It just told me it was not the correct password. (...the master password which was verified as correct since it worked on iphone app, and since it allowed me to change it. The only master password and the only vault I'd ever created.... synced through your website.) Would it be refusing my master password because I had not paid? With no error message or explanation?

It's definitely something we've considered. We don't, however, have a call center and are not equipped to do instant support, as, in >both cases, it is impossible to help with an issue like this that way, since you're not going to be able to provide the information we >need that way, or follow detailed instructions on the spot. So we'll continue the conversation via email. But I think that it's fair that we >reply first to others who contacted us earlier. I know that's not a satisfying answer, but that's the one I have. :(

A bit confused about comment re: not able to follow detailed instructions on the spot... in my understandig that is exactly why you have live phone (or even chat) support. Again, you are encrypting my passwords and promising that I'll be able to access them. If that breaks down... well, then you are just holding my passwords hostage, right? I can't access any of my password protected applications, websites or data. And the only support is a casual forum or email, each with a slow turnaround time. I'm just curious how that sounds like a good situation for your customers and how that builds trust.

In order to get to the bottom of the, I'd like you to generate a diagnostic report so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

[#VJA-95515-695]

Done

Thanks.
    Lon

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@zebulon303 - Thanks! I see we've received your diagnostics report; one of us will reply to you privately via email shortly. Let's keep the conversation going that way, so as to not have the confusion of similar discussions going in email and here. Thanks!

• zebulon303
    zebulon303
    Community Member

ok. Thanks.

• :+1: :)

Ben

• IsaiahJTurner
    IsaiahJTurner
    Community Member

I just installed 1P7 via MAS and now it's saying my password is incorrect as well. It's definitely not! Was working right before the update and I was able to open it up and I opened the settings pane (didn't touch any password settings) but now it doesn't work. My only guess is it has something to do with my 1P6 installation not being from the MAS?

• IsaiahJTurner
    IsaiahJTurner
    Community Member

Restarted 1P7 and now it's working! Definitely a bug here though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear it! Make sure you don't have multiple copies of 1Password installed, as that can cause some headaches.

• freshair
    freshair
    Community Member

I had 1P6 linense on my iPhone but upgraded to 1P7 on my new Mac. Now, I'm having similar problems as others here. 1P will work with my old password on my iPhone, and I also can use Touch ID, but 1P7 is saying my password is incorrect when trying to log on to my Mac. when I did the 1P7 install on my Mac, it would not accept the same password as on my iPhone (because it had spaces at the beginning), so my password for 1P on my Mac is not the same. But according to the support messages above, that should not matter, right? My password works if I go to 1Password.com and use my password and Secret Key, but it absolutely will not work when using the app on my computer. Nothing I do will work. I even tried changing the password on my phone to match the 1P7 password that I signed up with. it worked fine on the day of the upgrade (March 23), but it will not work now. And I absolutely am using the correct password. Absolutely. HELP!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @freshair! Welcome to the forum!

when I did the 1P7 install on my Mac, it would not accept the same password as on my iPhone (because it had spaces at the beginning), so my password for 1P on my Mac is not the same.

So just to clarify: did you create a new vault on this Mac, with a different Master Password?

My password works if I go to 1Password.com and use my password and Secret Key, but it absolutely will not work when using the app on my computer.

It is possible that you created an additional vault in 1Password 7 on your Mac, and you chose a different Master Password for this vault than the one you use for your account.

If you open 1Password 7 on your Mac, what's the name of the first vault you see on the left? Is it Primary by any chance?

• freshair
    freshair
    Community Member

I followed the instructions for the 1P7 app install, but I can't open 1Password7 on my Mac, so I wouldn't be able to tell you the name of the first vault I would see. And I can't tell you if the instructions led me to install a new vault. I chose the function for an account "upgrade," so I would hope this would not have installed a "new" vault. But you likely could tell me whether this is what happens. I can tell you that I was surprised that I was asked to start a free trial when I upgraded, and I was surprised not to simply be asked for a credit card number to convert my existing license to the membership. I can also tell you that on the day I installed the app and was able to see my account via the app on my Mac (I haven't been able to get into the app on my Mac since), I seemed to have duplicates of every login. Does that mean I have two vaults -- the original "Primary" vault that shows up on my iPhone and also the "personal" vault I set up through the new 1P7 app install? If that's the case, I have two questions. 1. How do I merge the two? And 2., how do I get into the vault on my Mac (via the 1P7 app)? Again, I can only get in via my.1Password.com.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @freshair,

Thank you for the additional information.

I seemed to have duplicates of every login. Does that mean I have two vaults -- the original "Primary" vault that shows up on my iPhone and also the "personal" vault I set up through the new 1P7 app install?

Yes, I think this is what's happening: you created a 1Password Membership (the Personal vault is indeed included in a 1Password Membership), but you also kept your old standalone vault (Primary) in the app, and that's why you are seeing duplicates.

1. How do I merge the two?

Are you currently seeing a different number of items in each of the two vaults? Or are they exactly the same?

And 2., how do I get into the vault on my Mac (via the 1P7 app)?

To do this, all you need to do is add your 1Password Membership account to the app, using the same credentials you use to login on 1Password.com in a browser.

• freshair
    freshair
    Community Member

@ag_ana You wrote:
    "Are you currently seeing a different number of items in each of the two vaults? Or are they exactly the same?"
    I know you're trying to help, so I'm sorry this doesn't seem to be clear, but I am explaining that I cannot get into the app anymore to assess this. I only saw the duplicates the day I first updated to 1P7. So you're asking me to give you answers I cannot provide. What I can share is that the account on my iPhone (the Primary vault in my licensed account) has fewer items -- 86 -- than my Personal vault on 1Password.com (91). What does this tell you?

And you wrote re. merging the accounts:
    "To do this, all you need to do is add your 1Password Membership account to the app, using the same credentials you use to login on 1Password.com in a browser."
    But I cannot open the the app. Please understand, that's the problem I hope to solve. The instructions you shared for adding my account to the app has as it first step to open 1Password app. That's the core of the problem I'm trying to solve. My password will not work to do this. Also, I don't understand why the upgrade didn't present this as a step during the upgrade. It never asked me if I have an existing 1Password account. So what can I do to get 1Password7 app open? Begging for a solution.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@freshair: Thanks for clarifying. I'd thought you were trying to sort out the duplicates too, since you mentioned that. But it sounds like it's irrelevant, if you can't access any of that anyway. :blush:

To be clear, we cannot give you a "solution" that will allow you to access your data without entering the correct Master Password, which you set yourself, and which only you would know. There's also not a "step" that the app could offer you to bypass this. Your data is encrypted using the Master Password you chose. Without entering it, nothing can be done there. However, you may have just mixed up which password you used for what. Please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly.

However, if you already have access to all of your 1Password data on another device, that helps a lot.

If you can sign into your account on 1Password.com in your browser, and all of your data is there in your account, you just need to reset the app on each device and then set it up with only your account.

However, if you do not have all of your data in your account yet, you should follow this guide on the device where you have your data in order to migrate it:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• freshair
    freshair
    Community Member

@brenty This is tremendously helpful. I only mentioned the duplicates because @ag_ana asked specifically if the same information is in both accounts. I didn't intend that to distract from the original problem I posed from the beginning. I was on the verge of simply uninstalling the app (seeing as all my information still exists in the license account), so I'll follow your steps for re-setting and simply uninstalling and starting over. If you don't hear from me again, it means it worked. Here's hoping ...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@freshair: No worries! Thanks for helping us get back on track. Let me know how it goes. I think you may be all set, but we're here to help in any way we can. :chuffed:

• NKS
    NKS
    Community Member

I'm having the exact same problem. I used 1Password 6 on my Mac, also on iPhone and iPad, syncing via Dropbox. I upgraded a few days ago to 1Password 7, and while it's all fine logging in to my account on the web, on my phone and iPad, the desktop Mac software just won't recognize my master password. This is clearly a bug on your end, as obviously I know my password and can use it in these other places. Please solve.

• @NKS

Sounds more like a configuration problem than a bug. Specifically it sounds like you're using a different Master Password for your new account (which is what works online) than for your old standalone setup (which is what would be needed for the apps). If you uninstall and then reinstall 1Password for iOS on your iPhone are you able to sign into your account? If so we can go forward from there.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.