Backblaze Backup on Mac

Zaka7
Zaka7
Community Member

Afternoon all, I recently subscribed to Backblaze as an offsite cloud backup service.

Just a quick question, I have noticed a number of 1Password files, in the form of a zip or similar. I assume that these are protected by my master password, or do not contain any information that anyone can access.

I am confident Backblaze is safe and secure, but I was still surprised to see so many files.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Zaka_7

The answer to that depends on what 1Password related files you've saved. :) Any backups that 1Password makes are protected to the same level as your vault (i.e. with your Master Password). But if you've exported your data, those exports are not encrypted (at all). This would be an action you would've needed to manually take, and there would've been a warning presented during the process.

If you have questions about any specific files please feel free to list the file names and we'll try to identify them. :)

Ben

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

There is a crash report, which I assume is nothing more than what it says?

A number of Account Export zip files, which I assume are backups all file names in what looks like a date format (20191110-XXXXXX)?

and some https_my1password local storage files?

I have 100% NOT exported anything at all so I assume it is all safe and either back ups, or temp files from documents I have viewed within my vault as that is about the closest I have come to exporting anything.

Thanks

• That all sounds right, @Zaka_7. You may wish to exclude the com.agilebits.Attachments.noindex folder to avoid backing up unencrypted copies of Documents you've viewed. On my system this folder is located at /private/var/folders/98/8zcs_dbd17dc9gl9zmqcc9bw0000gn/T/com.agilebits.onepassword7/com.agilebits.Attachments.noindex.

Beyond that, I wouldn't expect any difficulties backing up the other items.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

You might want to increase security by choosing your own passphrase for Backblaze:

You have the option with Backblaze to add an additional layer of privacy via a user-selected passphrase. This passphrase will be used to encrypt your private key.

Source: https://www.backblaze.com/backup-encryption.html

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben , it looks like by default the Backblaze system excludes the /Private/ folders from it's back up so seemingly no issue what so ever here.

Thanks to you also @XIII That is actually the first thing I did once I set up my account, I did a fair amount of research before deciding on my offsite back up method, and the Private key was a must for me.

• Great! Glad they had the thought to do that by default. :) And thanks to XIII for jumping in with that suggestion. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.