1PW frozen into "read only" when trying to add extension in Chrome

PWChinook
PWChinook
Community Member

Yesterday I tried to add an extension in Chrome so that the 1password icon would appear in my upper bar. It asked for my secret key; but I own a license. Since then my 1password is frozen into 'read only'. I need to restore this. Please assist. Thank you so much.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PWChinook!

Is it possible that you downloaded the 1Password X browser extension (which is our browser extension for subscribers), instead of the traditional browser extension?

• gingerwedin
    gingerwedin
    Community Member

Hi, Ginger here. My brother posted this for me. If that is what I did, how do I reverse this? Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gingerwedin:

You can remove 1Password X from Chrome and install the regular browser extension from here ;)

• gingerwedin
    gingerwedin
    Community Member

Here is what I have (unsuccessfully) tried so far:
    In Chrome: I had added under extensions "1password 7 password manager". I also had "1password extension (desktop app required). I deleted the "1password 7 password manager" and also the "1password extension (desktop app required).
    In Safari I found the "1 password 7 password manager"; but cannot figure out how to remove it. I don't see a 'delete' button and I cannot drag it to the trash.
    So far, with what I have done, no luck getting past the 'reader' only part.
    When I clicked on your link "here" I did not see a place to remove 1Password X from Chrome. btw, my version is 7.4.1
    Please send more suggestions. Thank you

• gingerwedin
    gingerwedin
    Community Member

Here is what I get when I try and delete the 1pass from Safari . see photo

• Hey @gingerwedin

The Safari extension doesn't need to be removed, it is part of the app and part of every users install. You can add the traditional 1Password extension back to Chrome. To do so visit, our downloads page and click the link for Chrome. Here is a direct link to the relevant section - https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers

• gingerwedin
    gingerwedin
    Community Member

Dear ag_ana
    There are two options in chrome - 1. 1passwordX and 2. companion app extension. Which should I download? I don't want to download the wrong one again. thanks!

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

@gingerwedin

You would download the companion app extension.

• gingerwedin
    gingerwedin
    Community Member

Didn't fix the problem: Thank you; I downloaded the companion app extension and it is found now under windows. But when I sign in to 1password still, I get this message that I have attached. Still need help thank you for persevering; I don't know what to try next.

• gingerwedin
    gingerwedin
    Community Member

Follow-up. The companion app allowed the "lock icon" to be displayed in the menu bar. Progress! However, when I click on it; it opens up my 1pass and it says 'generate password' instead of 'reader only'. However! 2 new problems. When I click on any of my websites, they won't open. Also, I happen to know that one of my websites has a 17 digit password; now when I look at it; it is only 12 digits. Obviously something wrong here. Can't open, and wrong password. When I continue to open 1pass from my regular spot (not the icon); it still will not open. again attaching a photo to explain incorrect password plus while it says 'generate password'; nothing will open.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gingerwedin:

Also, I happen to know that one of my websites has a 17 digit password; now when I look at it; it is only 12 digits. Obviously something wrong here.

You will see 12 dots in every password field in every item, no matter how long the actual password is. If you reveal that password, you will see the correct length.

When I click on any of my websites, they won't open.

Just to make sure we are on the same page: clicking on an item will not open it in a browser. You need to click on the URL field inside an item to open a browser to that URL. Can you confirm that this is what you are doing?

• gingerwedin
    gingerwedin
    Community Member

Thank you! I clicked on the URL and it opened.
    Now I have one more question. I have to 'copy and paste' in the password; it doesn't populate automatically. I do have the extension now that you told me to download.
    What can I do to get it to populate automatically?
    And lastly; the 'keyhole icon' is no longer in my top bar; it was there yesterday.
    thanks for your great help!
    Ginger

• gingerwedin
    gingerwedin
    Community Member

Update! Even though I can open the website; one some of the websites the username will populate; but none of them will populate the password. If I right click on some of the websites that are on the left list; I see an option to "fill login in browser". If I click on this, I get the same screen that I sent earlier "welcome to 1password' where it wants me to sign up. Something seems quite wrong; can you assist some more.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

@gingerwedin

I have to 'copy and paste' in the password; it doesn't populate automatically.

Check your login, for a saved url matching the site your are filling. It's possible you may need to edit the url to better reflect the login page. Can you provide a site that we can check for you?

I do have the extension now that you told me to download. What can I do to get it to populate automatically?

Check the above setting, it sounds like a misconfiguration.

And lastly; the 'keyhole icon' is no longer in my top bar; it was there yesterday.

It sounds as if you don't have 1Password mini set to show. Please check this setting. You can also try a restart of the computer.

• gingerwedin
    gingerwedin
    Community Member

I am able to sign in to 1password; but that is all, as it is in 'reader mode'. I own a license for 1password. I have the 1Password app on my iphone, and it works on that device, but not on my computer. Should I delete the 1password from my computer and reinstall it? If so, I need directions to know how to do this. I am not sure where my backup is for 1password.
    I have version 7.4.4 1password; my computer is 10.15.2
    I started this question but didn't get the answer on how to get out of 'reader only' mode. Here is the link to the earlier question;
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/546770#Comment_546770
    Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Yesterday my 1password went into the "reader only" mode as I was adding an extension

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@gingerwedin:

If you open 1Password on your Mac, select 1Password in the menu bar, do you see a License... entry in that menu?

If you have a license, and your app is still read-only, I wonder if you perhaps downloaded 1Password from the Mac App Store, which only supports 1Password Memberships (which are paid with a subscription, not with a license). If the License entry is missing in the 1Password menu, it would mean that you indeed downloaded 1Password from the Mac App Store.

• PWChinook
    PWChinook
    Community Member

Hi. I’m James (Ginger’s brother) who introduced her to 1PW several years ago. Here’s what happened: Ginger had 1PW working fine using her Safari browser since day-one (moving through several 1PW upgrades). The Safari extension was working; all was good. Then she needed to use Chrome for a particular application and tried to add the 1PW extension to Chrome. That’s when everything stopped working. 1PW wouldn’t work with Chrome and it stopped working with Safari.

I’m not sure where her initial 1PW download came from but that shouldn’t be relevant since it had been working.

Please consider her current problem in this context and suggest what she should try. Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@PWChinook:

I’m not sure where her initial 1PW download came from but that shouldn’t be relevant since it had been working.

Please consider her current problem in this context and suggest what she should try. Thanks

It is possible that the read-only problem that she is experiencing is indeed connected to where she downloaded the app from. Therefore, it would help us very much if you or she could answer my question in my previous post. Thank you!

• gingerwedin
    gingerwedin
    Community Member

hi
    i apologize for not answering your question; I have a 73 years old brain with a TBI from many concussions, if that is any excuse! As far as my original download; my brother recommended 1password to me years ago and I downloaded it from the website. At that time the only option was a license, and that is what I purchased. With every upgrade that 1password has gone through over the years, I have always stayed with the license. In all these years (6 or more I'm thinking), I have never had this problem of 'reader only' show up.

• gingerwedin
    gingerwedin
    Community Member

To summarize best I can:

Bought 1PW years ago after being introduced to it by my brother, James

This was way before subscriptions were offered; everyone had licenses

Almost certainly bought first version directly from 1PW but can’t be absolutely certain.

Paid for at least one major upgrade but did so with a license.

Thanks for helping!

This discussion has been closed.