Can't enable 1Password extension

Topic
Topic
Community Member

Not sure whether this is a Safari or 1Password problem!

In the last week or so I found embedded tweets and some images in Safari would not display and was advised to disable all extensions, see if the problem disappeared then enable extensions one by one to see which was causing the problem.

1. Unchecked all extensions in Safari preferences
  2. Problem with embedded tweets etc. disappeared.
  3. Returned to Safari preferences but no luck with re-enabling any extensions as although they all appear and have a checkbox next to them, the box cannot be ticked.
  4. After trying several times without luck, re-installed Catalina
  5. Same problem, all extensions appear but cannot be ticked to enable
  6. Deleted 1Password as per instructions (i.e. closed Safari, completely closed 1Password, moved it to Trash, emptied Trash, did not use CleanMyMaxX, downloaded and re-installed 1Password).
  7. 1Password opens normally, I'm prompted to enable the extension but following the prompt to Safari preferences shows the extension is there but cannot ben ticked to enable.
  8. I have exactly the same problem with DuckDuckGo and Adblock extensions.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Topic!

Same problem, all extensions appear but cannot be ticked to enable

If the same exact issue happens with every other extension too, I think this is a Safari or macOS problem. Have you already contacted Apple for help? Perhaps they will be able to give you some suggestions.

• Topic
    Topic
    Community Member

Appreciate the quick response @ag_ana but I fear you're probably correct...........just hoped someone else had come across the problem and could advise.

Thanks anyway.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @Topic. Please let us know what you find out about this, it might help other users who have the same issue.

• Topic
    Topic
    Community Member

I don't know how much help this will be to other users @ag_ana as I think I've come up with a workaround rather than a solution!

Anyway, anyone experiencing a similar problem might first like to look at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251107744, which is worth a read.

Otherwise, try this:

1) Startup in SAFE MODE and try enabling any unchecked Safari extensions. If that does not work then..........
    2) Go to System Preferences>Users & Groups>Login Items and make a note/take a screenshot before removing all the login items
    3) Restart in SAFE MODE and again try enabling the unchecked Safari extensions. If that works.......
    4) Restart normally, go to System Preferences>Users & Groups>Login Items and add everything removed in 2. above

This worked for me but I honestly don't know why. All my login items are standard, "legitimate" software, all up to date and none of which have ever been a problem before.

Hope that helps someone!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing these instructions @Topic! It honestly sounds like something is causing interference on your system, either one of the extensions, or some other software on your device. I am glad to hear that safe mode helped you get through this though :+1:

This discussion has been closed.