Add 1Password to the Microsoft Store? [1Password X is available in Microsoft Edge Add-ons]

prime
prime
Community Member
edited February 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

So I got a new job (yay!) and I asked to download 1Password X to Firefox, and they said no. They said If 1Password was in the Microsoft Store, I could :(

Will this ever happen?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @prime,

I do not have anything to share about the full 1Password app in the Microsoft Store at this point, but I have a possible workaround for you.

Microsoft released a new version of Edge recently and this new Edge is based on Chromium. Eventually, Microsoft will migrate all customers to the new version of Microsoft Edge, but you can download and install it right now (it will replace the current version of Edge on your computer).

We have 1Password X available in the Microsoft Edge Add-ons store, so you can download and install it right now:

1Password X – Password Manager

Are you able to install the new Edge and 1Password X from the official Edge Add-ons store on your work computer? Please let us know. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Greg the new Edge isn’t bad, might be an idea. I’ll see if I can get them to install the new Edge.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Please let us know how it goes. Fingers crossed!

++
    Greg

• djlajoie
    djlajoie
    Community Member

Is there going to be an extension specifically written for the new Microsoft Edge Chromium and not the one on the Google store?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@djlajoie:

Since Edge is based on Chromium, and therefore runs the extension already, with all of its features, can you please let us know why you would like to have an extension written specifically for Edge?

• djlajoie
    djlajoie
    Community Member

I like to install the native extension, plug-ins etc... not one written for another application. I understand what you are saying but I think you would agree that it was written for Google not Edge even thought the engine is the same. Is one going to be posted on the Microsoft store that is specifically written/signed for Microsoft Edge Chromium or will it always be that you need to go to the Google store for the plug-in.

• djlajoie
    djlajoie
    Community Member

I installed the extension and noticed the icon is grayed out. I'm running Windows in Dark mode?
    Also is there a way for it not to check "keep me signed in"?
    Thank you for your support!

• MikeT
    edited February 2020

Hi @djlajoie,

I installed the extension and noticed the icon is grayed out.

Do you have the main 1Password for Windows desktop program installed? It sounds like you've installed the 1Password app companion extension for your browser, which requires the main program to be installed. You can find it here: https://1Password.com/downloads/

More details here: https://support.1password.com/get-the-apps/

Also is there a way for it not to check "keep me signed in"?

You can turn off the auto-lock setting in 1Password's security settings.

If you are using 1Password X, you can only keep it unlocked until the browser is closed even if auto-lock is turned off.

I like to install the native extension, plug-ins etc... not one written for another application. I understand what you are saying but I think you would agree that it was written for Google not Edge even thought the engine is the same.

It is not written for Chrome. These are the exact same code we run in all browsers except Safari because only Safari requires a native plugin. Most modern web browsers excluding Safari support the WebExtension APIs, which can be reused in most browsers that support the said APIs including Edge, Chrome, Brave, Vivendi, Opera, and even Firefox.

Microsoft is simply asking developers to host another copy of the same extension in their Microsoft Store, there is no difference in the code between 1Password extension hosted in their Store and in Google Web Store.

Is one going to be posted on the Microsoft store that is specifically written/signed for Microsoft Edge Chromium or will it always be that you need to go to the Google store for the plug-in.

1Password X is already available in Microsoft Edge Store, which is the same copy we host in other "extension stores".

There is no plan to build anything specific for Edge-Chromium only. Everything we build will be made available for all browsers.

• djlajoie
    djlajoie
    Community Member

I got it all working perfectly thank you for the knowledge!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of MikeT, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Still haven’t asked IT for this. They talked how they want all to use a password manager in the coming months.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@prime: Please keep us posted. If your IT department has any questions about 1Password (we have an enterprise solution), please let us know and we will be happy to answer all of them. :) Thank you!

++
    Greg

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@greg I’ll try and put a bug in their ear. I’m the new guy, so I don’t want to step on any toes.

• Understandable for sure, @prime. I'm still not terribly fond of stepping on toes and I can't even vaguely argue I'm new here anymore. :lol: Hopefully, they'll just be happy for the suggestion and you'll get some brownie points for being ahead of the game already using a password manager. :wink: Of course, anything we can do to help, you need only ask as always. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.