Anomalies with iOS syncing just the Software Licenses section

Lifeisabeach
Lifeisabeach
Community Member

I'm having a really odd issue with syncing 1Password between my Macs and iOS. All the categories except Software Licenses are fine. There are actually a couple problems with it. The first, which has been a long-time one, is that the app icons for some of the entries don't show up in 1P on iOS even though they are present in 1P on my Macs. I instead get the generic stylized "A" app icon. It's trivial so I haven't looked into it, but it is odd.

The more important problem at hand right now came about when I couldn't get everything syncing properly (likely something I did when temporarily recovering an old backup so no worries there) so I disabled syncing across the board, then re-enabled it (iCloud) and confirmed that everything was back in sync. Everything is indeed back in sync now, except the Software Licenses category. I had been updating some of the entries, mainly just adding registration for, say version 3 of an app to the entry for version 4 of the same app so that I wouldn't have it listed twice. Those changes are syncing, but despite removing the older app version entry, it remains present in 1P on iOS. My Macs all have the complete changes synced, but iOS for some bizarre reason continues to show the older "version 3" app entry and the "version 4" app entry with the updated details.

On top of the above, in the course of trying to re-sync these, one of these Software License entries that I manually merged as above now looks like it is blank when viewed in 1P on iOS, while on macOS, all the details are present. Again, I have confirmed syncing is on, and working normally otherwise across all devices. It's JUST this category for some reason.

Running current versions of 1Password: 7.4.2 on macOS 10.15.3 and 7.4.4 on iOS 13.3.1.

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• The first, which has been a long-time one, is that the app icons for some of the entries don't show up in 1P on iOS even though they are present in 1P on my Macs. I instead get the generic stylized "A" app icon. It's trivial so I haven't looked into it, but it is odd.

This is normal. On your Mac 1Password looks in the /Applications folder for an app with the same name as the item and if there is one it'll display that app's icon on your item. This icon isn't saved in 1Password or synced though, and 1Password for iOS cannot do that.

On top of the above, in the course of trying to re-sync these, one of these Software License entries that I manually merged as above now looks like it is blank when viewed in 1P on iOS, while on macOS, all the details are present. Again, I have confirmed syncing is on, and working normally otherwise across all devices. It's JUST this category for some reason.

I would suggest following the steps in this guide, under "Step 5: Reset iCloud data in 1Password"

https://support.1password.com/icloud-troubleshooting/#step-5-reset-icloud-data-in-1password

Please let us know how that turns out. If that does not resolve the problem the best I could suggest would be an alternative sync method:

Sync your 1Password data

I hope that helps. Thanks!

Ben

• Lifeisabeach
    Lifeisabeach
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Well at some point since I posted this, the "version 3" entries that refused to go away on iOS.... went away finally. The one entry that looks blank on my iPhone but is otherwise filled in when viewed everywhere else still appears that way. I decided to fix while posting this by simply duplicating the entry and deleting the old.

The icon thing.... sorry, but some of the Mac apps have icons showing in 1P in iOS, some don't. And when I duplicated the BetterZip entry in particular? As you see in my screen caps from before, iOS didn't have an icon for it. The duplicated entry now does have an icon showing in iOS, just from duplicating the entry using 1P's own "duplicate" command.

• Well at some point since I posted this, the "version 3" entries that refused to go away on iOS.... went away finally. The one entry that looks blank on my iPhone but is otherwise filled in when viewed everywhere else still appears that way. I decided to fix while posting this by simply duplicating the entry and deleting the old.

I'm glad to hear you were able to find a solution. :)

The icon thing.... sorry, but some of the Mac apps have icons showing in 1P in iOS, some don't. And when I duplicated the BetterZip entry in particular? As you see in my screen caps from before, iOS didn't have an icon for it. The duplicated entry now does have an icon showing in iOS, just from duplicating the entry using 1P's own "duplicate" command.

I don't understand why duplicating the item would have had any effect here, but I'll check with our development team to see if perhaps there is any way in which this behavior can be improved.

Thanks!

Ben

• Lifeisabeach
    Lifeisabeach
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Agreed... it does seems odd to me also and inconsistent. Maybe it's a relatively recent implementation? I do have a couple entries in there that have icons because I manually added PNG graphics to them, such as that Blizzard Authenticator you see in the screen cap from my last post. That actually isn't even a Mac app, but an iOS app. I manually created the entry to store my credentials for the authenticator app in case the app got deleted off my iPhone. I found a graphic on the internet and simply pasted it in. But there are only a couple of entries like that and BetterZip in particular is not one of those.

EDIT: although... ControllerMate that you see there has an icon and that entry was made back in 2015, edited date/time shows as same as creation date/time so I didn't go back and add a PNG graphic manually.

• Thanks for the additional details @Lifeisabeach. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.