Feature Request - Change how password are added in Chrome web browser plugin

After installing 1password I set out to make all of my passwords stronger and this involved logging into many sites and resetting the password but I made a lot of mistakes early on and maybe recounting what happened will help you modify some of the dialogs in such a way as to prevent other new users from making the same mistake.

Here is the process I originally used:

1. Login to web site, go to account, change password
2. Generate new password with plugin and select "Fill"
3. Prompt would ask if I want to add the login - I accept and create new or replace existing.
4. Repeat for a different web site.

Upon the next login to the same site I noticed that the login dialog was not properly being filled in when I did CTRL + \
and discovered this was because the information saved was specific to the change password page for the site and not the login.

I updated my process to be.

1. Login to web site, go to account, change password
2. Generate new password with plugin and copy password to clipboard
3. Manually fill new password and confirm new password boxes, change password
4. Logout
5. Login again by manually typing username and pasting password from clipboard.
6. Prompt would ask if I want to add the login - I accept and create new or replace existing.
7. Repeat for a different web site.

This results in a proper login saved for the web site.

Perhaps, when "Fill" is selected and after the form is submitted the user could be prompted to logout and log back in and only after this happens does the prompt to save the login appear.

Just a thought.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2011
    Mark, the key thing to remember is that 1Password must work with millions of web sites designed by hundreds of thousands of marketing people and coded by tens thousands of developers in hundreds of different ways. The only reasonable strategy is to provide a way to generate a strong password and remind the user that changing a password involves two steps: telling the web site your new password and telling 1Password your new password. 1Password associates login credentials with specific URLs, so the user has to get to the correct URL (the login page) to get 1Password to notice that the Login needs to be updated. (As an alternative, you could edit the existing Login and paste in the new password.)

The article How do I use a generated password? in the FAQ section of the user's guide explains what we think are the simplest steps in 1Password for Windows.

Your process works well, too, of course.
This discussion has been closed.