Choose which browser each login opens in

Select a different browser for each login
Hi,

Just my two cents of suggestion about a problem I sometimes run into. I basically use Safari as my default browser, but for some sites, I'd rather use Firefox, (for example). Yet, since Safari is my default browser, whenever I try to access to a "firefoxed site" from 1Password, I get redirected to the Safari version. It would be nice, (at least for me, but am I alone?) if we could select or save as an option the browser of choice for some of our entries in the logins section of 1password so that the optional browser would get launched out of 1password and go. May be for version 3.X ?

Thanks for a great program

Sakabara

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2010
    Try Choosy for Mac http://www.choosyosx.com/

Basically it gets set as your default browser and when ever you click a link up pops a display and you have to choose a browser, it has a rules section where it will always open certain site with certain browsers.

This even works if you click the links within 1P app which auto log you in.

Obviously go and fill wouldn't work with it but thats a different story.

Edit : I stand corrected if you use go and fill from the dock icon it does indeed work.. Hey just found a new thing :)
  • Anyone know how to ensure you login opens in a specific browser? I'm trying to save a login in Firefox, but when I open the login it defaults to Safari? Anyone? Thanks.
  • teedoff087
    teedoff087
    Community Member
    I don't think you can specify a different browser for each login. Just make sure you have the browser you want to use set as your default.
  • Thanks for the feedback. If true, that's too bad. I usually use Safari on my Mac, but for work, I need to use Firefox for the database. I guess I'll just go back to logging in the old way. :rolleyes:
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 2010
    Choosy for Mac, give it a look.
  • amjbrown
    amjbrown
    Community Member
    1Password takes its direction from the default browser on the machine. That can be changed in Safari; Preferences; General.

If you have the database synced via Dropbox, Safari default at home, Firefox at work, then the two 1Password sessions will open up the different default browsers.

You can even change the default browser mid session - I just did to check I was telling you the truth!
  • YourGuruBuddy
    edited March 2011
    I don't seem to find a way to assign a certain website to be opened and logged into by a certain browser. Have I missed something or does this function not exist? I use Safari most of the time but I have been experiencing problems lately logging into my cPanel with Safari. Firefox works just fine but when I use 1Password to sign in, it automatically opens in Safari. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2010
    Welcome to the forums, Lokoman and YourGuruBuddy!

I have merged your posts with the appropriate thread. Please see above and let me know if you have any additional questions. :-)
  • fbrun
    fbrun
    Community Member
    I'd like to be able to open certain sites using a specific browser. I understand that I would need to open from "Go & Fill Login" or maybe even from within 1password. Can I already do that?
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited January 2011
    fbrun wrote:

I'd like to be able to open certain sites using a specific browser. I understand that I would need to open from "Go & Fill Login" or maybe even from within 1password. Can I already do that?

You can with several considerations

1) you must use go and fill from the dock icon of 1P and **NOT FROM A RUNNING BROWSER**
    2) you must install an app like choosy for Mac, It sets itself as your default browser and intercept all url requests Make sure to set it up properly because it does work really well :)
    3)There is a rule section in choosy so certain site always open in a particular browser etc.

I use choosy every day, Let me know if you run into any snags setting it up. Ill be glad to give any tips etc, But its really strait forward. I actually only have 2 rules set up 1 for the dropbox site to use FF as it provides features Safari doesn't and 1 to always open links from twitter the app in Safari. The rest I just choose from the chooser window.

www.choosyosx.com
  • Ditto what Tommy said. I use Choosy for this as well. It allows flexibility even beyond 1Password logins.
  • george_b
    george_b
    Community Member
    Forgive me if this feature exists.
    I am on 3.5.4.BETA-5 using OS X 10.6.6 on a MacBook Pro 17 (Mid 2009)

I love the feature where I can look at my bookshelf of VAULT Logins and just "double click" on one to login.

Safari (my default browser) opens right up and almost always does the right thing -- log me all the way into the site.

Problem: I have a web site I go to which does not work well with Safari. I use Firefox for this site.

Suggestion: For a given VAULT Logins list item, let me specify the browser to use. The default would, of course.. be "the current default browser", but a drop down of known browsers would appear and let me "lock in" to, say Firefox 3.6.

Here is an example of the web site.
    (I am being sneaky here.. I don't work for honeywell..)

https://honeywell.ingplans.com/eportal/welcome.do
    Note how you (again on Mac OS X 10.6.6 and Safari 5.0.3) can't enter a SSN if you select SSN as the ID type without kajiggling the drop down a few times.
    Now that I think of it.. having to select the ID type probably is not within the perview of 1Password in any case so this won't work in Firefox either..
    Still.. a nice feature suggestion.

Thanks
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, George. I have merged your post with the appropriate thread. Please see above and let me know if you have any additional questions. :-)
  • waxwing1
    waxwing1
    Community Member
    Chrome is my preferred browser but for some of my financial sites, I need to use Firefox or Safari. It would be great if I could indicate this in the 1Password record for that site so it would launch the appropriate browser. Is this possible now? If not, how do I add it to a feature request list?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2011
    Hey waxwing1! I merged your post. Please see above. :-)

Cheers!
  • I hope this has not been requested before in another area of the forum, or worse still actually exists in the product or future feature list already. But I have searched and can not find it mentioned.

I recently purchased 1Password for both Mac and Windows and use the solution to login in to accounts on both platforms.

I use multiple browsers on each system. This is partly out of choice and partly out of necessity as some applications or services complain if I visit the site and use and unsupported browser. Especially true with Cloud based services run by companies like Apple, Google and Microsoft, vested interests for users to use their own brand of browser ensures pop up warnings stating that a specific browser is not supported or up-to-date.

I generally use Safari on my Mac and Firefox on my PC but every now and then it would be nice to log in via Chrome or IE.

Rather than specifically opening these different browsers and having them consume system resources, it would be really handy if in the settings section of 1password for the particular login to have a dropdown selection box that would allow users to select a different browser to use than the default browser (currently set in general settings)for that specific account/login.
  • I appreciate Choosy as mentioned above might be a work around for this request but could 1password have this browser choosing functionality within their program as it reduces the clicks for us lazy people. :rolleyes:
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the feedback, Mike! :-)

Whether or not we add the functionality in to 1Password in the future, I don't think that Choosy requires any more clicks than [a completely hypothetical implementation in] 1Password. I mean, we can imagine that 1Password might read your mind and click itself for you, but you can already set Choosy to open links in different browsers based on their URL. I don't foresee that anything we might add to 1Password would be more fully featured or chock full of zero-click automation than Choosy. ;-)

It's still on our radar, though.
  • VdkaShaker
    VdkaShaker
    Community Member
    @khad - Ok Khad, I read the posts so now I'll add a few layers of complexity to this. Its not as easy as specifying a browser to use for a URL/Site; there are OS and platform questions to consider too. Assuming this functionality even belongs in 1Password you don't support Safari on Windows yet, so that can't be the default setting for us cross-platform guys.

Here's a scenario (mine): I use a Windows PC most of the day while at work, then Mac at home. I've got some work related sites that only work in IE (on Windows), the rest usually work in Firefox (my preferred and default browser in Windows). At Home most sites work in Safari (Mac), but if I use a site that requires Flash I need Chrome. If I were to set a URL/site in 1Password to a specific browser on Windows, I don't use that browser on my Mac so what would happen? (Let's not even mention the question of mobile platforms and browsers....OK, I mentioned it.) Choosy may help on the Mac, but I haven't seen a version or similar solution for Windows.

I know, I'm insane for using so many browsers, right? It wasn't until I started writing this post that I realized I had settled on completely different browsers at home. Best (or required) tool for the job sometimes. Also, work doesn't give you the choices you have at home (Hell, its Windows XP. I'm lucky to have a new version of Firefox). Bottom line: we're in a multi-browser world.

I'm using XMarks bookmark groups to manage which bookmarks show up in which browsers, which helps a little (keeps my work IE bookmarks out of Firefox, and off my home computers for instance), and maybe I just need to stay browser focused, rather than 1Password focused?

Anyway, this question of specifying a browser for certain URLs came up very quickly as I ramped up 1Password. Its a tricky problem, but you guys seem smart and creative! :) Hope you'll keep it up on the list of things to tackle.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    MikeQuinn wrote:

I appreciate Choosy as mentioned above might be a work around for this request but could 1password have this browser choosing functionality within their program as it reduces the clicks for us lazy people. rolleyes.gif

Choosy has rules so if you try to open a url like www.Dropbox.com - it could always default to Safari , I have http://forum.agilebits.com one in safari by a rule, then https://onlinebanking.tdbank.com open in Chrome

ps. choosy now has an extension so if you open the link in safari you can click the extension and send it to the other browser of choice.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited November 2011
    VdkaShaker wrote:
    Choosy may help on the Mac, but I haven't seen a version or similar solution for Windows.

http://browserchooser.codeplex.com/

The site mentions Win Vista and Win 7 but the screen shots also show it running on XP so....?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2011
    …you don't support Safari on Windows…

Sure we do. :)

Safari for Windows is supported (in the 1Password for Windows beta). For assistance:

http://forum.agilebi...ows-and-safari/

Choosy may help on the Mac, but I haven't seen a version or similar solution for Windows.

This may be a feature request best suited for 1Password for Windows then.

I know, I'm insane for using so many browsers, right?

Haha! Not at all. I'm pretty sure all of us at AgileBits do as well ;)

On the Mac, Choosy is the solution, so there really isn't as pressing of a need to build this into 1Password. On Windows it may be a different story, but I haven't tried the application Tommy suggested. If it doesn't do the trick, you should make the suggestion in the Windows forum to which I linked above.

Anyway, this question of specifying a browser for certain URLs came up very quickly as I ramped up 1Password. Its a tricky problem, but you guys seem smart and creative! :) Hope you'll keep it up on the list of things to tackle.

Thank you for the kind words! We will certainly take your suggestion under advisement. We never say "never". :D
This discussion has been closed.