App suggests to store 2FA, but there is none supported (comdirect - German bank)

Options
mattti
mattti
Community Member
edited February 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi

the 1Password App suggests to me for my German bank comdirect to store 2FA and asks to scan the QR code, however, the 2FA done by comdirect is so-called photoTAN which does not work with regular QR codes.
photoTAN codes look like this:

Are these supported in any way or is 1Password suggesting to add 2FA for comdirect by mistake?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @mattti ,
    1Password finds which websites support 2FA, but it does not know what kind of 2FA it is in practice. Much like this website: https://twofactorauth.org/

Looking for your bank on this website says it does support a software token for 2FA which initially indicates that it will be possible to save it in 2FA apps such as Google Authenticator, Authy or 1Password, but if the website uses its own special app for 2FA and does not allow 3rd party apps, then it is probably not possible to use 1Password as an authenticator for it.

Do you happen to see a "secret" anywhere below that image that you need to scan? Some manual way to add it to the app? If there is some sort of a secret string, you can try and add it manually to 1Password and see if it works as 2FA: https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/#to-save-your-qr-code-on-1password-com

• mattti
    mattti
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Yaron ,

Thanks for your reply, I understand.
    I found a secret that generates the image, but that does not work in 1Password. I guess the method they use is not supported.

Thanks!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the update, @mattti .
    It does sound like they only support 2FA via their own internal apps/services. Well, live and learn :)

Whenever you see a website that tells you to download Google Authenticator or Authy or any other authenticator app, know you can use 1Password there as well.

This discussion has been closed.