Can I use 1P in Safari on my iPad if I only have the 1P licensed version?

VT1P
VT1P
Community Member

I have the licensed version of 1P 7. I have loaded and synced the 1P Apple Store app on my iPad. I can use the 1P browser to open and sign-in to Google, but then I don't have access to all of my Safari bookmarks. I can open Google in Safari on my iPad - then I can use my bookmarks, but I can't figure out how to use 1P to sign-in to Gmail or Agilebits, etc. Am I missing something, or would I have to get a 1P subscription account to use 1P in Safari on my iPad?

1Password Version: Current
Extension Version: 7.4.4
OS Version: iOS 13.3.1
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Hi @VT1P

Thanks for the question. There isn't any restriction on using Safari with 1Password for iOS as far as licensed vs membership is concerned. There are a couple of different ways you can access your 1Password data in Safari on iOS:

1. Autofill: Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad
    2. The 1Password extension: Use the 1Password extension to fill in Safari and apps on your iPhone and iPad

I hope that helps!

Ben

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member

Thanks Ben, but I am still not clear on this.

When I go to your 1. Autofill recommendation it says "Before you can use 1Password to fill and save your information, you’ll need to set up 1Password on your device." That link goes to a page that says "Before you set up the 1Password apps, you’ll need to sign up for an account." That link goes to a page that says "You can sign up for 1Password on 1Password.com" and then it shows how to set up a subscription account.

When I go to your 2. 1Password extension recommendation it says "Before you can use the 1Password extension, you’ll need to set up 1Password on your device. " That is the same direction, and it offers the same link, as in 1. Autofill, which takes me to the same page that says I need to sign up for an account.

Neither of your recommendations seems to let me start with the 1P app I downloaded from the Apple Store. I must still be missing something.

• @VT1P

If you launch the 1Password for iOS app do you see your data, or do you see the welcome screen? If you see the welcome screen then yes, you need to set up the app before you can use it to fill in Safari. From the welcome screen select the appropriate sync option in order to sync with your computer.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

OK, I've sort of got it working.

When I open the 1P app on my iPad I do see all of my password data.

If I follow your recommendation 1. Autofill it says "On the Home screen, tap Settings. Tap Passwords & Accounts > AutoFill Passwords" However, when I tap Settings I do not see "Passwords & Accounts". All I see is "1Password Accounts", and when I tap it I see an Accounts window that asks me to set up a subscription account. So that seems to be a dead end.

If I follow your recommendation 2. Password Extension, I can do the various steps to turn on 1Password in the Safari Edit Actions section, and I can move 1Password to Favorites, but then if I want to use 1Password to sign-in to Gmail or Agilebits, etc., I go to Favorites, poke 1Password, and a small box opens up that lets me sign-in to my 1Password app, where I can then choose the correct login item. Is that the best way to do it? The instructions say "From now on, you’ll be able to fill passwords and more, without even opening the 1Password app", but I can not get that to happen.

It also says your recommendation 1. Autofill is the easiest way to use 1Password in iOS, but as I noted above, I seem to hit a dead end when I try that approach.

• rudy
    edited February 2020

@VT1P,

If I follow your recommendation 1. Autofill it says "On the Home screen, tap Settings. Tap Passwords & Accounts > AutoFill Passwords" However, when I tap Settings I do not see "Passwords & Accounts". All I see is "1Password Accounts", and when I tap it I see an Accounts window that asks me to set up a subscription account. So that seems to be a dead end.

These instructions are relative to the home screen for your device, not the 1Password application itself. You want to go to Settings.app -> Passwords & Accounts -> AutoFill Passwords.

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member

OK, I went to my iPad settings, Passwords & Accounts. AutoFill Passwords was already turned on and 1Password was already selected. Perhaps that was accomplished by my other steps in your recommendation 2. when I moved 1Password to Favorites.

However, when I open Safari on my iPad (not in the 1P app browser) and try to sign-in to Gmail or Agilebits, etc., I do not see any quick way to use 1Password. I still have to tap the little box with the up arrow (Sharing box? Actions box?), then tap 1Password in Favorites, and then open the 1Password app. Is that the quickest way to do it? Or am I still missing something?

Thank you for all of your clarifying comments!

• @VT1P,

In Safari, when you tap into the login field for gmail, for example, you should see a row added to the top of the keyboard that has your email address and says "1Password" just under it, or an entry that says "Passwords…". Both of those would be mechanisms for filling your login information from 1Password into the Gmail login field. It should look something like the image on: https://support.1password.com/ios-autofill/#fill-and-save-passwords

• VT1P
    VT1P
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Yes! Got it.

For my Gmail sign-in I have to tap as though I am getting ready to type a password, then a 1P Key icon appears on the top right of my iPad keyboard. When I poke the Key icon it offers me a selection of login items just like my MacOS 1P extension.

For some (all?) of my other sign-ins the sign-in page opens with a cursor in the sign-in box and there is already a message at the bottom of my screen that asks if I want to use 1Password.

Thanks.

• That sounds right, @VT1P. Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it is working now. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.