Bug in 7.4.2?

romad
romad
Community Member

OK, it looks like I made a mistake updating from 7.4 to 7.4.2 as I can no longer click on the 1Pwd icon in either the MacOS Menu Bar or in the browser to enter passwords; I have to launch the application, find the password, and then manually enter the data. Is there a bug? Is there a way to go back to version 7.4.0?

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: 7.4.5.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @romad!

I can no longer click on the 1Pwd icon in either the MacOS Menu Bar or in the browser to enter passwords

What happens when you click on the 1Password icon exactly?

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Nothing at all.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@romad:

Just to make sure that we are not missing anything: do you see the same thing even after rebooting your Mac?

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Yep. I shutdown the Mac and when I booted it up there wasn't a change. BTW, the Firefox browser extension automatic update option is still set to"Default"; should I try toggling it to "No", the shutdown & restart Firefox, then click on the browser extension install item under 1Password? I didn't before because the problem was in BOTH browser & OS icons.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Update: If I click on the desktop to get into the Finder, then click on the OS Menu Bar 1Pwd icon, it works, so it looks like the problem is with 7.4.2 refusing to play nice with Firefox.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Update Part Deux: I just did a reinstall of the extension and it is working again. Looks like there is a bug in 7.4.2 since it didn't see the extension was already installed in Firefox. I guessing the reason the Mac OS Menu Bar icon didn't work is because it is NOT a direct link to 1Password, but acts as an alias to the icon in the web browsers when they are the active window.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@romad:

This did not happen to me in my Firefox browser when I updated to 7.4.2, so this does not sound like a bug. However, we will keep an eye out in case we see similar reports from other folks.

In the meantime, thank you for the update, and I am glad to hear that things are working properly again for you :)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Afterwards I went to Safari and it worked fine without a re-install of the browser extension. BTW, I'm using the ESR channel Firefox so if you are targeting the browser extension to only work with the most recent standard channel versions of Firefox, that may have been the reason since the ESR channel version is about 4 - 5 BEHIND the standard release channel.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

@keen
    Well, I've been using it for years without those problems you seem to have had. Unfortunately there isn't much choice out there anymore as your Mac choice are either Safari or Chrome. I've never liked Safari from when it was released 17 years ago and the only ones who use Chrome are those who don't care that it was designed to facilitate Google tracking their every move on the Internet and monetizing it. I used Netscape and iCab until Firefox came about. While I've looked at others like OmniWeb, Opera, Vivaldi, and most recently Brave, I've always come back to Firefox with Safari as a back-up.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@macfanpl:

Thank you for the heads up! Similar to romad, I have also never seen this happen on my Mac. It is not my main browser though, but despite this, I have no choice but to keep it installed and use it for testing :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@macfanpl:

My employer does not force us to use anything. Like I said, if you work in customer support, you must be able to test all configurations to help your customers, no matter what your personal preferences. Specifically, for an app that offers a browser extension, you have no choice but keep all browsers installed for testing, in order to help our customers properly, no matter what browser you actually choose as your main one.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@macfanpl:

:+1: :)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

@ag_ana

How many browsers do you have installed and could you list them? Also, I'm curious if you test the Firefox browser extension in both the ESR and Standard Release versions.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

Here is the list for myself, based solely upon my specific areas of assistance within the company. I also run every beta on macOS. I've always been the one to be on the bleeding edge, and that includes the app working with my personal data. I am sure many other folks use the standard release versions. My primary usage is 50/50 with Safari/Chrome variants.

I am sure others based upon their area of speciality, use other combinations.

Safari - Bundled extension
    Safari Technology Preview
    Firefox - 1Password X beta - Troubleshooting - only used in researching/troubleshooting a customer issue.
    Chrome - 1Password X beta ( and its variants)

• Edge - 1Password X - standard
    • Brave - 1Password X - beta
    • Vivaldi - 1Password X - beta
    • Opera - 1Password X - beta
  • romad
    romad
    Community Member

Well, clicking the icon(s) in Firefox has stopped working again but still work in a Finder window and with other browsers. Never had a problem with 7.4.0 so I'll probably go back to it.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

@willweaver

I have the same problem but only with Firefox. I reinstalled the browser extension but that only worked for a few days. I'm going to dump 1Pwd7.4.2 and go back to 7.4.0 which "just worked".

• This discussion was created from comments split from: Unlock doesn't work after updating to 7.4.2.
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@romad:

If you want you can send us a diagnostics report from your Mac so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you. You can email it to us at support+forum@agilebits.com if you change your mind about installing an older version of the app.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

@ag_ana,
    OK, if/when it happens again I'll try running the report. It worked for 6 days the first time I re-installed the browser extension, so I'll see how long this re-install lasts. As a work around to going back to 7.4 if/when the bug reappears, I can just do a Firefox extension re-install every morning after booting up my iMac.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@romad:

Sounds good! Keep us posted :+1:

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

It broke again on Sunday 16 Feb. I'm running the troubleshooting utility now and will send it when it finishes.

Edit 1: I just tried to attach the file but the file attaching feature will only let me attach images. I'll email it to support at agilebits dot com

Edit 2: File sent. I'll now re-install the Firefox browser extension.

Edit 3: In addition to re-installing the browser extension, I changed the extension's "Allow automatic updates" setting from "Default" to "On" as my question about this setting was never answered. It may or may not help but what the heck.

• @romad

I'll email it to support at agilebits dot com

Please do not attach reports to the forums. Email is perfect. :)

Most folks use support@1password.com though that address will work.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

ag_tommy, I actually used the address ag_ana listed in her post of 15 Feb 20 above: "You can email it to us at support+forum@agilebits.com..."

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@romad:

Both are fine ;) You should have received your support ID already, can you please post it here so we can locate your message and link it to this forum discussion?

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Here is the support ID: [#KCI-58285-523]

I even included a link to this topic in my email and specifically mentioned you. BTW, the extension still worked today after yesterday's re-install; tomorrow though?

• I was able to locate the report. Hopefully, it will tell us something conclusive.

ref: KCI-58285-523

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

I just saw the topic on the problem with the MAS version of 1Pwd 7.4.2 (build 70402005) and I was wondering if my periodic problem with Build 70402004 might be related.

This discussion has been closed.