How do you migrate a "secondary" vault 1 PW 6 to 1 PW7?

vegabond
vegabond
Community Member

I recently upgraded from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7 for Families. When I was using 1PW 6, I used the Primary Vault for myself, and set up a second vault for my son. His vault had its own password. Even though his vault had its own separate password, his vault was still visible to me when I logged into my Primary Vault. However, MY vault was never visible to him when he signed into HIS 1PW account (which is what it was designed to do).

When I upgraded to 1PW 7 for Families, all of the passwords and data from my Primary vault in 1PW 6, transferred perfectly over to 1PW 7 without any problems. However, nothing in my son's vault transferred over to 1PW 7. So the question is: What do I need to do to get all of the data in his 1PW 6 vault, into a new vault in the 1PW 7 App on my iMac and/or MacBook Pro? Thank you in advance for your help!

Mark

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @vegabond!

You could create a new vault in your Families account, and move your data from this vault to the new vault you created. You can then share the permissions to this vault as you see fit, so that both you and your son will be able to view it.

• vegabond
    vegabond
    Community Member

OK, I think I have it figured out. When I create a new vault in the 1PW for Families account, I can share it with whoever I want and will always get to see it (and any changes made to it) by switching to their vault within 1PW for Families.

However, if I create a new USER, then that person gets their own Private Vault that only they can see and not share with anybody. Any vault that I create in the 1PW for Families account can be shared with the new User that I just mentioned. Am I correct with all of this?

• @vegabond,

Right; each person should have their own account within your 1Password Families membership that they log into. They'll have their own unique Secret Key and Master Password for doing so. Each user's Private vault is (always) visible only when logged in as that user. Any other vaults are considered shared vaults, and can be shared with any number of users in your 1Password Families account. It is also possible to create a shared vault and only add yourself to it, but be aware that other family organizers will also have the power to add themselves to such vaults.

Does that help clarify?

Ben

• vegabond
    vegabond
    Community Member

Yes it does - Thank you! One last question (or two)...

I set my son up so that he now has his own user login and private vault. The next thing I will walk him through, is to migrate all of his data from his old vault that I gave him when I was using 1Password 6. I've already done this with my daughter, but it didn't go smoothly and I had to do a lot of different things to get hers setup. It took a really long time to get done, whereas, my vault took only seconds. However all is fine with hers now. My question is this... What is the easiest way to get all of my son's data from his 1PW 6 account over to his new one in 1PW for Families after he downloads 1PW 7 on his laptop? Note: he also uses 1PW on his iPhone and iPad.

• @vegabond

We have a guide with the recommended process available here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Please pay special attention to the instructions at the bottom about making sure the Primary vault is deleted once the migration is complete. If you have any problems v7 has an option: Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account. First, switch from the All Vaults view to the Personal vault within your account to enable the option. This can be done through the vault switcher at the top left of 1Password's main window (when unlocked). Then select the migration tool. This should wrap up any loose ends.

Ben

• vegabond
    vegabond
    Community Member

Ok, Thank you. I'm very proficient with 1PW and am somewhat tech oriented when it comes to these things. I should be able to handle it, but will reach out if I have any questions. Thanks again.

Mark

• Glad to hear it. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.