Storing passwords for local password-protected files

I have many Excel documents that I password protect using Microsoft Excel's built-in password protection feature. Currently I am using the same password for each of these files. I am wondering if there is a method that will allow me to use unique passwords for each of these files, and store the password in 1Password. The trouble I am running into is finding a way to link the file to the 1Password entry. I don't want to note the file name or path for the document, as this may change and I would likely forget to update the 1Password entry. I have considered using the "Document ID" metadata field in Excel to assign a unique ID to each document, and note this on the 1Password entry, however this field seems to only be viewable after the document is already opened successfully.

Does anyone have a similar use case, or recommend a solution that will work?

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2020

Hi @eoX2TEwVV,

Personally, I do not use 1Password to store such info, but I believe that you can give your Excel files unique names and then create separate Login items for each of your local document. It would look like this:

This way you can find the password you need using the title and generate unique passwords for each document. What do you think?

Let me know if I am missing something. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• eoX2TEwVV
    eoX2TEwVV
    Community Member

Hi Greg,

Thanks for following up on this,

I was hoping to avoid using filenames as they may occasionally get changed, though maybe this is the only way to make it work.

Thanks again,

• On behalf of Greg, you're welcome.

There's not much we can do due to the fact that we try to avoid using anything that "leaks" data outside of 1Password. Not to mention, such data may not be usable on a different device.

This discussion has been closed.