Fill login shortcut and 1P extension for safari not working 7.4.2

Tofu
Tofu
Community Member

After updating to 7.4.2 this morning, the keyboard shortcut of cmd+\ doesn't do anything. Also, the extension on the toolbar for safari doesn't work. When clicking on it, it is unresponsive. Please help!

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: 7.4.2
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• wurtist
    wurtist
    Community Member

Safari 13.0.5 breaks the 1password extension. Can't update extension without completely de-installing 1P 7 from scratch. Just happened today with the safari update

Kurt

1Password Version: 7.4.1
    Extension Version: broken
    OS Version: OS X 10.15.3
    Sync Type: 1password
    Referrer: forum-search:safari 13.0.5

• Hi @wurtist

I am not seeing that behavior on my system. The extension is now bundled together with the application. I am thinking that Safari was open during the update process, and that caused an issue with the extension being in use. If you can think of any additional details you may have noticed, please share them.

• amjbrown
    amjbrown
    Community Member

I see the same issue that Kurt reports. On bang up to date Catalina installs on an iMac and MBP the notification that 1Password needs enabling on Safari appears. The 1P icon is in Safari but does nothing. I could not find an enabling/disabling extension and restarting Safari combination that worked. A system restart resolved.

• @amjbrown

Thanks for the report. I am glad you were able to get things sorted out with the restart. I wanted to take a shot in the dark here. Would either one of you be using the Mac App Store version? I am on our web store version. Perhaps that is a factor in our different experiences?

Just to clarify, were you up to date on Catalina and then updated 1Password? Or were you up to date on 1Password and then updated Catalina?

• amjbrown
    amjbrown
    Community Member

Yes - App Store version for me...

• gregorgross
    gregorgross
    Community Member

Same here and restarting helped to get it going again. How do I find out which version I use? Can't remember...

• hezor
    hezor
    Community Member

I had the same problem. Mac App Store told that update 7.4.2 was installed but 1Password About window showed version 7.4.1. Safari and Firefox extensions did nothing when I clicked the icons. I restarted the whole machine and everything started working after that. Also after this 1P About box told that the version was now 7.4.2.

• jamescirilli
    jamescirilli
    Community Member

Same here. Updated to 7.4.2 (70402005) this morning, lost the safari extension. doesn't appear in the customize toolbar option either. password mini icon only allows to close the app with a right click. a restart of the computer, no help.
    Extension still works normally in Chrome and Firefox.

• CarlD
    CarlD
    Community Member

Same here, though the extension version and application version match (7.4.2). Seeing this error in my logs:

Prompting policy for hardened runtime; service: kTCCServiceAppleEvents requires entitlement com.apple.security.automation.apple-events but it is missing for ACC:{ID: com.agilebits.onepassword7.1PasswordSafariAppExtension, PID[29136], auid: 501, euid: 501, binary path: '/Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/1PasswordSafariAppExtension.appex/Contents/MacOS/1PasswordSafariAppExtension'}, REQ:{ID: com.apple.appleeventsd, PID[285], auid: 55, euid: 55, binary path: '/System/Library/CoreServices/appleeventsd'}

MacOS 10.15.4 build 19E224g

• Tony64
    Tony64
    Community Member

Same here. The extension stopped working immediately after the update to 7.4.2. Removing and reinstalling 1Password didn't help. Neither did rebooting.

Two observations:
    1. The logs show the following entries when attempting to enable the extension: Not enabling extension due to security measures
    2. When logging in as a guest user, the extension appears to work just fine.

Maybe some user account settings have somehow been corrupted?

MacOS 10.15.3

• dv8or
    dv8or
    Community Member

Im having the same issue. The ipassword mini also has issues - get a message to enable the 1password extension in safari which I have already done.

• wurtist
    wurtist
    Community Member

@ag_tommy : Still broken. I restarted the mac from scratch. Nope. I deinstalled 1p7 entirely and restarted the mac, then reinstalled 1p7 from your website (using the safari browser)...NOPE. 1p7 installed fine, but still no plugin and no way to manually install in because your site says "it's included in the 1p7 application".

In the system preferences the 1p extension is there, but the box is NOT CLICKABLE. Neither can I delete it.

What now?

• jt987
    jt987
    Community Member

This morning when opening my computer, I was prompted to quit Safari to install a 1P update. I did so, the install completed, and I was provided another prompt about the 1P extension that I can't remember the exact text of, but I acknowledged it and went on using my computer. The 1P extension was no longer working. So, I tried restarting Safari and 1P to see if that cleared it up. It's still no longer working. Clicking on the toolbar button does nothing. Clicking on 1P mini prompts me to turn on the Safari extension, which is already both installed and enabled. So it seems like the latest update may have broken something. Safari version is 13.0.5 (15608.5.11)

1Password Version: 7.4.1
    Extension Version: Safari
    OS Version: 10.15.3
    Sync Type: Teams

• Hi folks,

Please try the following instructions:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• Tofu
    Tofu
    Community Member

That worked. Thanks! Although, now that the app is directly from your website and not the app store, will i be notified of app updates?

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

@Tofu

Yes, you will see notification updates from the web store version, provided you have set up 1Password to check for updates.

Open - 1Password > Preferences > Updates Tab > verify Automatically check for updates is enabled.
    - Optionally enable Automatically install updates.

• NEPAwoodworker
    NEPAwoodworker
    Community Member

I'm running OS 10.15.3 and Safari 13.0.5 and I followed the above instructions by Ben. Twice. I have 1P 7.4.2 but no working extension in Safari. The Safari>preferences say the extension is installed but the extension does not work, it says "turn on the 1P extension" in a popup window and the checkbox doesn't work.

• @NEPAwoodworker

I had another user with the same issue and his answer to me was:

"it did not work until I opened it from the toolbar icon, which asked me to enable safari extension
    Then I was able to enable the safari extension (unable to do that after installing)"

Can you try that. I assume by toolbar he was referencing the menu bar. I am awaiting clarification from him on his meaning. We are investigating reports of this behavior.

• NEPAwoodworker
    NEPAwoodworker
    Community Member

I tried that, nothing asked me to enable safari extension. I'm not sure why Safari's extension window's checkboxes do nothing...or if that is even a clue to the problem.

• @NEPAwoodworker

Mind me asking a few follow up questions? I am looking for similarities in the setup's of others reporting this.

Were you using the Mac App Store version, when you first noticed the problem?
    Did you have 1Password installed prior to upgrading to 10.15.3?

Thanks

• motivio
    motivio
    Community Member

I have the same issue on two Macs with 10.15.3.
    And yes I had 1Password installed from the App Store before upgrading to 10.15.3.

Can you please release an update thru the App Store to fix it?

• NEPAwoodworker
    NEPAwoodworker
    Community Member

I believe the 1P version I had installed was from your web site. I know that most of my 1P installs came from your site, but I'm not 100% sure that the previous version I had was installed from the web site.

I did have 1P installed prior to upgrading to OS 10.15.3

(For now, I'll use Chrome where the 1P extension is working fine.)

• @motivio

I am sure the development team is hard at work on fixing a new release. I have no details on when etc..
    Thank you for supplying your details.

@NEPAwoodworker

Thank you for providing your details, and working with Chrome while the developer's work on this problem.

• taco_liker
    taco_liker
    Community Member

+1 here, same issue as @NEPAwoodworker and @motivio.
    Running 1Password 7.4.3 (was the App Store version, now the web store version) on MacOS 10.15.3. Have tried multiple system restarts.
    Safari preferences lists the extension, but won't allow me to click to enable it. As a result there's no toolbar icon to try.
    Triggering 1Password mini while Safari is active shows the "Turn on the 1Password extension…" dialogue.
    1P extension/mini works fine in Chrome and other apps.

Screen recording of Safari preferences behavior if it helps: https://we.tl/t-vJgPD5gotL

• NEPAwoodworker
    NEPAwoodworker
    Community Member

I rebooted in safe mode (by holding down the shift key when booting), when it finished booting I opened Safari and tried clicking on the box in Safari preferences, and it worked! So I shutdown again and rebooted in normal mode, and the 1P extension is still enabled and the 1P widget appears in the top right of the window frame as it should. So, I'm not sure if this was a 1P problem or a Safari permission problem, I'm thinking it was more of an Apple Safari or OS or permission problem.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your experience with us as well @taco_liker! Our developers will continue investigating.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@NEPAwoodworker:

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that this worked for you :+1:

• dwaall345
    dwaall345
    Community Member

I am having the exact same issue. Attempts to check the box to enable the 1password extension do not work. The box never checks and stays empty.

I have done a full removal of 1 password per https://support.1password.com/uninstall-1password/ I have re-installed and rebooted several times.
    I have tried the previous suggestions of turning off content blocker, quitting safari and rebooting the Mac along the way. I've quit 1 password (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely) several times and rebooted. All to no avail. Looking in console, I am also getting the message "Not enabling extension due to security measures" when I attempt to check the box. Turning off content blocking however does not work in my case.

There's definitely something wrong here. I've just started using 1Password, coming from another mainstream competing product. I've didn't have that issue with that product, or any issue doing something as simple as enabling an extension for any app. With 1Password, that simple action is frustratingly unable to be completed.

Catalina 10.15.3
    Safari Version 13.0.3 (15608.3.10.1.4)
    1Password 7
    Version 7.4.3 (70403002)
    1Password Store

• dwaall345
    dwaall345
    Community Member

I am having the exact same issue. Attempts to check the box to enable the 1password extension do not work. The box never checks and stays empty.

I have done a full removal of 1 password per https://support.1password.com/uninstall-1password/ I have re-installed and rebooted several times.
    I have tried the previous suggestions of turning off content blocker, quitting safari and rebooting the Mac along the way. I've quit 1 password (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely) several times and rebooted. All to no avail. Looking in console, I am also getting the message "Not enabling extension due to security measures" when I attempt to check the box. Turning off content blocking however does not work in my case.

There's definitely something wrong here. I've just started using 1Password, coming from another mainstream competing product. I've didn't have that issue with that product, or any issue doing something as simple as enabling an extension for any app. With 1Password, that simple action is frustratingly unable to be completed.

Catalina 10.15.3
    Safari Version 13.0.3 (15608.3.10.1.4)
    1Password 7
    Version 7.4.3 (70403002)
    1Password Store

• @dwaall345

I've replied to you here. So that we can avoid duplicating efforts please try to avoid posting about the same issue in multiple places. Thank you! :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.