Work computer question

Is it safer on a computer at work to use the 1password web interface or to download the app?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @TDK1044

Personally, I would try 1Password X if you have a membership. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/84062/1password-x-setup Just my recommendation. I am sure there are benefits of going either way. It's not quite exactly like using the web interface, and not quite as robust as the Mac app. But to be honest, the more I use it, the more I find myself using the Mac app less for day to day tasks. I think knowing that may be of benefit to you at work. Give it a try at home to see if it will fit your work environment.

Sorry if you are not a Mac user, it just so happened that a Mac user to respond to your question. :)

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member

Thanks for your prompt response. I'm a Windows guy though. We've just upgraded our computers at work and so I was wondering if there was any advantage to using the app vs the web or vice versa.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

If the work computer can run the Edge browser, you can also use 1Password X. :)

As to Windows, I'll leave the details to the folks who can give you a clear definitive answer. Thank you for responding so quickly. If you have no objections, I would like to move your topic to the Windows section, where you will likely get a better comparison.

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member

Sure. Thanks.

• Hi @TDK1044,

It depends on your work policies and the computer's security setup. A lot of companies don't allow you to install programs and in that situation, the 1Password X extension would be preferred since it doesn't require installing anything other than your browser that's already installed by your IT department.

The 1Password for Windows desktop program would be preferred if you need to use more features like using Windows Hello, longer unlocked session (since closing your browser locks 1Password X), and more like copying/pasting quickly between programs using 1Password mini.

• TDK1044
    TDK1044
    Community Member

Thanks. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2020

@TDK1044, on behalf of MikeT, you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.