I need to prevent a sync from happening across my different machines.

Options
Roy123456789
Roy123456789
Community Member

My iMac got badly hacked so I shut it down and erased the drive. Made many password changes on my MacBook. Now I'm restoring the iMac drive using SuperDuper. How do I prevent the older passwords on the iMac from "updating" the new ones on the MacBook? I use DropBox.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.4.2
OS Version: OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:Had to make many password changes due to an intrusion. Did that on my MacBook. I'm restoring my iMac

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Roy123456789! Welcome to the forum!

I think this post from my colleague Lars should help address your concern. Specifically, this part:

1Password is VERY conservative when it comes to merging duplicates; unless items are an exact match including the UUID number, they will not be synced; you'll get both copies. That's to avoid exactly the worry you had: arbitrary removal of data you wanted to keep. You may be left with a significant editing/purge job when you're done, but you shouldn't have any incorrectly-deleted data.

• Roy123456789
    Roy123456789
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, that's a relief. Now I just have to figure out how to rebuild a new copy of 1Password on my new system.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Roy123456789 - so, if you were syncing your data via Dropbox, and you think (or you're certain) the Dropbox sync keychain is still the most complete and up-to-date copy of your data, then the best approach is simply to install 1Password as new on your new device, and on first run, choose Dropbox as your data source/sync method.

If you suspect - or you're certain - that the Dropbox sync keychain is out of date or corrupt or simply doesn't exist anymore, you can restore from a backup of your previous data, assuming you have the Backups file from the previous Mac's ~/Library folder. Let us know how you get on, or if you have any questions.

This discussion has been closed.