1Password Dark mode for Windows and unresponsive UI.

I use 1password on Windows, Mac and iOS. I don't understand why the app UI lags and has poor UI responsiveness in Windows. This looks like some web app hacked together to work on Windows it is no where close to the Mac UI experience. For reference see how Battle.net, Steam or Origin are on Windows. That is how app UI is supposed to behave, clicks should instantly get registered, scrolling must be smooth, viewing any new password details or item details has some delayed UI draw. The 1Password Mini on windows is a joke which takes at least 1sec to display the window.

And where is Dark Mode for Windows? Is Mac and iOS the primary platform?

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 1909
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• sheldonh
    sheldonh
    Community Member

I'm pretty picky, and use windows version. I have no issues with what you are describing and do development work on my machine, with likely much more customization and load than regular users experience.

Suggest you close this and try to be more specific in your questions as separate posts, as it will be much more likely to get you some improvements.

I feel you on the dark mode 😀

• MikeT
    edited February 2020

Hi guys,

@meetajhu,

We believe the performance and responsiveness should be much better for you in the upcoming 1Password 7.4 release, it has a lot of internal improvements that should help. If you want, you can try the 7.4 betas here but it can be unstable as it is a massive update. We don't have a timeframe on when this will be made available as a stable update, it may be a while.

Your issue is due to using the standalone vaults via Dropbox, that slows down the app when it syncs after unlocking, especially 1Password mini. We have made some adjustments in 1Password 7.4 to reduce the impact on the UI interactions when syncing with standalone vaults. 1Password.com accounts are not affected by this as they have a much more efficient way of communicating updates.

1Password is a native program, we don't use any web components but we are using Microsoft's Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) to render our interface, which isn't really as modern as their Universal Windows Platform (UWP) framework. UWP supports dark mode by default, higher refresh rate, smooth scrolling, and the modern Fluent Design System, plus support for ARM devices.

UWP is not something we can use right now for 1Password. Microsoft is working on decoupling their UWP UI library away from UWP, so native desktop apps like us can use it. We don't know when they'll be done though.

• meetajhu
    meetajhu
    Community Member

@MikeT Thanks for the detailed response. I'll try out the beta.

• You're welcome. We'd love to hear your feedback if you do give it a try.

• meetajhu
    meetajhu
    Community Member

@MikeT i tried 1Password 7.4 beta. Its great and love the improvements. The 1password mini is the best update of all. Can't wait for Dark Mode 8-) . Thanks for fixing these problems

• MikeT
    edited February 2020

Awesome, thanks for that feedback and we can't wait to work on the dark mode either. I'm nudging the team every time I wake up in the morning with a bright screen while the rest is in dark mode. 🤪

This discussion has been closed.