Exporting IOS 1Password vault to Windows 10 1Password7

Options

I've installed itunes. Obtained the backup through itunes file sharing.

1Password appears unable to read the sqlite file the backup contains.

Am I missing something or is my IOS 1password vault just not compatible with 1password Windows.

Purchased stand-alone license of software. Not interested in yet another subscription.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @toukay,

Thanks for writing in.

The backups created by the iOS app can only be restored in the iOS or macOS version of 1Password, it cannot be restored in a different version of 1Password.

However, 1Password 7 for Windows can use the encrypted standalone vaults (.opvault) that 1Password for iOS uses. Try to sync via Dropbox instead if you can.

• toukay
    toukay
    Community Member
    Options

Syncing with drop box worked.

FYI. Apple's premium pricing is forcing me out of their ecosystem. I appreciate that 1Password works with Windows. Hope to see a Linux version some day. And I'm someone that has owned a number of Macs and was very enthusiastic about Apple a five or so years ago.

But I'm definitely feeling a large amount of indigestion with respect to the spread of subscription models for software. At least for the personal level of service. Subscriptions probably work better as model for business applications. Put another way, I'm always going to prefer to own rather than to rent.

1Password has worked for me on the iPhone. So you earned my business for the Windows version.

• @toukay,

That's great, I'm glad that worked for you.

Hope to see a Linux version some day.

A Linux version is something we'd love to do.

FYI. Apple's premium pricing is forcing me out of their ecosystem

I hear that but for me, it's not even their premium pricing, it's their software quality in general lately but I digress.

But I'm definitely feeling a large amount of indigestion with respect to the spread of subscription models for software. At least for the personal level of service. Subscriptions probably work better as model for business applications. Put another way, I'm always going to prefer to own rather than to rent.

We do understand that but I have to respect that developers of all size needs to earn something for their work, no one can live on free. In the past, they may get by with 100$ license fee and rely on upgrade fees a few years later but because of the mobile ecosystem driving app costs down to near zero, it puts extreme pressure on developers to be able to feed themselves and their family, so subscription for some apps make more sense to them. It is slightly easier for people to pay 10-20$ a year instead of 100$ upfront fee to buy a software and easier to justify as long as the application keeps getting quality updates, which in 5 years, 100$ made enough return on their cost. There are certain companies where whatever you paid for a year, you keep the features forever, just not the next year's worth. (I know there have been cases where app charge more and license would've been cheaper, that's why you have the option of looking elsewhere and pick what works for you).

While it is true that not every application needs a subscription like NotePad but in many cases, it is about providing a sustainable revenue so that the developers can continue to work on their programs to catch up with the everchanging world.

This discussion has been closed.