Save and Fill not working on iOS

Several times when signing up for an account on random websites (like Feedly) I have tried to use the Create Login, and after filling in the username and password I select Save and Fill. The fields are filled in however the login is not being saved in 1Password. Is there some step in the process that I’m missing, this is very frustrating.

I’m on the latest version of iOS and 1Password is updated.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bwanajag!

Can you please give us the exact steps to reproduce this, so we can test your process here and see if we get the same issue? Thank you!

• Whetstone
    Whetstone
    Community Member

@ag_ana Ive tried out 1password today and discovered the same issue. It appears the desktop app/extension stores the password in a different section “Saved on websitename.com” rather than the original password field. For me iOS can’t use any of the auto saved passwords but can do my manual ones!

• Hi @Whetstone

Welcome to the forum. :) Could you please give me an example of a website where you've saved a login on your desktop and it isn't working on iOS? I have over a thousand Login items saved from 1Password for Mac that work with 1Password for iOS, so it is definitely possible.

Ben

• Whetstone
    Whetstone
    Community Member

Hi @Ben

The first example was Spotify’s website. I fixed that on discovery, but for example if I take BestWestern which was auto generated it fails. (See photos)

• @Whetstone

I see what you mean from your screenshots, but that isn't what I'm seeing on my devices. Could you please walk me through:

1. What version of 1Password you're using on your computer
    2. What version of the 1Password extension you have installed in Firefox
    3. The process you're using to save the Login items in question

Thanks!

Ben

• Whetstone
    Whetstone
    Community Member

Sure,

Browser: New Microsoft Edge (81.0.416.58) using the 1Password Chrome Extension (1.18.1).

PC Client: 7.4.763

Process:

As I was swapping from Bitwarden (CSV import didn’t work), I was filling the website manually using Bitwarden then clicking in the password field and adding to 1Password using the extension drop down from the password field.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Whetstone! Thanks for letting us know about this. I'm on the 1Password X team here. I'm curious what the website URL was where you originally saved this Login. I attempted to reproduce the issue, but I haven't been able to get 1Password X to save an item with the "Saved on..." section on www.bestwestern.com. I tried with both the registration and sign in form. Could you perhaps share the website URL stored inside your Best Western Login item? That may point me in the right direction. I'd like to get it reported to our developers, but it'll help if I can reproduce the issue on my computer/phone as well.

• Whetstone
    Whetstone
    Community Member

Hi @kaitlyn

The issue is present on a number of entries, but the best western saved URL is:

www.bestwestern.com/en_US/rewards/profile-and-preferences.html

No idea why it’s that link, presumably Bitwarden saved it after I moved from the login page to the rewards page.

• Whetstone
    Whetstone
    Community Member

@kaitlyn Another one for further evidence is Blinkist. Fills the email fine, but not the password. This one even has just a full root web address.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks so much, @Whetstone! So far, I haven't been able to get an item to save the same way as yours on either of these sites. I wonder if they were saved using an older version of 1Password X. What I'd suggest for now is either re-saving the item using 1Password X or editing the item on your phone and copying the password from the "Saved on..." section to the actual password field. That should cause your credentials to fill properly with Password AutoFill on your iPhone. Let me know how it goes.

• Whetstone
    Whetstone
    Community Member

@kaitlyn Thanks for your help, I’ll see how it goes, otherwise might be back to Bitwarden 🙃. I’m happy to open a screen share if you wanted?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Whetstone – Did you get a chance to save a new item on 1Password X? If so, how did it turn out?

If I'm being completely honest, but I'm not sure how beneficial screen sharing would be for this situation. I understand what's going on based on the screenshots you provided (which I'm super grateful you posted ❤️). I'm thinking the items may have been saved with a previous version of 1Password X, though, since I'm not seeing the same results. That said, I'm familiar with the items with the "saved on" section, so I'm not questioning it by any means. Screen sharing tends to get dangerous because it can potentially expose information that you don't want exposed, and quite frankly, that I don't want to be exposed to. We tend to lean towards the side of caution when it comes to that, so we offer forum and email support to our users. If you think taking a screencast would help, you're welcome to, but I'd suggest blocking out any personal information. I'd also be curious what it would reveal that a screenshot wouldn't. Either way, I'm happy to help get these items working well for you in all of the 1Password clients! :)

• Whetstone
    Whetstone
    Community Member

So I think I've solved the issue, and thought I'd share my resolution so you can close any tickets / get the knowledge.

Long story short, the reason I planned to swap from Bitwarden (and family members from LastPass Families) is because LastPass is the bane of my existence. I spun off into Bitwarden which has been fine but is a bit feature-less. So as part of my 1Password testing, I tried to do an export from Bitwarden as CSV, which processed really obscurely because it structures folders as thus:

Personal
    Personal\Banking
    Professional
    Professional\CompanyA
    Professional\CompanyB
    Professional\CompanyB\Clients

Which is great for open source code but horrible for exporting (Who'd have thought it). Therefore I abandoned the CSV route and went for the scary manual option for around 300~ logons. >_<

This evolved into a nice process, after about 10 websites, I realised I didn't have to do this entirely manually. Rather than copying the Username and Password into the website field from Bitwarden's desktop client and then saving to 1Password, I'd let Bitwarden autofill and then I'd save it into 1Password. Nice and fast!

This is great because I didn't notice the issue on PC, it just detects the username and that a password is present so uses that. iOS autofill, less so.

Because of this, I put it to the test and what do you know:

Doing it manually (with copy/paste):

vs using Bitwarden autofill:

I assume this has something to do with the way Bitwarden hands the password to the browser? Long story short, I have many logons to manually fix :'( Thanks for your help though!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Whetstone – I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to perform those tests! They were super helpful. I'll admit that I haven't used Bitwarden in the past since I've been using 1Password since I first started using a password manager. I'll definitely keep an eye out for any other reports like this, though.

I wonder if you could make the CSV work. We've got a pretty sweet article explaining the layout of the 1Password compatible CSV import. You can check it out here. I'm hoping that seeing the examples (you can even download an example CSV at the bottom) and comparing it to your Bitwarden CSV could potentially point you in the right direction. If you have any questions for me, I'll be here for you!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hello again @Whetstone – I wanted to follow up with you since our CSV importer in the 1Password web app got a complete redesign, which was just released. I think you'll have a lot better luck attempting to import your CSV now. You should now see something similar to this screenshot when importing a CSV:

You can then label each value, so you'd give the password values a label of "password," for example. This release came at the perfect time, and it should help you out tremendously. I only hope I caught you in time before you put in all the manual work.

• Whetstone
    Whetstone
    Community Member

Thanks @kaitlyn

Unfortunately I'd already put the effort in to do it manually :) The other PW manager was LastPass which imported seamlessly. Although a future improvement would be to determine which vault to import to? When you copy the LastPass output into the 1Password web import interface, it drops them into the Private vault. Thanks for all your help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Whetstone:

I think that it's because the Private vault is the safest default choice. You can move items from one vault to another anytime after the import though.

• Whetstone
    Whetstone
    Community Member

@ag_ana Sure makes sense, the only reason I suggested it was because it mixed everything in with my Private Vault. The recently appeared folder doesn't appear in the desktop client. Maybe it could be expanded to append a Imported-DD-MM-YYYY Tag to each of the items?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Whetstone – If only that release would have come out just a few days prior! Either way, I'm glad to hear that you were able to import your items manually.

For your request to have the ability to select a vault when importing items, that's something we already offer. For example, when I follow our importing instructions, I'm asked to select which vault I'd like to import the items into. By default, my Private vault is selected, but I think that's the right choice given that's the main vault that we know each user has in their account. Any other vaults the user does (or doesn't) create is up to them. Here's what I mean:

If you're seeing something different on your end, please do let me know!

This discussion has been closed.