Do I need to upgrading to 7?

Options

I have 6.8.9 version. It works with Chrome but I need it to work with Safari. I did read a blog post that said I now had to upgrade to 7 but.... does that cost money? And I'm nervous to do an upgrade, if something goes wrong and I lose my passwords, literally my life and job would be over.

So now what, how do I do an upgrade? I have 1 password on my iMac, my iPhone and older Macbook. So do I have to delete all that and start all over again? Will my current saved passwords be transferred over to the new one. Can you guarantee I won't lose my passwords?

Thanks for more info, not super tech-savvy.

Susan

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: catalina 10.15.3
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @pixiegirl,

I have 6.8.9 version. It works with Chrome but I need it to work with Safari. I did read a blog post that said I now had to upgrade to 7 but.... does that cost money?

Correct, Safari will only work with 1Password 7 due to Apple's discontinuation of the Safari Extension Gallery and move to Safari App Extensions for integrating apps with Safari. 1Password 7 is a separate purchase from any previous purchases.

And I'm nervous to do an upgrade, if something goes wrong and I lose my passwords, literally my life and job would be over.

I understand the nervousness, but 1Password 7 has been out for over a year and a half and hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of customers have upgraded to v7 from v6. The process has been very well tested. :) Additionally 1Password makes automatic backups of your data, so in the unexpected event that something does go sideways there is a backup available.

So now what, how do I do an upgrade? I have 1 password on my iMac, my iPhone and older Macbook.

What version of macOS does the older MacBook run? 1Password 7 requires at least macOS 10.13, with 10.15 being recommended. It may run on macOS 10.12, but there are known issues particularly with Touch ID on that version.

So do I have to delete all that and start all over again?

Not at all.

Will my current saved passwords be transferred over to the new one.

Yes.

Can you guarantee I won't lose my passwords?

As mentioned above there are automatic backups that are created. Unless you delete those, they are your failsafe. Additionally, you're backing up your computer with something like Time Machine, right? ;) If not, please do that. Regardless of 1Password, you should be backing up your devices.

Thanks for more info, not super tech-savvy.

No problem. We have a guide which will walk you through the process. That guide can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Ben

This discussion has been closed.