Credit Card custom icons (time for a non-square asset)

andre_corsi
andre_corsi
Community Member
edited May 2018 in Mac

Hi,
I'm a big fan of customization. I tend to often update icons with custom ones as soon as they're available for logins and I would like to be able to do the same for Credit Cards.
I've collected every single .png from my credit card issuing banks and I would like to apply them on 1Password items as well.

E.g.:

BUT... whenever I try to add a custom icon to a registered credit card, it's suddenly scaled down and converted into a square-fashion asset.

Instead of acting like expected:

What I'm asking is a native non-square asset for credit cards (call it a 60x46px mask or whatever), but please, allow us to get rid of squared icons for custom credit cards. 🙏🏻🙏🏻

1Password Version: 7.0.1
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: macOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:credit card custom icon

Comments

• andre_corsi
    andre_corsi
    Community Member

anyone?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the suggestion, and welcome to the forum, @andre_corsi! I'll certainly pass along your request to our development and design team. This is something we've considered internally for a while. We think it'd be a neat idea as well -- only the amount of work needed to make this change isn't trivial. It isn't Herculean, either...but we've got a number of higher-priority items on our plate, so I think this one will have to remain firmly in the "someday, maybe" column for now. It would certainly be nice...but it's going to have to wait for a time when things are a little less hectic. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about and wishes for 1Password with us! :)

• andre_corsi
    andre_corsi
    Community Member

Thank you, @Lars! I don't specifically know how the app is structured, but there's already something like "the credit card item of my dreams" in 1Password, that is Mac app license entries. Clearly they're .icns. Some sort of transparency (alpha) is applied and there are no borders, even if clearly a maximum height and width are set. Treating credit card custom icons as "Mac app icons" instead of "logins" could be the key. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@andre_corsi - it isn't that our designers don't have some ideas for how to do this, it's more a question of time and resource allocation. Though even they agree it would be a cool thing to have -- perhaps once the initial rush of the 7.0 release comes out, we'll have more opportunity to apply some of this kind of customizability. Thanks for writing in! :)

• andre_corsi
    andre_corsi
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

@Lars any update on that? It's been 2 years since my initial feature request. ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@andre_corsi:

Not yet, sorry! I recommend keeping an eye out on the release notes: everything that we add to the app in terms of features or updates will make its way there, so that it the best way to see what's new with 1Password.

• bnpluss
    bnpluss
    Community Member

Would also love to see .icns support for all entries :)

• Hi @bnpluss

.icns icons are supported, but our design team opted (intentionally) to not apply transparency to customer supplied icons.

Ben

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

I very much agree with this request. As of now, all my credit cards have black top and bottom borders, making it very difficult to ascertain cards by looking at their images. If displaying a rectangle "isn't trivial", which is difficult for this software developer to understand given that the default icon is rectangular, simply make the borders transparent. BTW, this request has been around for 4.5 years.

• Hi @garyhooper

As mentioned in my most recent post here this was an intentional design decision. The issue isn't how trivial or not the work to change this would be, but rather an intentional choice to render icons in this fashion. A choice was made not to show transparency for customer supplied icons. We don't currently have plans to change this, but will continue to monitor feedback on the situation. Perhaps this use case can be better accounted for in the next major iteration of the UI.

I'm sorry I don't have more encouraging news to share for the near term.

Ben

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

@andre_corsi shows how the UI should look, versus how it does look. In my case, the top & bottom borders are black (not white), rendering the icon almost illegible. Please pass this on to your UX people.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Certainly, thank you for the feedback @garyhooper :+1:

This discussion has been closed.