To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Stop the stupid "Sign Up for Subscription" popup on my iMac!

cbjason
cbjason
Community Member
edited September 2019 in Memberships

You need to disable the stupid "Sign Up for Subscription" nag that now randomly pops up on my desktop since I was FORCED to update to 1Password 7. Disgusting!

1Password Version: 7
OS Version: 10.14.6

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cbjason: Could you please clarify what you're referring to? A screenshot would be great. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• I'm unaware of any "popups" in 1Password 7 beyond 1Password mini and the updater. If you could please provide a screenshot of what you're seeing at your convenience I imagine that would go a long way toward helping us help you with this. Thanks!

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cbjason - that's not an "upsell attempt," it's simply letting you know that 1Password 7 for Mac remains unauthorized by either the purchase of a new license for the new version (1Password 7 is a completely new, full-version upgrade) or a 1password.com membership/subscription. Our recommendation is definitely the latter, for many reasons, but we still offer both, and the choice is yours. However, if you want to take 1Password 7 for Mac out of Read Only mode, you'll need to do one or the other. Read Only mode means you cannot add, edit or delete any of your 1Password data, and you can't use the browser extension to save or fill.

Mind you, I've already paid for the app.

If you've already purchased a license for version 7 or you've already subscribed to a 1Password membership, then you just need to either add the license file you would have received via email from FastSpring, or sign into the app with your 1Password account. Either will remove the Read Only restrictions and allow full functionality. Let us know if you have questions!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@cbjason - you weren't forced to download 1Password 7 onto your Mac. You may have done so inadvertently (and if so, apologies for the confusion), or it might have been intentional, but you would not be seeing the Purchase Options window for version 7 if you had not chosen to download and install it. We don't show that window in the version 6 app that you've paid for, or in earlier versions. To be clear, that Purchase Options window should only appear when you launch 1Password 7 for Mac and unlock it without a purchase, or when/if you click the Read Only badge on any of your items. If it's happening more-frequently than that on your Mac, then something else is wrong...but if you're not interested in paying for 1Password 7 for Mac either via a standalone license or a 1Password membership, then the solution to this will be to just uninstall version 7. Here's how:

• Quit all running browsers
    • Quit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu)
    • Open Activity Monitor (in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder) and type 1pass into the search bar.
    • If you see any remaining 1Password processes running, quit them by selecting each one in turn and clicking the "X" button near the top left of the Activity Monitor window.
    • Delete the 1Password 7 app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app from your Applications folder to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash.
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@cbjason - you're definitely not the first to run into this issue, but it's a function of the changes made to Safari's allowed extensions format (from the older .safariextz format that was the default prior to Safari 12, to the new Safari App Extension format that was introduced in version 12 and made mandatory by Apple in version 13). 1Password 6 for Mac "became unusable" only in Safari, and only because the extension format that was correct when 1Password 6 for Mac was the current version has been retired formally by Apple. Because the change from .safariextz extensions to Safari App Extensions came after version 6 had already been retired to legacy mode, it does not have the new extension format (just like 1Password for Mac versions 5, 4 and 3, etc also don't have it) -- but 1Password 7 for Mac does, since it's the current version.

As I've mentioned in other threads on this forum recently, we did make multiple announcements about the changes upcoming in Safari 13 (on our blog, in our Support pages, in a pinned thread here in the Mac category of this forum), but we knew not everyone would see these. Still, no one including you was or is "forced" to download 1Password 7 for Mac. Version 6 still works quite well with the latest versions of both Firefox and Chrome (though here again, I don't know for how long, as version 6 is no longer receiving development attention). You can - if you wish - re-install the 1Password 6 for Mac that you have a paid license for and switch browsers to either of those or the major Chrome derivatives (Opera, Vivaldi, Brave), and keep right on using it for the moment.

Or, you can choose to authorize 1Password 7 for Mac with a purchase of either a new standalone license for the new version or a 1Password membership. Or I suppose you could continue using 1Password in Read Only mode -- and experiencing this pop-up, but that doesn't seem a very attractive choice to you, based on your comments so far. However, the choice is yours. Let us know if you have any questions about how to proceed in any of these directions.

• @cbjason

a. pay you $65 PER YEAR (after having already paid for a 1P6 license);

I'm not sure where that number came from but an individual membership is $35.88 USD + tax (if applicable) per year. Alternatively you could purchase a 1Password 7 for Mac license, which is currently a $50 USD + tax one-time fee (though like previous licenses does not include a guarantee of upgrades).

b. use a different browser (as if that's a simple change), even though you are no longer developing/updating 1P6;

That would certainly be a choice. I've personally never found it to be much of a challenge to switch between browsers, but depending on what you rely on your browser for I suppose it might be. It seems most of the modern browsers now are all able to import each other's bookmarks. I'm not sure what else there might be tying you to Safari.

Got it. Not forced at all.

I suppose we could go back and fourth all day. If you'd like to continue to use 1Password with Safari that would require an upgrade, yes. It isn't free, and it isn't included with 1Password 6. I do wish you the best of luck with whichever path you decide to take and please let us know if you have further questions.

Ben

• stevejobs
    stevejobs
    Community Member

I also experienced this ANNOYING sign in popup when I migrated from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7, despite being a long time customer of the old version and having also subscribed for the newer version. As a matter of fact I were been paying for 1Password 7 for about a year without using it. Finally I registered another subscription account and somehow managed to migrate to 1Password7.

The strategic decision to hide (or at least make it VERY hard to find) the option to not store data on Agilebits' cloud may be clever from a business perspective, but results in a utterly terrible user experience for those do not want to hand over their data to the company. I struggled for a week to find out this hidden option :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@stevejobs:

As a matter of fact I were been paying for 1Password 7 for about a year without using it. Finally I registered another subscription account and somehow managed to migrate to 1Password7.

Did you add that 1Password account to 1Password 7 already? That's what you need to activate the app if you have a 1Password Membership.

The strategic decision to hide (or at least make it VERY hard to find) the option to not store data on Agilebits' cloud may be clever from a business perspective, but results in a utterly terrible user experience for those do not want to hand over their data to the company.

I don't think it's a strategic decision. Most users just want 1Password to work, and sync automatically on all of their devices. Because sync is included with a 1Password Membership, the option to sync to additional third-party storage is disabled by default to avoid confusion, duplication of data etc :)

• @stevejobs

Also, to be clear, syncing with 1Password.com doesn't cause your data to be "handed over" to us, any more than syncing your 1Password data with iCloud or Dropbox causes your data to be handed over to Apple/Dropbox. In any case your data is encrypted with your Master Password, which only you know, before the data is synced. As a result nobody else can read the data you store in 1Password.

About the 1Password security model

Ben

• Missingv6
    Missingv6
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Please stop this popup that come up every 15 minutes! I'm not buying no matter how many times you nag me. Nagging me will just make me move to something else quicker. I've been a customer from the 1.0 days but I refuse to pay bloated prices for features that I won't use. Either come up with a package for folks that just want the v6 features for a reasonable price or stop nagging me with this popup and leave my database read only so I can migrate off in peace.

• Hi @Missingv6

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. You'd either need to purchase a license or a membership from that screen. v7 is not included with a v6 license.

Ben

• Missingv6
    Missingv6
    Community Member

I'll try this one more time and make it as simple as possible. Please change it so this popup only comes up once, it currently keeps poping up on a timer.
    I have upgraded my iOS App to v7 but I will not be upgrading my desktop version. I am not asking for free software. I am happy with a read only desktop app.

• Sorry @Missingv6, but that isn't how it works. The 1Password 7 for iOS app is only available either through a subscription or as a companion app to a licensed desktop version. Your desktop version is not currently licensed, which is the problem. You can resolve that either through a 1Password membership subscription, or a 1Password 7 for Mac license purchase, but you cannot continue to use v7 without either.

Ben

• Missingv6
    Missingv6
    Community Member

And yet that is how it working for me. I have a v7 iOS app that is writeable but a desktop app that is read only and don't pay a subscription. @Ben from what you are saying this isn't how's it's supposed to work and I should either pay for a subscription or migrate to something else as fast as possible?

• Or purchase a license, yes.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.