Duplication between Logins and Password entries

antipole
antipole
Community Member

I have 305 logins in my vaults. Additionally, I have accumulated 112 entries categorised as 'Passwords'. There is a close relationship between some logins and one or more Password entries.

I need to understand what these 'Password' items are. Often WatchTower draws my attention to duplicate passwords between a login and a password entry. I suspect the password entry gets created while registering for a site. Often there are several entries for the one site.

Can I just delete them?
This is not related to a specific version. They show up on my Mac and iOS devices. Some illumination on this would be great.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @antipole!

Every time you use the password generator, the resulting 1Password items gets stored in your Passwords category for safety. If you then create a login item from that password, it is possible that a copy might remain in the Passwords category.

If Watchtower is warning you about duplicate passwords, it should be safe to remove the password item if you already have a Login item using the same password.

• antipole
    antipole
    Community Member

Ah, so that's how they arise. Thanks for the clarification.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @antipole! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.