Master password and fingerprint fail on desktop app until restarting the app

sinan
sinan
Community Member
edited February 2020 in Mac

As the title suggests, all of a sudden 1Password started neither accepting my fingerprint nor the right password when manually entered. It starts working when I restart the app. It happens consistently every time 1Password is locked.

My workaround:
- open 1Password app,
- click on "1Password" on mac's menubar
- hold ctrl+option and choose "Quit 1password Completely"
- re-open 1Password
- password and fingerprint start working

Even though I have a workaround this is very annoying. Is this a known issue, can you help me fix this?

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:master password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sinan! Welcome to the forum!

I admit that this is the first time I hear about this. Are you able to consistently reproduce this every single time you lock 1Password?

• sinan
    sinan
    Community Member

Yes, also locking doesn't do anything until I close the window manually. You can see that in the screencast here, even though it's blurry you can see that I try to lock the screen from the menu but it doesn't do anything.

• sinan
    sinan
    Community Member

I downloaded and reinstalled the app. It fixed whatever it was.

• @sinan

Were you by chance previously using 1Password for Mac downloaded from the Mac App Store, and now are using 1Password for Mac downloaded from our website? We're currently investigating a situation with the latest version that appears to only affect people who install the app from the App Store, and I wonder if you're running into the same problem but with different symptoms.

Please let me know.

Ben

• sinan
    sinan
    Community Member

Hey Ben, nope that wasn't the case. But if it's any help, this started happening after I installed xcode command line tools with xcode-select --install or it was pure coincidence idk. This is on a new 16" MacBook Pro.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sinan:

Thank you for letting us know :+1:

• aaronjagger
    aaronjagger
    Community Member

Having this same issue. 2019 MacBook Pro 16. Master password and TouchID only work on first launch, cmd+q or lock/unlock all fail until "complete quit" again.

Also, may be unrelated, I am unable to sync my vault. I imported about ~150 passwords through a web session, and about an hour later still no items iPhone in my or macOS clients. iPad Pro did successfully sync, but it was installed and setup after the import - so no "sync", just an initial download.

Should I go ahead and clean install the app on both macOS and the iPhone? or would you like me to perform any troubleshooting steps?

• @aaronjagger

Can you confirm that your account has been added to both the Mac and the iPhone? If not you will need to add the account to those devices for the sync to occur. https://support.1password.com/add-account/
    Provided all of your data is in your account, you will also need to remove any vaults such as Primary. * Be sure all of your data is available to you in your account via https://my.1password.com before removing any vaults.

Where was the Mac app installed from, and what version are you using? Our web store or the Mac App Store.

• aaronjagger
    aaronjagger
    Community Member

@ag_tommy I can confirm the correct account is on the iPhone and Mac (and iPad) all three are using the same my.1password.com account with the same credentials and secret key.

I have the family plan, and only have the default "Private" and "Shared" vaults, no standalone vaults.

The Mac app was installed from the Mac App Store, and iPhone from the iOS App Store.

Should I go ahead and reinstall from the same sources, or are there any additional steps you would like me to take for troubleshooting.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 2020

@aaronjagger

I think the best option for you would be to remove and reinstall the iPhone app from the app store. This will create a new linking much like the iPad. As to the Mac app, I would download it directly from our web store and install it.

• Prior to swapping out the Mac app, it may be useful to gather some data. Please create a diagnostics report, using the following link to create that report for your device.

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics

The diagnostic report doesn't include any private information like your logins, Master Password, or Secret Key:
    About 1Password diagnostics reports: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics-privacy/
    Please send that report to support+forum@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

Your user name here in the forum. aaronjagger
    A link to this topic. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/111318/master-password-and-fingerprint-fail-on-desktop-app-until-restarting-the-app

• Do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format, please send the entire file.

Mac:

1. Open and then quit 1Password completely using ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    2. Drag the 1Password application to the trash.
    3. Download 1Password from our website: Download for Mac
    4. Run the installer

You have an account, so no need to worry about moving from the Mac App Store version. Adding your account to our web store Mac app will license it properly. Typically you will always see bug fixes though our web store version, before the Mac app Store.

edit: Add missing step 2

This discussion has been closed.