Determining source(s) of opvault size, also looking for a compacting feature

Options
Superfandominatrix
Superfandominatrix
Community Member
edited February 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I share my parents' vault and while tracking down disk usage increases, I discovered their opvault file size increased by about 3 GB month-on-month, increasing to current size of 5.22 GB. I don't see any obvious way inside the 1Password desktop app of pinpointing which records are larger sized records. I cleared out their Trash, deleting ~550 items but only maybe half dozen items were deleted in the last 3 months. Clearing the trash appeared to have no impact on the vault file size. I also looked for a means to compact the database but didn't see anything.

Any clues on what might be going on here? If there is functionality I'm overlooking to identify record file sizes / compact their vault, please let me know.

Me: Mac OSX 10.14.6, 1Password 7.4.2
Parents: Windows 10, windows version of 1Password, not exactly sure of their version but it's the version that supports tags, so 7.something

Thanks~

P.S. I've put their vault (normally used from their Windows app that doesn't have Smart Folders) through the Mac 1PW version's Smart Folder to determine number of records with file attachments. Only 30 records. They have 491 entries in their vault.

P.S.S. My personal vault is less than 200mb with 47 records having file attachments. I have 359 entries in my vault. Since their vault is closely sized to mine, I'd expect something no larger than 500mb.

1Password Version: Mixed
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: Mixed
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Superfandominatrix,

Thank you for reaching out!

It is quite strange that your local vaults are that large. However, if you have big attachments in your vault, it would explain things. Could you please specify how do you check the size of your local vault folders?

Also, please check the attachments that you have in your vaults. What is their size?

Thanks in advance! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

@Greg thanks for getting back...

please specify how do you check the size of your local vault folders?

I'm on Mac OSX 10.14.6 Mojave, used Finder and inspected (command + I) the "1Password.opvault" file. Between the parents and me, we have two vaults, one for me and one for them. We both use Dropbox syncing. Although they only use Windows PCs, I can inspect their vault file using the same method as their vault resides on my Mac's hard drive because of Dropbox syncing.

please check the attachments that you have in your vaults. What is their size?

Before I take the next step (checking the size of their vault attachments) I want to clarify something. The way I find records with file attachments on the Mac is by using SmartFolder > search all items > with all the following are true > number of file attachments > is greater than zero. If I create a SmartFolder query using 1PW for Mac, where does the saved SmartFolder query reside? In my vault or in my parents'? If SmartFolder query resides in my parents' vault, is there any risk to their 1Password vault and application usage by having a Mac feature (SmartFolder) inside a vault used by the Windows version of 1Password? IIRC, Windows version does not have or support SmartFolders. I just want to verify there is no risk to them before I go rooting around more deeply in their vault. Last night I created a Smart Folder based on the parents' vault data, but did not save it. To download and verify file attachment size, I'd like to be able to save a SmartFolder safely if I can.

Let me know~

• Superfandominatrix
    Options

I went ahead and inspected my Win10 parents’ 1password vault, synced via Dropbox to my Mac OSX 10.14.6 as follows. In 1password7 for Mac, created a SmartFilter to search through all items where number of file attachments is greater than zero. Inside 1PW, for each file attachment, clicked the drop down box to select “show in finder”, then did Command + I on the attachment to inspect file size. These are the results:

• Total number of items in vault: 490 items
    • Items with attachments: 30 items
    • Total number of attachments: 50 files
    • Max, Min, and Ave file size: 4.2 MB, 711 bytes, 1.81 MB
    • Sum of file attachments : 90.7 MB

In Finder, I dropped down under “1Password.opvault” to “show package contents”. Under that file, under \default\, there are 2,245 items, no individual file larger than 4.4 MB, all adding up to 5.22 GB. A subset of those files include 2,226 *.attachment files. In this type of file, I see a lot of conflicted copy files named like this:

32D8A8B3B3F343D2898F95CEE7A064BA_BC88D4BA-F72F-4CEB-BF71-30D61560A716 (parent’s conflicted copy 2020-01-20 1).attachment

My parents’ vault has 2,161 of these conflicted copy *.attachment files. In comparison, my vault has 5. Could these conflict copies be a source of vault size inflation?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Superfandominatrix,

Yes, it does sound like something is not right with this local vault (there should not be so many conflicts). If you have access to this vault in 1Password 7 on your Mac, please try to create a new vault in your Dropbox, copy your data from this old vault to a new one, and check how much space this new vault uses on your computer.

By the way, I would also recommend you to take a closer look at 1Password accounts, since it is much more convenient and it will help you avoid troubles with local vaults in the future. Moreover, we have accounts for families and you might be interested in one:

About 1Password Families

Let me know if you have any questions about it. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Superfandominatrix
    Options

@Greg thanks.... onto the next step:

If you have access to this vault in 1Password 7 on your Mac, please try to create a new vault in your Dropbox, copy your data from this old vault to a new one, and check how much space this new vault uses on your computer.

Yes, I have access. I am super confused at the moment about what 1PW is doing. On my Mac, I only have the option of creating a new vault "ON MY MAC". The File > new vault function does not permit creating a vault directly in Dropbox in one step. I created a new vault, and now have a "testvault". I populated "testvault" with the records from the parents' conflicted opvault. My problem is that I can't find testvault.opvault on my Mac hard drive anywhere. I tried my SmartFolder trick to find file attachments in this testvault, then did a "show in finder" on the attachment. That let me to a bizarre location on the Mac's harddrive:

MacHD⁩ ▸ ⁨private⁩ ▸ ⁨var⁩ ▸ ⁨folders⁩ ▸ ⁨w_⁩ ▸ ⁨qb9xct650wvfymk48d7qb0r40000gn⁩ ▸ ⁨T⁩ ▸ ⁨com.agilebits.onepassword7⁩ ▸ ⁨com.agilebits.Attachments.noindex⁩ ▸ ⁨EFDB8B2DB2D24645B058AA8C6AE038A4⁩ ▸ ⁨DDDCEEA8E34D447888F7B41216D74DDB⁩

Nothing in this location looks like a vault file. Since I can't find where testvault is, I can't inspect it for size. Mac version of 1PW does not appear to have the same functionality of the Windows version, where you can click the 3 dot icon next to the vault name to located it in Explorer. My usual Mac trick of Command + comma > sync tab does not show a file pathway because "testvault" is not in Dropbox. Using Finder search, name:.opvault returns my 2 production vaults. Does not show the testvault. Also rebooted just to see if that helped, no dice.

Help!

I want "testvault" deleted off my hard drive eventually, after we figure out the conflict file issue.

P.S. Yes, I want the parents on 1password.com for families. Dad is refusing. I will be able to make this change for them at some point, but now isn't that time.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Superfandominatrix, sorry for the confusion!

Indeed, when you create a local vault in 1Password for Mac, you can't do it directly in your Dropbox. However, if you created a testvault in 1Password 7 for Mac, please do the following:

1) Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.

2) Go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.

3) Find your testvault there and change the sync to Dropbox:

4) Choose the path for this vault in your Dropbox.

You should be able to find your vault there after that. Let me know how it goes. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

@Greg why oh why did I not figure this out yesterday! Thanks again. I completed this, testvault.opvault in Dropbox is 92.5 MB with the original 490 items, 30 items, same attachment numbers. So definitely something wrong in the parents' real vault.

Two more questions:

1) Do I need to do this for real, and swap out the parents' corrupt .opvault file with a "fixed" one? Or is there another way to repair their vault? If this is the way to fix their vault, is the preferred way for them using 1Password for Windows to create the new vault? Or can I safely do it for them using my Mac version of 1Password? I'll likely be remote desktoping into their PCs either way, to finish off the 1pw app config, so having to create a new vault in their Windows app is no issue for me.

2) On my Mac, when I delete testvault.opvault in 1Password (click 3 dot icon > Delete vault), will that completely delete this test vault off my Mac hard drive both in the Dropbox and outside of the Dropbox directory? The way the Sync tab worded moving testvault to Dropbox is that the syncing would create two copies of testvault, one in Dropbox and the original testvault that resided in a mystery location.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2020
    Options

Hi @Superfandominatrix,

I believe that it will be easier for you to do the following:

1) Create a new vault in 1Password on your Mac.

2) Copy your parents' data to this new vault from the old one.

3) Sync this new vault via Dropbox.

4) Start over with 1Password 7 for Windows on your parents' PC.

5) Set it up from scratch and point it to a new vault in Dropbox, which you created in step 3.

As for your second question, when you delete your vault via 1Password for Mac, it should delete it from everywhere (incorrect, see the correction here)

Moreover, I would still recommend you to upgrade to 1Password account, as it is much more convenient than all these troubles with local vaults and syncing via third party services (please note that this is Dropbox creating those conflicts, not 1Password).

If you have other questions, we are here for you. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Superfandominatrix
    Options

@Greg

1) Create a new vault in 1Password on your Mac.

perfect, know exactly what I need to do. thank you for working through this issue with me.

As for your second question, when you delete your vault via 1Password for Mac, it should delete it from everywhere. Let us know if that is not the case.

you never answered my question about figuring out where testvault resides when not sync'd into Dropbox so I don't really have a way to measure if the delete behaves as expected. So going back to my Feb. 6 question, before copying a vault into Dropbox, where on a Mac hard drive does the testvault data exist? I never could figure this out...

still recommend you to upgrade to 1Password account

I will definitely raise this idea and explain the why behind this issue, but even if the parents agree to the change today, we won't be making this change for the family until I visit them in person. Wildly hugely bigly bad idea to do this without in-person assistance right now. First need to a) fix my NAS - disk failure, b) rebuild my Mac - OS corruption, c) fix Dad's new computer - repeat blue screen of death + other broken stuff, d) resurface fiberglass bathtub - cracked, then e) set up 1password subscription for the family assuming nothing else breaks. In positive news, my phone isn't broken, so I've got that going for me.

please note that this is Dropbox creating those conflicts, not 1Password

not assigning blame towards AgileBits. I suspected as much given the creation dates on the conflict copies. If you look at other recent threads from me, you'll note that recently my Dad updated his PC Win7 -> Win10. We had other problems with Dropbox during the migration that affected data & applications beyond 1password. Not happy with Dropbox at all atm.

Thanks again... let me know about my Feb 6 question, and I'm good to go~

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Superfandominatrix,

When you create a local vault in 1Password for Mac, your data is stored in a local 1Password database, which is located here:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

This is a 1Password's internal encrypted database, not a vault. You'll only have an OPVault if you've configured 1Password to sync with a local folder or Dropbox.

Let me know if it answers your question. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

@Greg perfect, let the repair commence.

If something goes sideways, I'll report back. Thank you for working through this with me.

As for your second question, when you delete your vault via 1Password for Mac, it should delete it from everywhere. Let us know if that is not the case.

So I deleted testvault using Mac version of 1Password v7.4.2, and the delete did not perform as expected.

• OnePassword.sqlite file size pre-delete 246.3 MB, post 246.3 MB, so unchanged
    • testvault.opvault still remains in Dropbox.

Just to confirm my method > open 1Password > under "ON DROPBOX" section > click the 3 dot icon next to testvault > select "Delete vault..." > retyped testvault to confirm the delete > observed file size and files remained.

Normal or not?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Superfandominatrix,

It seems that I misinformed you a little. I apologise.

1Password data is cached in the support folder (whose location will vary depending on what you're using exactly), but there will only be a "vault" written to disk if you're syncing.

The location of support folder that I mentioned above is used when you install 1Password from the Mac App Store: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite.

If you install 1Password from our website, the support folder is located here: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite.

Moreover, when you delete your test vault from 1Password for Mac, the local vault file will not be deleted. So if you want to delete your local vault, please go ahead and delete that testvault.opvault from your Dropbox, then reboot. Reboot should clear the 1Password cache on your Mac.

Let me know if it clarifies this situation. Thank you!

P. S. I also added the link to the correction in my message above. Again, I apologise.

Cheers,
    Greg

• Superfandominatrix
    Superfandominatrix
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

Afternoon @Greg ~

Got things cleaned up today, switched over all the PCs and phones, new vault size for M&D is <100mb. Thanks again.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Superfandominatrix,

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that you are all set now. :chuffed:

If you ever decide to give 1Password account a try, feel free to contact us anytime, we will be happy to see you onboard. :) Of course, we are always ready to help you with your existing setup.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.